How do you secure your M37

Talk about your truck here

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

obxron
PVT
PVT

How do you secure your M37

Post by obxron »

The guy in Cali started making me think about truck security when I'm out and about. My truck is rather conspicuous where I live, I'm usually more concerned with souvenir hunters than grand theft auto. Anybody out there wish to share their security procedures when it comes to their M37? Thanks.
Ron
1954 M37
Nickathome
1SG
1SG

Security...

Post by Nickathome »

I think there are locking door handles that can be purchased to safeguard your valuables. In the case of the cargo slot under the bed, a simple padlock on either door should be enough.

As to grand theft auto, unless its a well knowledged person in mil-veh operations, I doubt most people today would even know how to start an M37 much less make off with it. Other than that if you can keep the truck in a locked garage at night etc, that would help immensely. I consider myself fortunate in that regard as we have a garage that my truck sleeps in.

I too had thought of this and its the reason why I decided to not keep any tools, etc of any value in the truck. If they want my $13.99 tool set that bad they can have it, although I hope they leave the toolbag as I consider that to me more valuable. At any rate, they had better be fast runners because I'll still give chase (up to 45mph that is :lol: ).
CGarbee
SGT
SGT

Post by CGarbee »

Considering that I had a kid (who was old enough to drive...) ask me what that "extra" pedal was for, I kinda have to agree a bit with Nick on folk's inability to drive off in my rig even if they can figure out how to start it... Of course, that doesn't include the guys in my office where half the guys drove these things while on active duty or those of you who own similar rigs... :)

In addition to the padlocks on the toolbox doors, my truck has a loop rivited to the dash where a chain that is run through the steering wheel can be padlocked. I also have a battery cutout switch that is located in a place where I can flip it on/off without it being obvious to folks watching me when I start or stop the truck (not only a theft prevention device, but helps keep the battery up and prevents unpleasentness when working under the hood...).

I don't think that the average person thinks about looking under the seats, but there isn't anything too valuable there (jack stands, hub socket, slave cable, moderately priced tools, license plate, etc.)... I may get around to afixing locks on the seats so that they can't be flipped up, but other things are higher priority.

I have a tie down loop fixed to the front of the passenger seat box, and four in the bed (one in each corner) that I use to restrain items when driving that work well for securing items such as my nicer toolbox since I can run a locked chain through them...
'53 USMC M37 w/Cummins 4BT
'64 XM708,
'51 M38
'73 M817, '71 XM813, '70 M816, '84 M931
http://www.garbee.net/~cabell
http://www.eastcoastconvoy.com
http://www.gravesmountaintrailrides.com
Lifer
1SG
1SG

Post by Lifer »

Some valid suggestions have been made for those who don't mind "altering" their trucks, but none will deter the determined thief. The California truck was not driven away...it was towed. Quick, easy, and quiet. As for drive-away thefts, I think the "low-tech" aspect of our trucks is sufficient. Most car thieves and/or joy-riders are young, 20-something and under, who would have no clue how to start an M37 and who do not know how to operate a vehicle with a manual transmission (as in "what's that extra pedal for?"). They're more interested in high-dollar luxury cars with automatic transmissions, air conditioning, and high-tech sound systems.
"PER ARDUA AD ITER"
knattrass
SFC
SFC

Post by knattrass »

I have a gun rest in my second story window.... between the foot starter, choke, throttle, and my lab.. I should have it covered. If they make it out of the driveway, I have the mailbox, the street light, and a large maple tree sighted in. Just kiddin...
Nickathome
1SG
1SG

theft

Post by Nickathome »

Lifer wrote:Some valid suggestions have been made for those who don't mind "altering" their trucks, but none will deter the determined thief. The California truck was not driven away...it was towed. Quick, easy, and quiet. As for drive-away thefts, I think the "low-tech" aspect of our trucks is sufficient. Most car thieves and/or joy-riders are young, 20-something and under, who would have no clue how to start an M37 and who do not know how to operate a vehicle with a manual transmission (as in "what's that extra pedal for?"). They're more interested in high-dollar luxury cars with automatic transmissions, air conditioning, and high-tech sound systems.
Not to mention that an M37 tooling down the road stands out like an Amish buggy on Sunday afternoon. Don't think there'd be much of a need for even an APB, as 100 people will see the thing the minute it hits the street.
monkeymissile
SSGT
SSGT

my plans

Post by monkeymissile »

I'll likely get the locking door handles since they are very close to stock appearance and also a locking battery cut-out
1953 Dodge M43

Fail often to succeed sooner
M-Thrax
SGT
SGT

Post by M-Thrax »

I had a keyed batt disconnect switch on my 37.
Also I would leave one of the windshields unlocked that way I could lift it and reach in with my arm and lock/unlock the door and then close it and go about my business as most thieves won't think about getting in via that route either
tmbrwolf
PFC
PFC

Post by tmbrwolf »

I use the GI system, a chain secured to the body and a padlock, won't keep somebody from towing it away but they won't be driving it!
Ken
SFC USA (ret)
51 M37
52 M38
TOM R
SSGT
SSGT

Post by TOM R »

don't think there is any real way to stop it from being towed away, windows are easily broken if you install door locks, an alarm systm and parked in gear is probly the only real way to slow em down, i know our insurance requires that our historic vehicles be locked in a garage or similar when at home
1945 t24/m29 weasel
1946 cj2a ww2 style
1954 m37
mvpa 31698
nra lifer
jbxx
SGT
SGT

Post by jbxx »

#1 Locked garge (barn)
#2 Battery disconnect
#3 ignition disconnect
#4 ignition point grounding switch ( in all my vehicles )
located in glove box
J.B. AD6WX
knattrass
SFC
SFC

Post by knattrass »

I have a keyed ign, and a marine application batt kill switch under the p/s more for drainage than theft. I would be interested in the locking ext handles if someone had more info on where to get them?
monkeymissile
SSGT
SSGT

VPW

Post by monkeymissile »

knattrass wrote:I have a keyed ign, and a marine application batt kill switch under the p/s more for drainage than theft. I would be interested in the locking ext handles if someone had more info on where to get them?
VPW-theirs are $35 each I believe. Flat handles, not curved, but close enough for me
1953 Dodge M43

Fail often to succeed sooner
SOTVEN
SFC
SFC

Post by SOTVEN »

Hello all. If someone is determined to steal, he will do so first chanse he gets. No antitheft device will stop thieves, ever. Personally, I have the locking handles, tollbox locks, battery cutout, and a padlock on the central hood latch. All those are there just to give me the illusion of safeguard. After all it is just rug all around the truck, which one can cut and enter silently. After realising that, I uncover the whole thing on May and re-cover it on October, leaving it topless all those monts with just a poncho over the seats for the occational rain. After all, it does stick out like a "sore thumb" going down the road. In the mean time I live in a rellatively small city with just 120.000 people, and being perhaps the only person with sideburrs, I often get the line "oh you are the guy with that... uhm... what is that green truck anyway?" :)
LIFE IS SHORT AND ENDS UNEXPECTEDLY. MAKE EVERY MOMENT WORTH REMEMBERING.
ELBUFO
PFC
PFC

Going going gone.

Post by ELBUFO »

Everything has been mentioned except the fuel shutoff valve. I am new to the "M"game but mine has one. The other option that comes to mind is to disconnect the distributer. Most folks I suspect would not know what to make of a waterproof ignition. I suppose one could even make up a dummy cable just encase. Another option would be to remove the shift tower rod. If it works like it looks, just unbolt it. The old standby the chain and lock: If you don't want to bolt the chain down, just run it through the steering wheel lock it and wrap it around the clutch or break pedal and use a second lock. As in all things, if somebody really wants it it theirs.