Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

jimmy_stikx
SGT
SGT

Engine troubles

Post by jimmy_stikx »

Never ending line of issues.

I have a temp rad on order, to help with cooling, but now it wont fire. I have spark, fuel is getting to the carb, and through it as I can smell gas at the tail pipe, but it's not firing. When it does sorta catch, it sounds like its back firing through the carb. There also seems to be gas leaking out of the carbs base when it ran for a while.

Now, my question is, is it possible I heat soak a condenser dead, or is it me carb? I havent tried poring gas in the elbow yet.

Ideas?

Also It ran fine for about 4 months intermittently, until the heat came and lead to the overheating issues.
pwrwagonfire
SSGT
SSGT

Re: Engine troubles

Post by pwrwagonfire »

I have just been down this route, I know how frustrating it can get!

Check out the carb, are the floats stuck? I saw a similar thing last year with a civi PW with the leaking.
jimmy_stikx
SGT
SGT

Post by jimmy_stikx »

I'm having a rebuild kit overnighted. I'm going to pull the carb off after work this afternoon. Now to search for an online manaul for the ETW1 to rebuild it.

Not a thing I was wanting to do right before a 3 day 4x4 trip through the Mojave Preserve.

Also setting my resolve more and more to completely delete the cast intake and exhaust and make sheet metal ones for the engine when I'm on leave in September.
jimmy_stikx
SGT
SGT

Post by jimmy_stikx »

Now the chassis seems to be building a charge whenever I turn the engine over. :x

Any ideas? The Carb Gasket was cooked.
jimmy_stikx
SGT
SGT

Post by jimmy_stikx »

Rebuilt the carb, changed the condenser and coil, checked the points and changed the ballast resistor, and now I have no spark, so no love from the engine.

Unless I make a major break through the Memorial weekend trip for the M is going to swapped to my other truck.

I don't know where else to look for possible issues.
jimmy_stikx
SGT
SGT

Post by jimmy_stikx »

Last double post, I swear.

Found the problems, I think I cooked my coil and condenser because I was missing a ballast resistor. I added one into the circuit, replaced the coil and condenser. I some how managed to wire the plate wrong on the dizzy so that's where the lack of spark came from. Fixed that, then found out the dizzy was in 180 out, fixed that, now the thing runs like a champ again.

Still probably going to name it "Suchka"
T. Highway

Post by T. Highway »

jimmy_stikx wrote:Last double post, I swear.

Found the problems, I think I cooked my coil and condenser because I was missing a ballast resistor. I added one into the circuit, replaced the coil and condenser. I some how managed to wire the plate wrong on the dizzy so that's where the lack of spark came from. Fixed that, then found out the dizzy was in 180 out, fixed that, now the thing runs like a champ again.

Still probably going to name it "Suchka"
Glad to hear that you got it running, are you running a civy Dist and oil pump?

Bert
1952 M37 W/W Rebuild @ 59% complete
Engine rebuild @ 95% complete
1985 M1009, 1990 M101A2, 2008 M116A3 Pioneer tool trailer
MVPA # 24265
NRA Life Member
NRA Cert. Personal Protection Pistol Instructor
NRA Cert. RSO
Class III RSO/KCR
jimmy_stikx
SGT
SGT

Post by jimmy_stikx »

Yeah, someone before me converted it to 12v, I know for sure on the dizzy, I'm assuming so for the oil pump.
T. Highway

Post by T. Highway »

You may want to check your oil pump, if it was not swapped out it may have worn out the dist bushings prematurely and be leading to the starting problems that you have been having.

Bert
1952 M37 W/W Rebuild @ 59% complete
Engine rebuild @ 95% complete
1985 M1009, 1990 M101A2, 2008 M116A3 Pioneer tool trailer
MVPA # 24265
NRA Life Member
NRA Cert. Personal Protection Pistol Instructor
NRA Cert. RSO
Class III RSO/KCR
jimmy_stikx
SGT
SGT

Post by jimmy_stikx »

What do I need to look for to identify it as either a civy pump or a mil pump? I honestly thing the big one was lack of a ballist resistor.
Monkey Man
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Monkey Man »

The military pump has an offset drive slot, the civilian one is centered, by fitting on in to the other type the misalignment will cause you grief (assuming they will even fit into place).

MM :D
Trained Monkey on Guard
dodgem37@netspace.net.au
jimmy_stikx
SGT
SGT

Post by jimmy_stikx »

When I pull it out, I'll check that.
vinnytruck
SGT
SGT

Post by vinnytruck »

QUESTION FOR jimmy_stikx, What do you mean by making sheet metal intake and exhaust ? thanks for the reply in advance. vinnytruck
vinnytruck
jimmy_stikx
SGT
SGT

Post by jimmy_stikx »

So basically something like on the last page of this:
http://www.g741.org/PHPBB/viewtopic.php ... ods#p41133

Possibly that exact link....

Depending on how unyeildy it'd be, a one piece equal length header would be nice, though I'd likely fab a 2 piece one and make a y-pipe collection it the single was to awkward. Probably fabbed from DOM 4140 with an ID as close to the intake/ exhaust ports as I can source. Also, likely not having a heat sink between the intake and exhaust. I've noticed later straight-6's didn't have them, and a few looked to have a V8 port arrangement. If I find that I need it, I'll add a heat transfer that uses engine coolant instead of exhaust gasses.
vinnytruck
SGT
SGT

Post by vinnytruck »

WOW Jimmy, Nice pictures...mine is cracked and someone told me to make them, I cant...what is something like this cost? Would you have to go thru many changes to apply? thanks vinnytruck
vinnytruck