M37 in Nike missle batteries

Talk about your truck here

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

rickv100
SGT
SGT

M37 in Nike missle batteries

Post by rickv100 »

Would M37's have been assigned to 1950's era Nike batteries?

Is there a source for Army TOE's online?

Rick
Lifer
1SG
1SG

Re: M37 in Nike missle batteries

Post by Lifer »

It's more than likely, yes. They were great "grocery getters" for the guys in the field. They held way more than a Jeep and fit into places where you couldn't get a bigger truck through. Hauled everything from ammo to toilet paper.

On the TO question, Steel Soldiers (www.steelsoldiers.com) has a good collection of TOs available for download.
"PER ARDUA AD ITER"
k8icu
1SG
1SG

Post by k8icu »

I can't say for shure, but I can remember as a kid going past the Nikie sight near my house and seeing M37s and M211s and M38A1s.... So I would have to agree with Lifer that it's probably a yes. Being a 3/4 ton I would think the units station there would have had them as part of their TO&Es.
M37s are HMMWV in my world!
MikeOneSix
SSGT
SSGT

Post by MikeOneSix »

My Uncle was in one of those units. I'll see if I can get a hold of him and ask.

Matt
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups
M42Dodge
PVT
PVT

Post by M42Dodge »

This is an excellent topic. I grew up near BU-52, a double launcher Nike base near Buffalo, NY. I always wanted to mark my truck for the unit that manned the battery. I found info saying the battery was designated "D/465th or D/2/62nd" AAMBs. I really have not figured out how they would have marked the truck as photo evidence seems non existant.

Here is a large website about Nikes...

http://ed-thelen.org/

TJM
MikeOneSix
SSGT
SSGT

Post by MikeOneSix »

Sent an e mail and received a reply from my Uncle. He was stationed at a (Nike then Ajax) missle base in Rhode Island. What he told me is that they had 2.5 tons and jeeps but no M37s.
Matt
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups
HingsingM37
1SG
1SG

Post by HingsingM37 »

K8ICU, Yes, I remember driving past that old missle sight on a field trip as a kid, where was it again? Westlake, Fairview Park, or closer? Those would be some neat unit markings to use on my truck.
David
HingsingM37
1958 M37B1
1968 M101A1 Trailer
MVPA# 33078

"Do Not Take Counsel of Your Fears"
General George S. Patton Jr.

"Those who pound their guns into plows, will plow for those who do not".
Paddyofurniture
SGT
SGT

Post by Paddyofurniture »

M42Dodge,

I am thinking with my limited know age of military markings your truck would be marked:

D-truck number, Like D-26 on one side of the front bumper or on the rear.

2 / 2162 – letters , 2 is for second battalion, 2161 unit number, and a letter like “I” for Infantry. I do not know what the letter call out is for on a Nike battery. This would be on
side of the front bumper or on the rear.

Paddyofurniture
cuz
1SG
1SG

Post by cuz »

Back then they were still "AA" Anti Aircraft and "AD" Air Defence units.
Wes K
wsknettl@centurytel.net

54 M37, 66 M101, 45MB, 51 M38, 60 CJ5, 46 T3-C
MVPA 22099

Disclaimer: Any data posted is for general info only and may not be M37 specific or meet with the approval of some esteemed gurus.
k8icu
1SG
1SG

Post by k8icu »

HingsingM37 wrote:K8ICU, Yes, I remember driving past that old missle sight on a field trip as a kid, where was it again? Westlake, Fairview Park, or closer? Those would be some neat unit markings to use on my truck.
They were in Fairview Park but close to the Westlake boarder. You entered the site off of Westwood Rd. There was a long drive with a gate guard. You could see the radar dome but that was about it. It was turned into a housing development in the late 80s early 90s. No sign that it was ever even there. They should put a plackard up by the road as a historic site or something..... :(

Funny thing my oldest brother had to go there one summer as part of his ROTC training in the late 60s....:lol:
M37s are HMMWV in my world!
T. Highway

Post by T. Highway »

M42Dodge wrote:This is an excellent topic. I grew up near BU-52, a double launcher Nike base near Buffalo, NY. I always wanted to mark my truck for the unit that manned the battery. I found info saying the battery was designated "D/465th or D/2/62nd" AAMBs. I really have not figured out how they would have marked the truck as photo evidence seems non existant.
Here is a large website about Nikes...
http://ed-thelen.org/
TJM
Thanks for including the NIKE link, I see that several of these were located just north of my location.
1952 M37 W/W Rebuild @ 59% complete
Engine rebuild @ 95% complete
1985 M1009, 1990 M101A2, 2008 M116A3 Pioneer tool trailer
MVPA # 24265
NRA Life Member
NRA Cert. Personal Protection Pistol Instructor
NRA Cert. RSO
Class III RSO/KCR
NebM37
PVT
PVT

Post by NebM37 »

I just looked but I cant seem to find it. A local library here had a photo of a M37 at a atlas site here in Nebraska. I know the unit that manned these sites had a few M37's.... these same units also managed the Nike sites in latter years i do believe.

NoRM
M42Dodge
PVT
PVT

Post by M42Dodge »

NebM37 wrote:I just looked but I cant seem to find it. A local library here had a photo of a M37 at a atlas site here in Nebraska. I know the unit that manned these sites had a few M37's.... these same units also managed the Nike sites in latter years i do believe.

NoRM

Keep in mind that Nike bases were US Army while ICMBs were US Airforce, I think...

There is a book put out called "Rings Of Supersonic Steel" that is all about the Nike systems and locations. The Ed Thalen site is pretty much all inclusive as is the book.

I reserched the base near my boyhood home and I located aerial photos of the base being built, and in later years in it`s "up and running" situation. I wasnt able to pick out any M37s in the photos. Many M211s and M35s though.

Here is a photo of the 91st AAA AW Battalion, In Germany and a "Skysweeper Unit (Artillery)I think...

TJM
Lifer
1SG
1SG

Post by Lifer »

...and here is an M51 Skysweeper to go with it.
Attachments
Skysweeper.jpg
Skysweeper.jpg (24.35 KiB) Viewed 1648 times
"PER ARDUA AD ITER"