spanish M37 OR M37B1

Talk about your truck here

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

M37DODGE
PVT
PVT

spanish M37 OR M37B1

Post by M37DODGE »

Hello I am a Spanish boy who have recently adquired an m37 from the spanish army, and I am not sure if it is a m37 or m37b1, well I do not know the differences betwen them so......

some pics:
http://img115.imageshack.us/img115/9536 ... ntexe6.jpg
http://img233.imageshack.us/img233/7992 ... nteok0.jpg
http://img150.imageshack.us/img150/6093 ... raslc5.jpg
http://img161.imageshack.us/img161/4231 ... erans3.jpg

Does somebody knows if with the VIN number could be known the year fabrication of the vehicle and perhaps where it worked befor being in the spanish army?

I need some spares for my restoration, so any recomendation would be helpfull

I hope I can find help here because ther is no lots in internet. It has non original engine neither transfer case.

Thanks for all

William
OLDSMOBILE 88 ROCKET 1955
CJ3B MITSUBISHI WILLYS JEEP
DODGE M37
LAND ROVER LIGHTWEIGHT LONG WHEEL BASE SOFT TOP
LAND ROVER LIGHTWEIGH LONG WHEEL BASE HARD TOP
Lifer
1SG
1SG

Post by Lifer »

William,

Your truck seems to be an M37. The M37B1 had its spare tire mounted on the driver's door and had an extra leaf in the front spring to compensate for the weight of the tire.

Are the original data plates still on the glove box door? If so, it should say if it's a "B1" model. Your VIN number (manufacturer's serial number) should also be there.

If your data plates are missing, you will have to look for your VIN number on the frame rail, usually on the left side just ahead of the steering box.

Before I forget to mention it, NICE TRUCK!! :D I hope you enjoy it for a long time to come.
"PER ARDUA AD ITER"
Nickathome
1SG
1SG

M37...

Post by Nickathome »

From the pictures, it is hard for me to tell if your truck is a first run M37 or a second run M37B1. As Lifer said, if your spare tire mount is on the driver's side door, then it is most likely a B1, however I have heard that some earlier trucks also got modified for the B1 type door mount or maybe the previous owners modified it, so it could be a difficult task to determine which truck you have. Your truck looks to be fairly complete, save the non-original headlights. Good luck with it, and stay glued to this site to have your questions answered.
M37DODGE
PVT
PVT

Post by M37DODGE »

Hi again,

At first say thank you both for your answers. The Spare tire is mounted in the bed so it should be an m37. There is no vin number neither in the glove bos neither in the front left spring, as the army delete the in order to sell it to a scraypyard, where I bought it, but I have hear some thing about a plate in the firewall, Could it be possible to find any number there?

Thanks again for your help.

Do you recomend any m37 spares supplier?

Good Bye
DODGE M37
Signguy

Post by Signguy »

There is another quick way to tell if a truck is a B1.

On the passenger side of the bed, just in front of the rear fender there is a peice of channel running vertically (outside of the bed). On the B1's its only about 4" long, on the "pre B1's" it's about a foot long.

You can tell in pic 3 that yours is "pre B1".
Nickathome
1SG
1SG

Channel

Post by Nickathome »

Yeah thats the channel which holds the fording pipe correct?
SOTVEN
SFC
SFC

Post by SOTVEN »

Hello William and welcome on board. Lots of great people here and lots of m37 knowledge. If you had the frame number, by registering your truck to this site it would automatically tell you what year it is, so you would know if it was a b1 or not (roughly 1950 to 1961 m37, 1961 to 1968 b1). Are you sure the number is not there? Usually it is under lots of paint from the many years of service. If it is so, a power wire brush is needed to clean the rail and get the stamped number. You said the engine and tranny is swaped. What are they from? is the engine gas or diesel? Interesting headlights there. Is it 12V or 24V? And again welcome aboard :)
LIFE IS SHORT AND ENDS UNEXPECTEDLY. MAKE EVERY MOMENT WORTH REMEMBERING.
Cal_Gary

Post by Cal_Gary »

Nice to see you back on line, Sotven, and a big welcome to M37Dodge as well-looks like we truly are a "global" club!
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
MVPA Correspondent #28500
M37DODGE
PVT
PVT

Post by M37DODGE »

the vin number was delete for sure i know now it has a 6 cilinder land rover santana engine 24 volts, and the head lights are as well from a military land rover.

The thing is: is there any other place apart of globe box panels and spring where find the vin number? maight be somethingh in the firewall?

thanks for all

William
DODGE M37
refit1701
1SG
1SG

Post by refit1701 »

I believe it is on the left side of the front frame rail. Look in front of the driver's side front tire.
The numbers might be hard to read but they should be there.
MSeriesRebuild
1SG
1SG

Post by MSeriesRebuild »

Lifer wrote:William,

Your truck seems to be an M37. The M37B1 had its spare tire mounted on the driver's door and had an extra leaf in the front spring to compensate for the weight of the tire.

Are the original data plates still on the glove box door? If so, it should say if it's a "B1" model. Your VIN number (manufacturer's serial number) should also be there.

If your data plates are missing, you will have to look for your VIN number on the frame rail, usually on the left side just ahead of the steering box.

Before I forget to mention it, NICE TRUCK!! :D I hope you enjoy it for a long time to come.
Concerning the front spring issue, there isn't an extra leaf on the left side, however there will be a 1/2" thick spacer under the spring pack on both front & rear on the left side IF it is the standard B1 configuration that had a door mounted spare.
Charles Talbert
www.mseriesrebuild.com
SOTVEN
SFC
SFC

Post by SOTVEN »

We are global that is for sure hahaha. M37 dodge, I am afraid that if all numbers have been cleared from your truck, no way of finding out when it was made. Like you mentioned there may be a number in the front of the cabin, (engine compartment passenger side I think) however in previous time discussion I some how got the notion that only a few trucks had that feature and not all. I wonder if Robi could enlighten you on this one if he sees your post. Is there a chance that the scrap yard has kept records of these trucks? the Army maybe? :?
LIFE IS SHORT AND ENDS UNEXPECTEDLY. MAKE EVERY MOMENT WORTH REMEMBERING.
Juan
SGT
SGT

Post by Juan »

refit1701 wrote:I believe it is on the left side of the front frame rail. Look in front of the driver's side front tire.
The numbers might be hard to read but they should be there.
To the front of the steering gear, you may need to sand it cause it may have many layers of paint.
Juan Castro
Buenos Aires
Argentina
M37DODGE
PVT
PVT

Post by M37DODGE »

No that´s the problem. It has been delate for sure with an electrical machine, I can see the cut on the chasis. But it seems to be a B1, so in which years were the M37 produced?

Thank you very much indeed
DODGE M37
AmarilloCorey
PVT
PVT

Post by AmarilloCorey »

M37DODGE wrote:It has been delate for sure with an electrical machine, I can see the cut on the chasis.
They cut the frame to remove the VIN?