Valve Guide Removal

Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

delta31
PFC
PFC

Valve Guide Removal

Post by delta31 »

Everything I read says to drive them down and break of the first half, then drive down the remainder.
Do these guides really beak off that easy? I am worried about cracking the block.
Has any one here don that? How did it go?
Kaegi
SFC
SFC

Re: Valve Guide Removal

Post by Kaegi »

Yes that is usually how its done. break off the top half because the exhaust guides can expand after a zillion miles and be too hard to pound through. the blcok is very tough. the guids are also cast iron but probably not as tough as the block. If the cam is out you can drive them out from the bottom without any breaking.
ashyers
MSGT
MSGT

Re: Valve Guide Removal

Post by ashyers »

When we rebuilt the motor we removed them after the cam was out. We used some penetrating lube, made a driver and the rest of the deal was about commitment. Take a BFH and swing hard and out they go, just don't miss and ding the deck. We used new Sealed Power guides. There were different p/n's for exhaust and intake. If you need 'em I can try dig 'em up. You could also repair the current guide with a K-line kit or something similar. When we installed the new ones we put them in the freezer and drove them in with plenty of press fit lube.