Anzac day 2013

Talk about your truck here

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

Monkey Man
Site Admin
Site Admin

Anzac day 2013

Post by Monkey Man »

Today I attended the 2013 Anzac parade in the Dodge, it went well even in front wheel drive only and all other vehicles performed to a tee, the parade itself was great with all veterans having a good time but alas our WWII vets are passing on, the Vietnam Vets seem to be getting thinner on the ground, new veterans appearing from latter conflicts and yet with all history has taught us some people it seems to be lost on them as to the value of the sacrafice these good Men and Women have made, past and present.
As a Civilian I salute all who have served and are serving whom have defended our shores and gone to the aid of others, I have never served or have been of any value to the services so all I can do is show thanks and appreciation for the freedom we have by providing my time and vehicle to the ANZAC parade, hopefully what we all do brings happiness to veterans of all ages.
I will not forget...

"They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old;
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them."

Today, our thoughts are not only with those that have lost their lives fighting for our way of life and our country; not only with those that have been wounded in battle; not only with their brothers in arms that witnessed such horrific times; and not only with wives that lost husbands, mothers who lost sons, families who lost brothers, and mates who lost mates, but today we also spare a moment to think of those who are currently deployed overseas fighting for our freedom.

LEST WE FORGET......

MM
Trained Monkey on Guard
dodgem37@netspace.net.au
Cal_Gary

Re: Anzac day 2013

Post by Cal_Gary »

You add value to those of us who did serve by your kind remarks and saving military vehicles with their associated history-much appreciated! :)
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
MVPA Correspondent #28500
Carter
1SG
1SG

Post by Carter »

Tony, your comments are appreciated and as a member of the Davidson family that all have served as far back as Valley Forge during the American Revolution where the surgeon James Asher Davidson encamped with George Washington, officers and the troops, we thank you for your thought provoking post.

Carter
Carter
Life Member:
Delta, Peach Bottom Fish & Game Assn.
T. Highway

Post by T. Highway »

Tony,
Very well writen. I hope that this inspires more of the younger generation to particpate in our fine hobby (OD adiction) and understand what the Veterans have done for all of us.
My wife and I are always amazed by how many Vets walk up and strike up a conversation when we are out and about in a Olive Drab truck. The stories we've been told and the emotions that are expressed have been very moving at times.

Bert
MM, did you remember to take pictures?
1952 M37 W/W Rebuild @ 59% complete
Engine rebuild @ 95% complete
1985 M1009, 1990 M101A2, 2008 M116A3 Pioneer tool trailer
MVPA # 24265
NRA Life Member
NRA Cert. Personal Protection Pistol Instructor
NRA Cert. RSO
Class III RSO/KCR
bill monahan
CPL
CPL

Post by bill monahan »

AMEN
Monkey Man
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Monkey Man »

The part of my post (shown below) is not mine so I take no credit for it's creation, it belongs to the ceremony itself and I used it in my post, it describes what I and countless others feel and think and that remebering the people and their sacrafices of the past can help us move forward to a brighter future.

MM

"They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old;
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them."

Today, our thoughts are not only with those that have lost their lives fighting for our way of life and our country; not only with those that have been wounded in battle; not only with their brothers in arms that witnessed such horrific times; and not only with wives that lost husbands, mothers who lost sons, families who lost brothers, and mates who lost mates, but today we also spare a moment to think of those who are currently deployed overseas fighting for our freedom.

LEST WE FORGET......
Trained Monkey on Guard
dodgem37@netspace.net.au
Brigand
SGT
SGT

Post by Brigand »

Good on ya Tony. I can never think of ANZAC day without remembering that Eric Bogle song. And though it was written about WW I, it still carries meaning and reminds us to remember.
Brigand aka Bob Thompson

I would never join any club that would have me as a member.
Monkey Man
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Monkey Man »

As long as people take the time to pause and remember, James Edgar Jacob was a soldier, his body has passed on, his spirit burns bright in a lot of memories for how he was one of many that defended his Country, but Mostly as my Grandad, we were lucky, he was one of the guys that made it home and he was awesome to say the least...

MM :D

P.S. Bob, Yes, good song, a bit like the Redgum song of "He was only 19" and how it relates to the Vietnam "Conflict"
Trained Monkey on Guard
dodgem37@netspace.net.au
Brigand
SGT
SGT

Post by Brigand »

I apologize to the rest of you guys. I forgot to mention the song's title. It's called "The band played waltzing Matilda" written by Eric Bogle. Liam Clancy sang a very good rendition. You can probably listen to it on line.

Tony, your Grandfather sounds like he was a hell of a guy. I would liked to have met him.
Brigand aka Bob Thompson

I would never join any club that would have me as a member.
Monkey Man
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Monkey Man »

I am sure he would have liked to met all of you guys too :wink:

MM :D
Trained Monkey on Guard
dodgem37@netspace.net.au
m37jarhead
SFC
SFC

Post by m37jarhead »

I have to share with you guys this story.
A few years ago I was waiting in a staging area for a local parade to begin. Our military vehicle
club was well represented. I brought my 1943 Dodge military ambulance.
An old man wondered by and just stood looking at the ambulance. Never said a word.
Finally I asked him what he thought about the truck. Still he did not say much. I invited
him to climb in and sit behind the wheel. He sat there mostly staring out the window.
I could see his eyes were welling up. He finally told me that he drove one of these in
WW II. He said: "It was the worst job that I ever had."
I really did not know what to say. I invited him to ride with me during the parade and I
would return him to the starting point when the parade was finished. But he politely
declined. Probably too many bad memories.The old man paused, pulled out his wallet and
showed me an old black and white picture of him in uniform standing in front of the Dodge ambulance
that he drove during WW II. I was overwhelmed.
I thanked the old man for his service, he paused, turned away and walked off.
That's just one of the reasons that I restore and proudly display our historical
military vehicles.
Jerry
Member: Arizona Military Vehicle Collector's Club, Treasurer.
Past Pres
Member: MVPA #26600
Member: NRA
‘43 GPW, '53 M37 W/W, ‘54 M170 Field Ambulance,
59 M43, '76 M151A2, '86 CUCV,
'43 GPW, 416 & 101 trailers.