Upright External Air filter

Talk about your truck here

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

JeffTheMarine
PVT
PVT

Upright External Air filter

Post by JeffTheMarine »

I don't know where I saw it but I saw an M with an upright air filter housing mounting on the passenger rear corner of the fender. With the hat on top so it pulls air from underneath and can't get water into it. Either way I have done a decent amount of google searching and cannot find what I'm looking for. Some help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Jeff
Monkey Man
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Upright External Air filter

Post by Monkey Man »

I have an 8" donaldson on the guard, horizontal though, not what you're looking for?
No pic at present, photo bucket is playing silly buggers and won't give me my library of pics :(

MM
Trained Monkey on Guard
dodgem37@netspace.net.au
52 M-42
SFC
SFC

Post by 52 M-42 »

I believe I've seen the picture you are referring to. That is not a standard military installation. It looked to be a home brew installation. The M-37 fording pipe never had a cap on the intake or a flapper on the exhaust extension. I've seen trucks with both installed.

One of the design parameters of the fording kit that is often ignored, is that it was only to be used for short intervals. The air cleaner fording shroud severely restricted the air flow and the exhaust extension increased the back pressure. Also,the bottom of the air cleaner shroud will crack if left installed for long periods of time.

You might want to consider airflow issues if you wish to modify the carburetor air filtration system. :wink:

52 M-42
JeffTheMarine
PVT
PVT

Post by JeffTheMarine »

Well I have searched and searched and found nothing that I want so I have come to the conclusion that I am just going to make my own. I am planning on finding an air filter that will work and building the housing around it.

Pictures to come once it begins.

Jeff
52 M-42
SFC
SFC

Post by 52 M-42 »

Good Luck with your project!

I look forward to seeing your build pictures. An external air filter would free up a lot of congested space in that rear right corner under the hood. If you use the existing fording intake hose hole on the right side of the hood, that would be a plus.

52 M-42
Monkey Man
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Monkey Man »

Finally Photo bucket stopped bogging down on me, here is my air cleaner setup....

MM

Trained Monkey on Guard
dodgem37@netspace.net.au