New Member in Ct

Talk about your truck here

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

mecoz54

New Member in Ct

Post by mecoz54 »

Hi guys, what a great job you all do here on this forum. I've recently bercome the proud owner of a Barn find (kinda) M37. Not really sure of the year as all the plates have been removed.the Odometer shows 2900 miles ( all backroads and trails most likely) and the body is in great condition ( alas no tailgate) I did however find that I can get the numbers off the frame from your forum and will do so next time Im down to work on her. She's an hour and a half away but I'm working on getting her here to Old Saybrook.
The only indicator I have so far as to year is the inspection sticker from the state of Mass listing her year as 1952.
Looks like she was in a volunteer fire dept before being retired, and has been converted to 12 volt years ago.Took about 1 hour to get her running and she sounds great.
I'm haveing an issue with the clutch and have read thru the pertinant forums. What I'm dealing with is: pedal has no resistance, removed inspection cover and looks like clutch needs adjusting.( truck was being used last year ) are there any links to the adjustment process on your site? I'm working at getting the floor plate off to make access a little easier
After shes rolling then its onto the master cylinder (leaking) and she'll be ready to move up here. Can't wait.
I'll have to read up on posting pics so I can get some up for you guys.
Thanks for any help and for such a great forum. Jim
Rick C
SSGT
SSGT

Re: New Member in Ct

Post by Rick C »

Hi Jim. Welcome to the group!!! I'm over in RI if u need any help.
Rick
m-37Bruce
1SG
1SG

Post by m-37Bruce »

Hey Jim, Welcome from Central VA! She sounds like a nice catch?
You should be able to put an eye ball on your serial #, on the driver's side frame rail, just ahead of you steering box, the stamped block #'s should be about 3/4" tall, and start w/800blanckety-blanck.
If not visible or blocked by under-coating (the VFD's loved this stuff, Zbart may have done for free) a straight edge razor will clear it away, maybe some light sanding for excess paint removal. Pictures are good to, learn that op quick, cuz we like 'em. That's to bad about the Data Plates, there might be one on your engine block, under your carby?
Bruce,

1953 M-37 w/ow

Retired Again

Keep Em Rollin'

VMVA
Cal_Gary

Post by Cal_Gary »

Welcome aboard Jim!
Glad to have you with us! Your clutch adjustment is accomplished via two adjusting bolts and a clutch fork cam retaining bolt-somewhat tricky depending on your clutch wear, and you'll need to generously lube that hardware before attempting any adjustment. Be sure you pick up TM9-8030 as soon as possible, as it will help you through a number of adjustments you are sure to need. Reach out to the Forum with any questions, as those of us who have gone before you have asked the same!
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
MVPA Correspondent #28500
WarrenD
SSGT
SSGT

Post by WarrenD »

Welcome. If you need advice re: CT DMV let me know, you'll need to jump thru a few hoops coming from out of state.
Tuko
SSGT
SSGT

Post by Tuko »

Mecoz!! :mrgreen:

Hi Warren DMV in CT will be difficult? (not surprised) I have an outta stater have not tried to reg it yet.
51 Dodge M37 W/W 4BT/NV4500

My G741 Registry Entry
WarrenD
SSGT
SSGT

Post by WarrenD »

CT DMV won't accept an out of state title. They want a VIN Verification. I had to get temp commercial plates and drag the truck to Wethersfield, wait for 3 hours for the Inspector who was more interested in why the tires didn't have DOT numbers. I later found out that there is a guy in COMVEC that can vin-verify MVs, would have saved a bunch of bucks and time.
Tuko
SSGT
SSGT

Post by Tuko »

i will be in touch with you when that goes down. I dont even have a title anyhow. :? me and mecoz (starter of this thread) are co workers. we both got our M37's within the last month. Figure out of 100 employees there has to be 2 lunatics in the bunch :shock:

My G741 Registry Entry
mecoz54

Post by mecoz54 »

To all the responders to this post, thanks very much for the welcomes and advice. Yeah Tuko and I are are friends who got into this at the same time and I'm sure we are going to be turning to you guys alot . The CT DMV doesn't sound like too much fun, hey Tuko, wanna tow both trucks to Wethersfield!?
I picked up the manuals in CD format and they will help greatly with adjustments etc. ( Tuk's I'll have to bring it to work for you.)
It appears, the clutch was most likely frozen, someone mashed petal to the floor and the adjustments spun on the rod for the forks. As soon as I can the Big Brother to lend me a foot I can get under there and make my adjustments.
Will need to order a new Master cylinder no big deal..... found the VIN numbers on the frame as instructed Shes a 1952 Delivered in Oct,52, build number 1002. I'll be adding her to the registry when I can post a pic.
Again thanks for the welcome guys......
Tuko
SSGT
SSGT

Post by Tuko »

mecoz54 wrote:To all the responders to this post, thanks very much for the welcomes and advice. Yeah Tuko and I are are friends who got into this at the same time and I'm sure we are going to be turning to you guys alot . The CT DMV doesn't sound like too much fun, hey Tuko, wanna tow both trucks to Wethersfield!?
I picked up the manuals in CD format and they will help greatly with adjustments etc. ( Tuk's I'll have to bring it to work for you.)
It appears, the clutch was most likely frozen, someone mashed petal to the floor and the adjustments spun on the rod for the forks. As soon as I can the Big Brother to lend me a foot I can get under there and make my adjustments.
Will need to order a new Master cylinder no big deal..... found the VIN numbers on the frame as instructed Shes a 1952 Delivered in Oct,52, build number 1002. I'll be adding her to the registry when I can post a pic.
Again thanks for the welcome guys......
midwest milatary has a master cyl rebuild kit for 24 smackers i was thinking of doing it just so i know its done i got a list of stuff to order from there ill call you see if you want me to grab you stuff to save on shipping at least

My G741 Registry Entry
HingsingM37
1SG
1SG

Post by HingsingM37 »

Welcome Jim. :mrgreen:
David
HingsingM37
1958 M37B1
1968 M101A1 Trailer
MVPA# 33078

"Do Not Take Counsel of Your Fears"
General George S. Patton Jr.

"Those who pound their guns into plows, will plow for those who do not".
T. Highway

Post by T. Highway »

Welcome to the site Jim, please remember that we like pictures of your progress on the truck.

Bert
1952 M37 W/W Rebuild @ 59% complete
Engine rebuild @ 95% complete
1985 M1009, 1990 M101A2, 2008 M116A3 Pioneer tool trailer
MVPA # 24265
NRA Life Member
NRA Cert. Personal Protection Pistol Instructor
NRA Cert. RSO
Class III RSO/KCR
mecoz54

Post by mecoz54 »

T Highway, I'm researching how to post a pic
m-37Bruce
1SG
1SG

Post by m-37Bruce »

Hey mecoz54
To post a pic, you'll need a host site (or web site, maybe?) I use webshots, so do Carter & Bill W, there are many. Depending on your software or os you might be able to host them your self. Just under the window where you are typing, "Upload attachment", double click on it, it will go to a file on your cpu, locate the file, high-light it and hit upload. I hope I made sense. I will post one from my webshots page and one from my cpu, one or the other might come up as a link??

This is the bolt that does double duty supplies a pivot point for the windscreen and supplies air to the windscreen wypers. I uploaded this from webshots. The files I have on my cpu evidently are to large to post!
I hope I have helped a little? If you have any questions, I'll try an answer 'em?
Regards,
Bruce,

1953 M-37 w/ow

Retired Again

Keep Em Rollin'

VMVA
mecoz54

Post by mecoz54 »

Thanks Bruce, I'll give it a try and hopefully get a pic of the truck up on the site..