Electric wiper motors

Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

Wes
PVT
PVT

Electric wiper motors

Post by Wes »

Let me start by saying I hate air powered wiper motors. I am a locomotive engineer and even in the most modern computer controlled locomotives have these crappy air powered wipers. My engine produces enough electricity to power a small city but some genius decided it would be a great idea to stick with 1950's technology for the wipers. Anyway, I want to swap out the wipers on my M-37 for electric but I want them to look correct. Any suggestions?
Wes
powerwagontim
SFC
SFC

Re: Electric wiper motors

Post by powerwagontim »

Hi Wes,
I have a set of new 24 volt wipers for an M37 that I wont be using. PM me if you are interested in them.
Thanks,
Tim
Happiness is enjoying what you already have!
8543bob
SSGT
SSGT

Post by 8543bob »

Good morning,
I removed the original wiper motors and have yet to replace them. I dont use the M in the rain and if I did I have cleand the glass with RAINX, works great. Marine supply dealers carry wiper motors in 12, 24 and 32 volts, self parking, etc. Ck out West Marine or a good marine hardware store.
GOOD LUCK BOB
cuz
1SG
1SG

Post by cuz »

To answer your question I know of no supplier of electric wiper motors that will have the appearance of the original vacuum wipers motors on your M37. There are existing surplus M151A3 and Heavy M series truck 24 V electric wiper motors out there.
Wes K
wsknettl@centurytel.net

54 M37, 66 M101, 45MB, 51 M38, 60 CJ5, 46 T3-C
MVPA 22099

Disclaimer: Any data posted is for general info only and may not be M37 specific or meet with the approval of some esteemed gurus.
m-37Bruce
1SG
1SG

Post by m-37Bruce »

Have you checked out Cabel Garbee' page, he has done a good to fair job w/electric wypers? http://www.garbee.net/~cabell/electricwipers.htm
Also try Charles at m-series rebuild.
Bruce,

1953 M-37 w/ow

Retired Again

Keep Em Rollin'

VMVA
Lifer
1SG
1SG

Post by Lifer »

Wes wrote:Let me start by saying I hate air powered wiper motors. I am a locomotive engineer and even in the most modern computer controlled locomotives have these crappy air powered wipers. My engine produces enough electricity to power a small city but some genius decided it would be a great idea to stick with 1950's technology for the wipers. Anyway, I want to swap out the wipers on my M-37 for electric but I want them to look correct. Any suggestions?
M37 wipers are vacuum operated, hence not worth a darn. Now, an AIR operated system might be OK if you could be assured of a steady and controllable air flow. ;)
"PER ARDUA AD ITER"
anthony manzella
SSGT
SSGT

Post by anthony manzella »

I have bought a set of eletric wipers from Charles they just look and work fine with just minor work and you can't beat them. give him a call and he will put you on the money, " go to my Photo Album and then punch in up grades and that will show you the new wipers and motors ". 8)
Hit Duh Ground Runnin
ZGjethro
SFC
SFC

Post by ZGjethro »

Anthony, I checked out your photos. Nice truck! What can you tell me about those wipers. Do they self park, work in tandem, intermittent(?). How much were they? I need to upgrade to something as my vacuum wipers are non-functional now. I'd like to avoid paying multiple hundreds of dollars if it can be avoided
M37UK
SSGT
SSGT

Post by M37UK »

ZGjethro wrote:Anthony, I checked out your photos. Nice truck! What can you tell me about those wipers. Do they self park, work in tandem, intermittent(?). How much were they? I need to upgrade to something as my vacuum wipers are non-functional now. I'd like to avoid paying multiple hundreds of dollars if it can be avoided
I can tell you about the wipers as I bought a set from Charles also. The conversion is a real neat job but you have to be careful with drilling the new holes in the window frame for the wiper shafts to go through.
They are 2 speed, self park and run independently of each other. both wipers are operated from 1 switch and the switch also has the facility to power a washer if required.
The only down side is the cost I'm afraid. They run into multiple hundreds of dollars ($500) but I dont think you will find a better solution anywhere.
They are very well made motors and everything is designed for heavy duty use. If you fit a cheap system you will be replacing it after a year.

Hope this helps

Cheers
Stu

1952 Dodge M37 with 1952 M101 Trailer
MVT UK
SMVG Scotland
anthony manzella
SSGT
SSGT

My wipers from Charels are the best way to go . Don't remember the cost I would need to look that up if you wish, as mention be verry carefull when drilling the new holes it will be verry close to your Glass. 8) Contact Charles he is the Man .. :D .
Hit Duh Ground Runnin
anthony manzella
SSGT
SSGT

My wipers from Charels are the best way to go . Don't remember the cost I would need to look that up if you wish, as mention be verry carefull when drilling the new holes it will be verry close to your Glass. 8) Contact Charles he is the Man .. :D .
Hit Duh Ground Runnin
monkeymissile
SSGT
SSGT

Post by monkeymissile »

[/quote] Now, an AIR operated system might be OK if you could be assured of a steady and controllable air flow. ;)[/quote]

Lifer, your comment got me thinking...can the original vacuum wipers be made to run off compressed air instead? I ask because I'm installing a compressed air system in my truck; it would simple to run a line to the wipers....
1953 Dodge M43

Fail often to succeed sooner
powerwagontim
SFC
SFC

Post by powerwagontim »

MM,
I have tested vac. wipers by connecting them to my air hose. They either move back and forth or they dont! I do not see why it wouldnt work to run them on air.
Tim
Happiness is enjoying what you already have!
Sal
SFC
SFC

Post by Sal »

Doesn't Deuces and other large MV have on board compressors that there wiper work off of, and they seam to operate pretty good :?:

Sal
:mrgreen:
1954 M37 WO/W
1969 M101A1
1967 M416
anthony manzella
SSGT
SSGT

"Topic" Electric Wipre Motors , the Best are from Charels. As always it's Your "M" so do as you would Wish, If you always go out in your M 37 with 1 or more people you can always save a Buc or 2 by useing Piano wire from 1 wiper to the next and down each side an use hand Power. 8) :mrgreen: .
Hit Duh Ground Runnin