distributor cap

Talk about your truck here

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

thejester
PVT
PVT

distributor cap

Post by thejester »

who sells a good cap? I have two black caps from a supplier and both of them will not fire..I put the old cracked one back in and it runs good..
cuz
1SG
1SG

Post by cuz »

Are they foreign made?

Did you check with Ron at G503 parts up there in Oregon? He's come into a large supply of M series electrical.
http://www.g503.com/parts/

Remove the distributor from the engine. Try soldering a short piece of copper wire to your rotor's copper tip. About a 1/4". Then point it straight out and install the cap. rotate the distributor very slowly by hand. Can you feel or hear the copper wire ticking on the terminals in the cap? If yes then the cap dimensions are off a bit. If no then they are really off. Take the cap off and slightly bend the wire upward a little. Install the cap and check again. Keep doing this until your wire makes contact with the terminals in the cap. Once you've made contact with your wire to the terminals in the cap then nip a small piece ( 1/16" at a time) off the wire untill the tick quits. This is now the length tip you need on your rotor. Once you know how much extension and in which direction you need it you can modify an extra rotor by adding a strip of copper to the rotor's existing copper tab by brazing or riveting.

This makes the caps usefull and saves a bit of change.
Wes K
wsknettl@centurytel.net

54 M37, 66 M101, 45MB, 51 M38, 60 CJ5, 46 T3-C
MVPA 22099

Disclaimer: Any data posted is for general info only and may not be M37 specific or meet with the approval of some esteemed gurus.
MSeriesRebuild
1SG
1SG

Post by MSeriesRebuild »

We have some good quality caps, $40 plus shipping.
Charles Talbert
www.mseriesrebuild.com
Lifer
1SG
1SG

Post by Lifer »

That's what I'd call a "desperation, get-you-out-of-a-really-bad-situation" trick, but it would sure beat a 150-mile hike back out of the desert when your truck died. ;)
"PER ARDUA AD ITER"
cuz
1SG
1SG

Post by cuz »

Something we learned to do in the 50's when we didn't want to spend another $3.50 on another cap just to end up with a bigger collection of non-fitting caps. Remember that $3.50 would gas my 55 Chevy up for a full evening of cruising back home on a Friday night!
Wes K
wsknettl@centurytel.net

54 M37, 66 M101, 45MB, 51 M38, 60 CJ5, 46 T3-C
MVPA 22099

Disclaimer: Any data posted is for general info only and may not be M37 specific or meet with the approval of some esteemed gurus.
thejester
PVT
PVT

Post by thejester »

do you take visa yet charles?
MSeriesRebuild
1SG
1SG

Post by MSeriesRebuild »

thejester wrote:do you take visa yet charles?
Not into the credit card thing, convenient, it sure is, but also would force me to charge you more as the convenience of using a card for you cost us more to do business. Nothing is free. If I were a parts vendor, I would get set up to take cards, since we are a rebuilder/restorer, it really wouldn't pay. Most of our customers are billed monthly and pay by check.
Charles Talbert
www.mseriesrebuild.com