Battery Tray - What Resists Battery Acid ?

Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

w30bob
1SG
1SG

Battery Tray - What Resists Battery Acid ?

Post by w30bob »

Hi Guys,

This is continuation of a short conversation I was having in the Swap Meet section in regards to making the battery tray out of fiberglass. What I'm trying to determine is what materials resist battery acid? I see the original M37 battery tray was coated in a rubber-like material......but we all know they rusted. I've tried lots of products on steel to see if they'd resist battery acid, and so far the best I've found is dipping the metal in liquid rubber. That works for about a year on my lawn tractor's battery hold down bar and then corrosion forms under the rubber, as I assume the rubber is permeable, but it's the best I've found so far. Rust inhibitors/converters don't work.

So we got talking about making the battery tray out of fiberglass. As Jim said in the post he hasn't seen any fiberglass boats affected by battery acid.......which brings me to my next question. If fiberglass isn't affected by battery acid it must be the resin that's not affected and doing the protecting. Anybody familiar with how resins react to acid. I'm thinking if the resins are the way to do I'll just dip my battery tray in resin! Looking forward to your comments.

thanks,
bob
m37jarhead
SFC
SFC

Re: Battery Tray - What Resists Battery Acid ?

Post by m37jarhead »

Dipping the tray in resin sounds like it might work. Or, just buy a plastic tray from Walmart to put under the batteries.
I have an extra battery tray and can get it to you next month if you want to experiment with the resin.
Jerry
Member: Arizona Military Vehicle Collector's Club, Treasurer.
Past Pres
Member: MVPA #26600
Member: NRA
‘43 GPW, '53 M37 W/W, ‘54 M170 Field Ambulance,
59 M43, '76 M151A2, '86 CUCV,
'43 GPW, 416 & 101 trailers.
Zeke

Post by Zeke »

I have had good luck using Randolph Acid Proof paint. This is a black tar like coating that I have used on several battery trays on jeeps and trucks. It was still holding up when I got rid of the vehicles - lasted for a few years at least. It is an aviation product that you can get from an aircraft parts supplier like Aircraft Spruce & Specialty (their part number 344-QT). You brush on about three coats over cleaned and primed metal and it dries smooth with no brush marks.
w30bob
1SG
1SG

Post by w30bob »

Thanks Zeke........I never heard of that. Something to look into.

regards,
bob
Cal_Gary

Post by Cal_Gary »

Rubberized paint is what the military used.
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
MVPA Correspondent #28500