Full Flow oil filter

Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

NAM VET
1SG
1SG

Full Flow oil filter

Post by NAM VET »

On my prior cars I liked to find a way to increase my oil filtering. So I have thought about doing something to augment the partial flow of my truck, with the knowledge that about 40 PSI or so, the filtering stops, as the oil gets hot. My truck on a hot summer day, after driving for awhile, will have my 10-40 Redline drift down to the high 30's oil pressure. Thus, no longer filtering. If I had my sump off, I would have someone weld in two bungs, and run an electric oil pump to a remote filter. But since Charles T put my sump on it has not a drop of a leak. So I am not about to take my pan off. I was looking around my motor a day ago, and thought about drilling a hole in the big drain plug, and either tapping it for an AN fitting, or just after have a hole drilled, having someone weld a bung on it. But then got to thinking about where to put a return line, and realized my fuel pump, being electric, let me put a fuel pump block off plate on the passenger side of the block. So I could have a hole and a welded bung there, for a return oil line. Then run say an AN 8 or AN 10 SS braided line from the sump, to a 24 V oil pump (they run 300-500 bucks), then to a remote oil filer, then to return in the block's side. I have a 100 amp alternator and two new batteries, so the wiring and draw would not be too much, with a dash switch to run the pump/filter when I wanted to. Plenty of room in the engine compartment for the pump and filter.

I can do this for maybe $800 or less, and I have made and have the tools for making AN lines. But of course, just frequent oil changes now would be easier. Does anyone have any thoughts as to risk or dangers of my full filter plan for my truck?
RMS
MSGT
MSGT

Re: Full Flow oil filter

Post by RMS »

if your willing to take off the pan to remove the cross over pipe you could drill the boss on the oil pump for your feed and plumb it through a couple spin on filters then drill and tap the big boss on the oil galley behind the genny and have full flow oiling and by pass and only need to buy a few fittings and a new oil pan gasket for around $20

I tried exploring it in this thread
http://www.g741.org/PHPBB/viewtopic.php ... g+the+info
silly photo bucked......
PB210011wtext1a.JPG
PB210011wtext1a.JPG (112.49 KiB) Viewed 657 times
.............................. use it ...............
RMS
MSGT
MSGT

Post by RMS »

PB1600061a.JPG
PB1600061a.JPG (96.17 KiB) Viewed 657 times
oil pump boss
.............................. use it ...............
just me
1SG
1SG

Post by just me »

Or you can quit over worrying something that worked fine for over 50 years.
"It may be ugly, but at least it is slow!"