Should We Share Our Bargain Parts Finds ??

Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

w30bob
1SG
1SG

Should We Share Our Bargain Parts Finds ??

Post by w30bob »

Hi Guys,

This is probably going to be a bit of a touchy subject, if you know what I mean........but I'm wondering how you guys feel about sharing those amazing bargains on M37 parts you find with the rest of the forum. If you've looked around lately at the MV parts vendors and on the web you'll find parts prices are all over the map. They probably always have been, but I'm too new to this hobby to know that for sure. So when someone finds an incredible price on an M37 part..........should we post it here to let everyone else know....or keep it to ourselves, order what we need, and just forget about it?

Reason I ask is I frequently run across what I consider incredible deals..........like today I found M37 wheel studs that most are charging up to $10 a piece for......for $1.49 each. NOS, of course. I'm sure others on here are finding good deals too. Yesterday I found a lifting shackles for $24.95. Not for one.......but an NOS set of 4 !!! Guys at the meets want that for one shackle........here's 4 at $6 a piece. Most of the MV guys charge that just for shackle PIN !

But I don't want to upset the MV vendors that frequent this site either......they're our lifeline in the future to keeping these trucks on the road, and if they aren't making a profit they won't be around for long. So what do you think..........should we start a post on the topic (or if there's lots of interest maybe make it a page unto itself?)? Or just forget about it and let everyone find their own deals? I'm not trying to upset anyone either way, I just hate seeing people pay too much for things when they're available cheaper and people just don't know it.

regards,
bob
Monkey Man
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Should We Share Our Bargain Parts Finds ??

Post by Monkey Man »

Yes, share your bargain parts finds, everyone needs to work from a budget these days and you'll find the vendors here are more than reasonably priced anyhow so I doubt they would be offended :-)

MM
Trained Monkey on Guard
dodgem37@netspace.net.au
RMS
MSGT
MSGT

Post by RMS »

I just made a rubber lot order from armytankguy on ebay. most of his nos rubber is on average $3 cheaper than the other vendors listed prices. he also ships world wide 8)
I just wish "chair guy" would ship direct to me. :( he often has awesome deals.

anyone know who offers the best price on gaskets. full kit and a rear main ?
.............................. use it ...............
T. Highway

Post by T. Highway »

RMS wrote:anyone know who offers the best price on gaskets. full kit and a rear main ?
www.bestgasket.com

Bert
1952 M37 W/W Rebuild @ 59% complete
Engine rebuild @ 95% complete
1985 M1009, 1990 M101A2, 2008 M116A3 Pioneer tool trailer
MVPA # 24265
NRA Life Member
NRA Cert. Personal Protection Pistol Instructor
NRA Cert. RSO
Class III RSO/KCR
w30bob
1SG
1SG

Post by w30bob »

Bert,

Have you tried Egge? That's http://www.egge.com

regards,
bob
W_A_Watson_II
SFC
SFC

Post by W_A_Watson_II »

My anti virus detects a threat on the www.bestgasket.com site, could be a false positive, but FYI, they could have also been hacked.
Thanks,
Will
1946 Dodge Power Wagon
1953 Dodge M37 - "Frankenstein"
My 1953 Dodge M37 WEB Site
Chris P
CPL
CPL

Post by Chris P »

I think it's a good idea to post bargains. It helps those willing to offer things for low prices and it helps the people of this forum. Helping members of this forum is what this forum is for. I don't think it will hurt the venders appreciably. If they’re really getting $25 for their shackles, for example, they can buy the $6 ones themselves and turn a profit.
Chris P
1954 M37
MVPA
MHCC
RMS
MSGT
MSGT

Post by RMS »

don' know if its a deal but they look very 8) Imagehttp://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-Dualmatic-1 ... 44&vxp=mtr
.............................. use it ...............
mix4coal
PVT
PVT

Post by mix4coal »

How about posting part finds made in the USA. These days low priced parts are due to foreign made inferior parts.
Especially rubber goods.
jimmy_stikx
SGT
SGT

Post by jimmy_stikx »

Coming from a rodding background, posting about deals and who carries prove parts for a song is standard. Obviously there will be some specialty stuff that's high dollar, but that's for a reason, like if I want my early tranny rebuilt, I'd be more likely to arrange for MSeriesRebuild to do it versus a local place, mainly because he has more experience with that slightly oddball stick box, definitely the third members.

It's kind of like sharing DIY projects, there maybe products out there, but some of us don't have the money for a kit, but certainly have the time and ability to scrounge parts from yards and craigslist/ebay.
ZGjethro
SFC
SFC

Post by ZGjethro »

Anyone want to share a source of good rims, or tubeless Budd style rims?
Monkey Man
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Monkey Man »

Vendors aren't too worried about the bargains out there, some are not bargains as the stock os too old and has degraded as a result and the failure that follows quickly negates any saving. Other non-perishable items are aout there and at good prices but will eventually peter out to a very "hard to find" level and the vendors will have an almost guaranteed market, folks like VPW, Midwest, AB Linn, M series and other reputable dealers may increase their prices marginally to cover inflation and procurement costs, e-bay however will go price hungry, charge ridiculous prices (actually, I think they already do) and really hurt the end user as rebuild and repair costs blow out excessively.
Another option for anyone on here is to post a request for what you need and there is a good chance someone else may have it surplus to their needs. When querying a vendor for parts you can always ask if they have "B" stock parts (good takeoff parts or parts that are new but not quite 100%, eg, a little rusty or a dent etc. and most will welcome the opportunity to sell an item they otherwise may not have been able to and no reputable vendor would sell you a "B" stock part that was genuinely knackered.
About the only thing you can't put a price on is good solid advice and the great thing is it's freely available here 8)

MM
Trained Monkey on Guard
dodgem37@netspace.net.au
Brigand
SGT
SGT

Post by Brigand »

MM, you're right on the money there. The regular vendors are reliable and stand behind what they sell. Ebay on the other hand is and always shall be a crapshoot. You don't know what you'll receive ultimately. Between shill bidding and the uninformed bidders who are somehow convinced that whatever widget they are after is the very last one on the planet, prices tend to be ridiculously high for some things. I seem to remember the price of a b1 air cleaner being astronomical due to the influence of Ebay and other predatory sellers. I think I still have a couple in the pile if anyone still needs them however these examples lack the gold plate associated with the afore mentioned.
I believe the key to aquiring the needed parts is patience. Not a popular concept in today's "gotta have it now!" society . Sun Tzu is alleged to have written "If one waits by a river long enough, the body of his enemy will float by" Now that's patience my lads, no 4gb data transfer rate tor catch the latest twitter twaddle there. Of course in the conventional sense, patience simply means setting a reasonable price that you are willing to pay and refusing to bid a shilling more. Let those with more pence than sense dash their pocket books against the virtual auctioneer's podium, and then buy the next one or the one after that.
There are those who would say that they are justified in holding back 'deals' on parts or trucks as they have undertaken to do the research and track said bargains down by dint of a unique understanding of search engines. Those same people seem to have no qualms about leaning on the collective experience of those assembled here to help with an irksome trouble shooting problem they are experiencing. My point being, that sites like this are based on free exchange of expertise and information and any attempts too limit the discussion should be resisted lest it become like some other less friendly sites.
Sorry, didn't mean to write a novel here but I think it's a valid observation.
Last edited by Brigand on Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Brigand aka Bob Thompson

I would never join any club that would have me as a member.
jordankjcm
CPL
CPL

Post by jordankjcm »

Brigand,

You are spot on! I like your writing style. Not sure of your occupation, but if not an author now, you missed your calling.
98taco3
CPL
CPL

Post by 98taco3 »

RMS wrote:don' know if its a deal but they look very 8) Imagehttp://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-Dualmatic-1 ... 44&vxp=mtr
I found a set of these in a box of junk that came with my truck. Thought just the same thing, they look way cooler than the selectros that are on it now! When its put back together Im gonna clean them up and throw them back on.

They look WAY more military in origin than the selectros :P

I had no idea they were made in Longmont, CO, thats just 9 miles down the road! And another reason to bolt em on!