Radiator cooling fan

Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

rixm37
MSGT
MSGT

Radiator cooling fan

Post by rixm37 »

I would like to know if there is a better cooling fan for the radiator. Can you get a modern flex fan that is a direct replacement? Does anyone run an electric fan ? I am replacing my thermostat and putting on a new water pump. Any ideas ?
Thanks.
1952 M37
M101 trailer
1942 Chevy G506
powerwagontim
SFC
SFC

Re: Radiator cooling fan

Post by powerwagontim »

How about a 6 bladed fan like the canadian 251s used, and was also an option on Power Wagons? A bit noisier, but will move more air!
I have one on my M37 and it has never overheated. (Of course I have also never driven it!)
Tim
Happiness is enjoying what you already have!
SOTVEN
SFC
SFC

Post by SOTVEN »

I AM SURE THAT ELECTRIC CAN BE PLACED IN PLACE OF THE OEM, AND I AM SURE THAT YOU WOULD SPARE ABOUT A HORSE IN POWER BY DITCHING THE ORIGINAL BLADES OF THE WATER PUMP. WHY DO YOU NEED TO DO THAT THOUGH? PERSONALLY I HAVE HAD VEHICLES WITH ELECTRIC FANS, AND MORE THAN ONCE I FOUND MY SELF IN THE PREDIGAMENT OF NON OPERATING FAN DUE TO WIRE SHORTAGES, CONNECTION, FUSES YOU NAME IT. I WOULD NOT BOTHER CHANGING THE ORIGINAL EQUIPMENT. IN GREECE THE TEMPETURE IN THE SUMMER MAY REACH 118f AND I OVERWORKED MY TRUCK MANY TIMES. NEVER HAD AN OVERHEATING PROBLEM. :)
LIFE IS SHORT AND ENDS UNEXPECTEDLY. MAKE EVERY MOMENT WORTH REMEMBERING.
Brett
SSGT
SSGT

Post by Brett »

Are you having cooling issues? If so the problem may be with your water distribution tube.

Brett
hbb
SSGT
SSGT

Post by hbb »

rixm37 wrote:I would like to know if there is a better cooling fan for the radiator. Can you get a modern flex fan that is a direct replacement? Does anyone run an electric fan ? I am replacing my thermostat and putting on a new water pump. Any ideas ?
Thanks.
My thought is has anyone tried a mechanical fan clutch system? I would be interested in exploring that route.

hb
The wiseman who listens to his students stays a wise MAN!
rixm37
MSGT
MSGT

Post by rixm37 »

Thanks for the replys guys. I was driving to an event a couple of weeks ago and the trip was about 40 miles each way and temps in the hi 80's. I was towing my M101 as well. On the way out the temp was a steady 180 and then about the last 6 miles it started to climb and worked it's way up to 220. I arrived at the event and spent the night and did some driving there but just little hops around the airport. On the way home the temp ran right up to 220 and stayed there. I stopped several times on the way home but no boil over. just running hot. SO I am hoping it is the thermostat that failed and not something like the distribution tube. I have ordered one that fails in the open position and is rated at 180. So while I got the water out I thought I would install my new water pump from John Bizal and why not try out a new fan. I got a nice 6 blade one here but I wil have to make a new spacer because it needs a 5/8 pin on the spacer to center the fan. The current spacer does not have that. It has a hole in the center. IF I can find a 3 inch diameter piece of aluminum I could make a new spacer on my old lathe.
I also know that lots of guys use electric fans. So far they seem pretty expensive over 200 with shipping and like Sotven said if you loose electric you loose your cooling. So I really am just looking for an option for a better fan while I have everything apart. Oh and hope that in the end the temp returns to around 180.
1952 M37
M101 trailer
1942 Chevy G506
Lifer
1SG
1SG

Post by Lifer »

Since you are changing the water pump anyway, now would be a perfect time to check that water distribution tube. It's right behind the water pump. If there's any evidence of rust-out (especially at the narrow end), it would be wise to replace it while you've got the water pump off. I don't know how much they cost these days, but they used to be really inexpensive. Changing it now could save bigger expense further down the road.
"PER ARDUA AD ITER"
rixm37
MSGT
MSGT

Post by rixm37 »

Thanks Lifer. Besides pulling the radiator how hard is it to R and R ? Will it break in two or something or do they just slide out and slide in ? IF its pretty easy I will do it but if it falls apart then...... another challenge ...

I see Vintage has them and I think Bisal does also .

So also got my 3 inch diameter aluminum rod here in town. I am going to make a new spacer that has a 5/8 pilot on it to center my new 6 blade flex fan.
1952 M37
M101 trailer
1942 Chevy G506
m37jarhead
SFC
SFC

Post by m37jarhead »

Rick:
Hoping your problems are just the thermostadt and does not turn into a more expensive fix.
My WWII WC ambulance had the same problem. Run fine for a while but then the heat started
to build. It WAS the thermostadt. Guess clean livin' paid off.
How 'bout you keep all of us posted on the "final" fix. A pic or two of the six blade set up would
be great too. Can't have too much cooling in Arizona in August. :)
JB
Member: Arizona Military Vehicle Collector's Club, Treasurer.
Past Pres
Member: MVPA #26600
Member: NRA
‘43 GPW, '53 M37 W/W, ‘54 M170 Field Ambulance,
59 M43, '76 M151A2, '86 CUCV,
'43 GPW, 416 & 101 trailers.
rixm37
MSGT
MSGT

Post by rixm37 »

You got it Jerry, I will post as I work it out. I found this huge metal supplier and fabricator in Tucson called CAID. Huge place. They sell left over stock and cut off peices. In my case even cut a 6 inch piece of 3 inch diameter aluminum for me, a very small order for such a huge company.
So I am going to chuck up that nice chunk of AL and see what I can create. :D
1952 M37
M101 trailer
1942 Chevy G506
Lifer
1SG
1SG

Post by Lifer »

rixm37 wrote:Thanks Lifer. Besides pulling the radiator how hard is it to R and R ? Will it break in two or something or do they just slide out and slide in ? IF its pretty easy I will do it but if it falls apart then...... another challenge ....
I wouldn't even hazard a guess on how hard it is to do. Some come right out, while others seem like they're welded in place. Some come out in one piece, and others come out in chunks. Obviously, if it comes out in pieces it really needed changing in the first place.

What you do will depend on your inspection and judgement. Good luck! :)
"PER ARDUA AD ITER"
T. Highway

Post by T. Highway »

Rick,
I just did my water tube last month and it wasn't that difficult to remove. I tapped a screwdriver blade in around the front edge and gently wiggled the tube a little, then clamped a needle nose vise grip on and pried it out. Once I got it to move, it slid right out. I bought the tube from Midwest Military. It was very nice quality and chromed so it will last longer.
1952 M37 W/W Rebuild @ 59% complete
Engine rebuild @ 95% complete
1985 M1009, 1990 M101A2, 2008 M116A3 Pioneer tool trailer
MVPA # 24265
NRA Life Member
NRA Cert. Personal Protection Pistol Instructor
NRA Cert. RSO
Class III RSO/KCR
rixm37
MSGT
MSGT

Post by rixm37 »

OK let's start at the begining.
So I will go through what I am doing step by step.
FIrst get the correct themostat. I finallly got the right thing after talking with Charles T. about theremostats.

This is the correct thermostat from NAPA #55 is 160 and #155 is 180. They had a 160 on the shelf so I bought it. I ordered 2 more at 180 to have on my shelf.

So here for comparrison is the style we see most often and is wrong for the M37.

Mine was equipped with the wrong style. As I was cleaning up the housing I found this little cast in hole. How cool is that? Dodge made a little relief hole so air can escape from the system and a little water can get through also. However with the wrong thermostat this hole in not functional.
I tried to hi light it with a red circle.

So stay tuned and when I get back from work and get rested probably Sunday I will contiue with the post.
RIck
1952 M37
M101 trailer
1942 Chevy G506
m37jarhead
SFC
SFC

Post by m37jarhead »

If the 160 thermostadt is correct why did you buy two 180's?
Member: Arizona Military Vehicle Collector's Club, Treasurer.
Past Pres
Member: MVPA #26600
Member: NRA
‘43 GPW, '53 M37 W/W, ‘54 M170 Field Ambulance,
59 M43, '76 M151A2, '86 CUCV,
'43 GPW, 416 & 101 trailers.
rixm37
MSGT
MSGT

Post by rixm37 »

So now for a little update. The new thermostat is in and the 6 blade fan has been adapted. After about 25 miles of driving I am getting 180 to 190 degrees on the gauge. So I am happy I don't have to pull the distrubtion tube.
1952 M37
M101 trailer
1942 Chevy G506