Patching Bed

Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

Rdinatal
CPL
CPL

Patching Bed

Post by Rdinatal »

The M37 bed previously had something bolted down (hose reel?). Over time that area has rusted through so there are now four 4"x4" patches of holes surrounding the original 1/2" bolt hole. The rest of the bed is in VG condition.

Where would I find some bed material to cut out patches for repair? Plan to cut/weld.
1952 M37 - Mods = Locking hubs, battery switch, 2 bank charger, PB, PS, Pertronix SSI, Elect fuel pump w/filter&pressure switch.

Planned: Seatbelts, Bimini top :roll:
ashyers
MSGT
MSGT

Re: Patching Bed

Post by ashyers »

Rdinatal,
Check with Midwest Military. I think they're making bits for floors.

Andy
John Mc
SSGT
SSGT

Post by John Mc »

I could swear I saw a post on here at some point by someone who had figured out a way to match the bends in the bed metal to make pieces for patches. He was just using common tools and scraps of metal for the form. I just can't recall when or where I saw it, or who posted it.
Last edited by John Mc on Mon Aug 19, 2024 6:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
1951 M37 "Brutus" w/Winch and 251 engine
Blue Chips
PVT
PVT

Post by Blue Chips »

Rdinatal wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2024 3:38 am The M37 bed previously had something bolted down (hose reel?). Over time that area has rusted through so there are now four 4"x4" patches of holes surrounding the original 1/2" bolt hole. The rest of the bed is in VG condition.

Where would I find some bed material to cut out patches for repair? Plan to cut/weld.
Any good sheet metal shop should be able to match the bends in the bed floor corrugations without any trouble if they have a small sample to work with. If you had a sheet metal bending brake you could do it yourself. If you're going to cut out the rusted areas, maybe you could include just enough solid metal to give the shop a sample.
Rdinatal
CPL
CPL

Post by Rdinatal »

All good replies, thank you.

Checking with Midwest first. Second will be local shops.
1952 M37 - Mods = Locking hubs, battery switch, 2 bank charger, PB, PS, Pertronix SSI, Elect fuel pump w/filter&pressure switch.

Planned: Seatbelts, Bimini top :roll:
Cal_Gary

Post by Cal_Gary »

Or, get a fuel sender access floor panel and use it.
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
MVPA Correspondent #28500