Let us (er) strip...

Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

Cal_Gary

Let us (er) strip...

Post by Cal_Gary »

I finished patching up the blowholes in my cab this past weekend, and also got to try out some stripper on the tranny cover. Well, 6 colors later and a quart of stripper took off 50 years of layering. Anyway, I was impressed with the Jasco Epoxy and Paint Stripper so I just bought another gallon along with a shower curtain liner, rubber gloves, and some stripping pads. I plan on tackling the dash and interior this week, in order to make it presentable. Why a shower liner? To collect the runoff in a catch-tub down thru the floor center so I can re-use it. Can't afford to spill any-this is nasty stuff. One drop on my finger was a real eye-opener. Speaking of which, yes, I have a mask and goggles, too, and got the strangest looks on Saturday from some of my neighbors while in that Dr. Jeckyl getup.

More to follow,
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
MVPA Correspondent #28500
knattrass
SFC
SFC

Post by knattrass »

We used about 4 gal to strip the doors, hood, and various flat panels. We found that IF you are careful, you can use a 6" or 4" wire wheel on the end of a variable speed drill after letting the stuff soften the paint. Like you observed, the top layers melt off, its the original green and red oxide primer that makes a man out of you. Careful - Keith
Cal_Gary

Post by Cal_Gary »

Thanks Keith! Caution for sure which is why I'm trying to avoid the wire wheel drill if I can because slinging the stripper wouldn't be a good thing. I was able to gut the cab last night: seats, chains, tools, and assorted odds and ends to give me plenty of room for moving around. Since I already redid the gauge cluster I'll just pull it forward and cover it up with some plastic bags to keep the stripper out.
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
k8icu
1SG
1SG

Post by k8icu »

I understand the pros and cons between using stripper and using a media blaster, but for me I'd rather use the media blaster. I try to subscribe to the work smarter not harder rule of thumb.

Oh and yeah....."this thread is worthless with out pics...:lol:"
M37s are HMMWV in my world!
Cal_Gary

Post by Cal_Gary »

Hi K8,
I have noted your comment about pictures and could not agree more! Yes, I'm taking pictures of every sub-project on my M, from Day One; unfortunately I cannot yet spring for a digital camera, so my pix are all on film or CDs and the rolls await development. Once I'm caught up on missing and needed parts I'll try for the digital. Once that happens, I'll be sure to ask for help in posting them, so all can see! :lol:

Also, I'm pushing the paint project in order to have a nice shot for the 2010 MVPA directory, and September/October are the best months weather-wise out here in CA in order to get the painting done.
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
Cal_Gary

Post by Cal_Gary »

Well, last evening I slathered on some stripper from the gauge cluster slot over to the driver's door seam, working from the top of the cowl down to the bottom of the dash. Multiple coats of paint, and a surprise: some type of yellow sticker that was affixed to the right of the steering column and just below the headlight switch. I couldn't make out exactly what it read but it appeared to be some type of warning label. Yep, a messy job, but necessary. The shower curtain liner was a huge help in collecting the debris. I will soldier on again tonight....

Oh, my new neighbors saw me and advised it appeared all I was missing was my CHAINSAW! I'll have to get a picture-old guy with old clothes, eyeglasses with goggles over them, and orange rubber gloves- BAH HA HA HA!!
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
HingsingM37
1SG
1SG

Post by HingsingM37 »

And I am sure you did all this with the stripper in an enviro friendly fashion? Like the paint booth in my album pics?:lol:
David
HingsingM37
1958 M37B1
1968 M101A1 Trailer
MVPA# 33078

"Do Not Take Counsel of Your Fears"
General George S. Patton Jr.

"Those who pound their guns into plows, will plow for those who do not".
Cal_Gary

Post by Cal_Gary »

As enviro-friendly as an isolated apartment parking space can be, with the shower curtain liner catching everything I'm peeling away. I must say this this not the enjoyable part of the mission but will pay off once I have the fresh primer and Gillespie 24087 sprayed on....
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
k8icu
1SG
1SG

Post by k8icu »

The "Good Driver" sticker was yellow and could be found on the dash, on the door or where ever local command wanted them. That might be the sticker you found? I'd say it would be like 2x6" in size (give or take)

It looks like this

They updated and changed it a little in 1976, but I posted the older version.
Cal_Gary

Post by Cal_Gary »

That is exactly it!! Thanks K8!
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
Carter
1SG
1SG

Post by Carter »

"Oh, my new neighbors saw me and advised it appeared all I was missing was my CHAINSAW! I'll have to get a picture-old guy with old clothes, eyeglasses with goggles over them, and orange rubber gloves- BAH HA HA HA!!

:D :D :D

Been there, done that and used the T shirt to sop up the mess.
My neighbors think I'm nuts, right up until they need me and the truck to plow 3' of snow from their driveway, then they think I'm Ok, after that I go back to being nuts in their opinions.
Carter
Life Member:
Delta, Peach Bottom Fish & Game Assn.
Cal_Gary

Post by Cal_Gary »

I've only gotten one negative response in the 5 and a half years I've had it-from the old battle-ax who still haunts the building across the way (the same ambulance-chaser who just had to go see one evening when they rolled a neighbor out on a gurney....) She's a real peach-picture Piper Laurie in "Carrie" with sandy hair.... :shock:
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
Carter
1SG
1SG

Post by Carter »

One of my neighbors called the cops and told them I had unlicenced junk trucks on my property. The county sheriff came for a visit and ask where the trucks were and when I opened the garage showing them to him he said I was not breaking any laws, in Maryland vehicles have to be licenced and tagged to sit outside but since one is tagged and both are garaged, no problem. Don't know who called but I guess they wanted the trucks, me or all gone. I have lived in this neighborhood, on the same street, since I was 5 yrs.old, that makes it 60 yrs, and no one has ever given me any grief before but new folks move in and want their little bit of paradise and don't want to see that old geezer with those army trucks.

Until it snows :wink:
Carter
Life Member:
Delta, Peach Bottom Fish & Game Assn.
k8icu
1SG
1SG

Post by k8icu »

Cal_Gary wrote:That is exactly it!! Thanks K8!
Gary
No problem glad to help.

Joe
Cal_Gary

Post by Cal_Gary »

Well I'm still at it, and David is right: the upper coats peel away with relative ease, while the original base oxide and OD hang on for life! I sluiced up the driver's side cargo boxes/seat base last evening, and the flat surfaces seem to loosen up easieer than the dash panel paint. At the risk of jinxing myself, I'm shooting to finish the cab stripping and lay down the base primer this weekend, if all goes well (yeah Lifer, still taking that hill)!
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W