Having some issues, can you help?

Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

goodtimejonny

Having some issues, can you help?

Post by goodtimejonny »

I've got a '52 M37, all original parts except for the fuel pump which is a Carter. Original fuel pump is still on the block, just not hooked up. I rebuilt my carburetor using one of those snakeriver4x4 rebuild kits. I put the carburetor back on the engine, and I got a ridiculously high idle. So, my cousin said use the idle mixture screw. I turned on the engine, turned the screw clockwise. The engine revved up extremely high then made a loud poof noise and shut off. Now, the engine will not start. I talked to my teacher, he said to make sure the float level was correct, and to check for vacuum leaks on the lines for the carburetor. So, I readjusted the float level to get that 5/64ths. I put said carburetor back on the engine, made sure the idle screw was in the correct starting position, according to the carburetor sheet. The engine still does not start. Also, wouldn't the engine have to be on to check for vacuum leaks?

If anyone has any ideas at all, I'd love to hear them. I'm stumped. Also, ask any questions if it will help the diagnosis. Thanks.
Captnsim
SGT
SGT

test for

Post by Captnsim »

Inspect for spark and fuel. If you have those do a compression test.
MSeriesRebuild
1SG
1SG

Re: Having some issues, can you help?

Post by MSeriesRebuild »

goodtimejonny wrote:I've got a '52 M37, all original parts except for the fuel pump which is a Carter. Original fuel pump is still on the block, just not hooked up. I rebuilt my carburetor using one of those snakeriver4x4 rebuild kits. I put the carburetor back on the engine, and I got a ridiculously high idle. So, my cousin said use the idle mixture screw. I turned on the engine, turned the screw clockwise. The engine revved up extremely high then made a loud poof noise and shut off. Now, the engine will not start. I talked to my teacher, he said to make sure the float level was correct, and to check for vacuum leaks on the lines for the carburetor. So, I readjusted the float level to get that 5/64ths. I put said carburetor back on the engine, made sure the idle screw was in the correct starting position, according to the carburetor sheet. The engine still does not start. Also, wouldn't the engine have to be on to check for vacuum leaks?

If anyone has any ideas at all, I'd love to hear them. I'm stumped. Also, ask any questions if it will help the diagnosis. Thanks.
Have worked on and rebuilt many, I'll be happy to help you, but will need to ask some questions and talk with you about what you have done. Give me a call at 704-474-4683 and we will discuss the issues.
Last edited by MSeriesRebuild on Sat Oct 31, 2009 7:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Charles Talbert
www.mseriesrebuild.com
goodtimejonny

Post by goodtimejonny »

Hey, thanks. I will call you tomorrow.
Tom @ Snake River
SSGT
SSGT

Post by Tom @ Snake River »

Hope you get it figured out. Charles' help would be great.

Sound like my HUMMER. I was driving my 03 H2 back home tonight, and about 30 miles from home, the engine stopped running, no fuel what so ever, no warning.
Had to pay a $60.00 tow.
These H2's a a flying wonderfull POS, seems like it is in the shop more than out. LOL
www.snakeriver4x4.com
M-37's - WC-51 - M-29C - WC-25 cc - CCKW
M-274 - M-101 - G-527 Water Buffalo
G-7117 Chevy
Captnsim
SGT
SGT

Post by Captnsim »

So how did it go? Get er fixed?
MSeriesRebuild
1SG
1SG

Post by MSeriesRebuild »

Captnsim wrote:So how did it go? Get er fixed?
I talked to him a couple of days ago, I think he is in the process of checking some things out.
Charles Talbert
www.mseriesrebuild.com