front line m37 storys

Talk about your truck here

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

RMS
MSGT
MSGT

front line m37 storys

Post by RMS »

a few years back i parked my m37 at a small grocery store. I had to run in and grab some grub for a short camping trip. i came out with hotdogs and other camping necessities to find a very large man who looked to be in his late forty's wearing a firefighters uniform, he was quaking and pale faced. I walked up and asked; hey man you OK ? all I got was a hundred mile stare. I walked to the side of the truck and tossed my goods in the cooler. looking over my shoulder i could see the firefighter frozen staring at the front of my m37. I slowly walked up to him and placed my left hand on his shoulder asking him again if he was OK. he was looking far off in time and shortly joined me saying: "I went back to my home land when I was young to fight for my country." "I was out on patrol near the border with some friends when we came under 50cal fire." "I was driving, the the 50 cal rounds tour through the truck right to left". "Bang!" (he pointed at the passenger door) "Bang" (his finger moved in an ark up towards the passenger windshield) "Bang!" "one friend was dead." "Bang!" (his finger was in the center of the passenger windshield) "my other friend was dead." "bang" he pointed at the center windshield support "that one was meant for me but the truck stopped it." " I don't know what I was thinking going home to fight". he turned and walked away saying "nice truck."
.............................. use it ...............
RMS
MSGT
MSGT

Re: front line m37 storys

Post by RMS »

100 views and no comments or story's :?

is it that my story is unbelievable? I had the same thought's, until my buddy Cory had a similar experience with the same guy at the same grocery store. it turns out that the guy is the fire chief and he had returned to Israel (I assume) to fight the PLO.
the story becomes even more unbelievable. i must first mention that I live just outside Vancouver BC witch is a cultural melting pot and in my yard I get all types looking for storage. One day a few months after my experience with the fire fighter. I had a guy named Useph come in looking to store his Toyota. he was very hard to understand and when I was showing him were to park he saw my M37 and said "we use to shoot at those all the time back home.......small world
.............................. use it ...............
jimmy_stikx
SGT
SGT

Post by jimmy_stikx »

I wish I did, most guys that find mine confuse it for a Willy's of some kind :?
Monkey Man
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Monkey Man »

You recon that's bad Jimmy, I have had mine called a Land Rover several times, like it's British built for a start????

MM :D
Trained Monkey on Guard
dodgem37@netspace.net.au
jimmy_stikx
SGT
SGT

Post by jimmy_stikx »

MM,

How,, what? I have a buddy in Wyoming with an older Landy. I have to say that they aren't even close.

I think you won this one.
Monkey Man
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Monkey Man »

Land rovers are more common here so I guess we get that comment more often as opposed to nice Jeep but you're right, apart from the green paint I don't see much similarity....

MM :D
Trained Monkey on Guard
dodgem37@netspace.net.au
DAP
SSGT
SSGT

Post by DAP »

In Kenya we used to say "Any place there were two or more Land Rovers in one place was very, very good . . . . you had the beginning of a junk yard" bwahahahahahaha
All in Air Force blue and black trim
1962 M37B1
rectangular window hardtop, converted to Hercules 4 cyl diesel-intercooled & turbo charged, 12V, disc brakes
1962 M116A1 Generator trailer
1962 M116A1 Pioneer tool trailer
1964 M101A1 3/4 ton trailer
Brigand
SGT
SGT

Post by Brigand »

RMS wrote:100 views and no comments or story's :?

is it that my story is unbelievable? I had the same thought's, until my buddy Cory had a similar experience with the same guy at the same grocery store. it turns out that the guy is the fire chief and he had returned to Israel (I assume) to fight the PLO.
the story becomes even more unbelievable. i must first mention that I live just outside Vancouver BC witch is a cultural melting pot and in my yard I get all types looking for storage. One day a few months after my experience with the fire fighter. I had a guy named Useph come in looking to store his Toyota. he was very hard to understand and when I was showing him were to park he saw my M37 and said "we use to shoot at those all the time back home.......small world
RMS, You shouldn't be too surprised that no one has chimed in. Things like that can be deeply personal. Sometimes a smell like burning mogas and sewage can spark an unpleasant memory. The sight of something that brings bad memories can bring some guys to a screeching halt. You can't fault them for it, only try to understand. I know a Korean war vet who can't stand the sight of my M37, and it's brushtruck yellow. I guess it depends on one's personal experience.
Brigand aka Bob Thompson

I would never join any club that would have me as a member.
Brigand
SGT
SGT

Post by Brigand »

DAP wrote:In Kenya we used to say "Any place there were two or more Land Rovers in one place was very, very good . . . . you had the beginning of a junk yard" bwahahahahahaha
Dap, How many LandRovers in Kenya and Nigeria or Africa in general, are running around with three pistons? Something about that #3 conn rod bearing.
Brigand aka Bob Thompson

I would never join any club that would have me as a member.
DAP
SSGT
SSGT

Post by DAP »

Hahahahaha

We used to also call a certain brand of motorcycle "Yammer Hammer" because of the sound they made being run on gas instead of gas with a 2 stroke oil added. I was always amazed at what was actually still running despite the "maintenance" done on it.

Some trucks had to back up the hill since compression was so low they couldn't make it in first gear.

I once followed an empty flat bed behind a truck. The flat bed had dual axles with dual wheels on it. the forward axle had no wheel on the one side. The springs kept it off the pavement until it hit a pot hole. Then the bare drum would bounce on the pavement and shower me with sparks on my motorcycle. Good thing the flat bed was empty.
All in Air Force blue and black trim
1962 M37B1
rectangular window hardtop, converted to Hercules 4 cyl diesel-intercooled & turbo charged, 12V, disc brakes
1962 M116A1 Generator trailer
1962 M116A1 Pioneer tool trailer
1964 M101A1 3/4 ton trailer