What's a good off road carb for the 230?

Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

Tbonem37
PVT
PVT

What's a good off road carb for the 230?

Post by Tbonem37 »

I posted this on PowerWagonAdvertiser, thought I'd try here too. My ETW1 wont run while I'm climbing. I've heard there's a Rochester that works much better, which model?

Thanks
amanco
PVT
PVT

Post by amanco »

This is just my own experience, but I have had no problem what so ever with fuel delivery with my truck. I have ascended and descended my truck on grades where if you hit the brakes you will slide the rest of the way. I say put your money into a pro rebuild and call it good.
Keith
1989-94 USN Active Duty Seabees
1953 M37 W/W
1946 cj2a project
Lifer
1SG
1SG

Post by Lifer »

You seem to have a fuel starvation problem going on. Most carbs (including your ETW1) are capable of handling almost any incline if properly adjusted and with sufficient fuel pressure. If you plan to go vertical, though, direct fuel injection would be the way to go. ;)
"PER ARDUA AD ITER"
Drew M.
CPL
CPL

Post by Drew M. »

Ditto - I put my M37 down slopes I could not walk down and over tons of bumpy rock trails during the Central PA SteelSoldier.com Rally 2 weeks ago - and the original B&B carb was flawless.

My Holley carbed Jeep CJ7 (401/T19/D300/D60/D30frt) would not have done so well.
Juan
SGT
SGT

Re: What's a good off road carb for the 230?

Post by Juan »

The original period.

On road, if you want better MPG we can say a Holley 1 barrell will do better, but when the road goes bumpy or climbing, the Carter is the king.
Juan Castro
Buenos Aires
Argentina
Wayne64
SSGT
SSGT

Post by Wayne64 »

Lifer wrote:You seem to have a fuel starvation problem going on. Most carbs (including your ETW1) are capable of handling almost any incline if properly adjusted and with sufficient fuel pressure. If you plan to go vertical, though, direct fuel injection would be the way to go. ;)
It may not be a carb problem, was you gas tank full? A large angle with a not too full tank will starve the engine. And Lifer one step after the FI is what some Rock Crawlers are doing, Propane :)
Tbonem37
PVT
PVT

230 Offroad

Post by Tbonem37 »

I have a fuel pressure gauge on the dash that takes its reading right before the carb--it holds steady when the engine is sputterin/bucking as if the fuel level in the carb is low--like I'm running out of gas.

I know this ETW1 needs a rebuild, I was just curious if there was a better carb out there for wheelin, since that's what this I use this rig for.

Thanks all
Lifer
1SG
1SG

Post by Lifer »

All carbs work the same way. If your ETW1 is in good shape, clean, and properly adjusted, it's just as good as any other carb out there.
"PER ARDUA AD ITER"