How do I install a new top??

Talk about your truck here

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

Jeff in north Texas
PVT
PVT

How do I install a new top??

Post by Jeff in north Texas »

OK, I give up. I got my new vinyl top from Beachwood Canvas the other day. There are no instructions with it. I see how the back is to be tied down, but how in the heck to you attach the front edge above the windshield?
I got the two long straps for the top with the kit, and I see where they go. However, they sent some small metal "angle" strips with some little push-in pins. What are these for and where to they fit? Any and all help will be appreciated, as I need to get this installed while we have nice weather.
Thanks,
Jeff
Cal_Gary

Posted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 1:59 pm Post subject: How do I i

Post by Cal_Gary »

Hi Jeff,
I can help with part of this:

There should be a small channel rail running the width of the front edge of the top of the windshield frame. Your canvas/vinyl top should have a seam with approximately a 3/8 size cord running the entire width of the top. You feed one of the top cord ends thru one end of the channel then work it all the way across, centering it up once it's completely through.

Easier to lay the top canvas on your hood upside down (interior top side UP), with the back of the top facing the front of your M. The top cord seam on the front edge of the vinyl should then be closest to the windshield frame, (probably laying on the vent cowl). Stand up from the interior, reach over the windshield frame, grab one end of the seam, position it from the passenger side, and start feeding it through the channel seam toward the driver's side.

Once you have it all the way across and centered, flip the entire top up and over to the back framework. That will give you the rough fit, and the canvas covers up the channel because it folds over it. For the strips and push pins I do not know, as I'm waiting for the window supports to be delivered per my swap meet post earlier this week :wink:

Hey, take a look at my M the day I picked it up-it's in the registry and might give you some idea-look carefully at the top edge of the windshield frame to see how the old canvas edge folds over the channel.

http://www.g741.org/m37registry/display ... nercount=1

Hope this helps,
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
MVPA Correspondent #28500
MSeriesRebuild
1SG
1SG

Post by MSeriesRebuild »

The angle pieces should fit the notches in the framework over the door windows, generally easy to do.
Charles Talbert
www.mseriesrebuild.com
Jeff in north Texas
PVT
PVT

Thanks gentlemen. I will have another go at it tomorrow, now that I have some guidance from these replies.
Jeff
m-37Bruce
1SG
1SG

Soft Top

Post by m-37Bruce »

My notches/slots needed to be relieved a little bit, both sides. I ended up using my sawsall, worked very nice. 8)
Bruce,

1953 M-37 w/ow

Retired Again

Keep Em Rollin'

VMVA
Nickathome
1SG
1SG

Angle pieces....

Post by Nickathome »

Hmmm, I would have thought the angle pieces would have been sewn into the top as mine were. At any rate there are three to a side and they fit into the three corresponding slots above each door window.

As a piece of advice, have a second set of hands to help you when installing your top. You need to start on the left side of the windshield when starting the front of the top into the long slot there, and its good to have someone helping you guide it in as the top will kink up and get caught in the channel if it isn't slid in fairly straight. At least this is what happens to mine (canvas). With the second person helping it goes in much easier. Once thats done then its just a matter of flipping the top over as was mentioned previously.
Jeff in north Texas
PVT
PVT

Re: Angle pieces....

My kit only came with two metal brackets for each side. I kind of see where they go, but still have not figured out what purpose they serve. It seems like you have to drill holes in that window frame and either pop rivet or screw these brackets into place.
Why do they need to be installed? It appears this was not part of the original truck design, or they would already be on the truck. Or, at least the holes would have been provided when built new.
Sorry for all these questions, but I have never looked at the top arraingement of an M37 closely, do not have one nearby to look at, and do not want to mess up this new and somewhat expensive top.
Jeff

Nickathome wrote:Hmmm, I would have thought the angle pieces would have been sewn into the top as mine were. At any rate there are three to a side and they fit into the three corresponding slots above each door window.

As a piece of advice, have a second set of hands to help you when installing your top. You need to start on the left side of the windshield when starting the front of the top into the long slot there, and its good to have someone helping you guide it in as the top will kink up and get caught in the channel if it isn't slid in fairly straight. At least this is what happens to mine (canvas). With the second person helping it goes in much easier. Once thats done then its just a matter of flipping the top over as was mentioned previously.
Lifer
1SG
1SG

Post by Lifer »

On my original (but totally wasted) canvas top, the metal angles are riveted to the canvas and slide into slots on the window frame.
"PER ARDUA AD ITER"
m-37Bruce
1SG
1SG

Pic Worth A $$$

Post by m-37Bruce »

I'm gonna take some pics now, I have some spare parts that I will use to do this. I have added 5 picy's to my door album, hope these help some?

http://www.g741.org/photogallery/main.p ... temId=2328

TTYL,
Bruce,

1953 M-37 w/ow

Retired Again

Keep Em Rollin'

VMVA
MSeriesRebuild
1SG
1SG

Re: Angle pieces....

Post by MSeriesRebuild »

Jeff in north Texas wrote:My kit only came with two metal brackets for each side. I kind of see where they go, but still have not figured out what purpose they serve. It seems like you have to drill holes in that window frame and either pop rivet or screw these brackets into place.
Why do they need to be installed? It appears this was not part of the original truck design, or they would already be on the truck. Or, at least the holes would have been provided when built new.
Sorry for all these questions, but I have never looked at the top arraingement of an M37 closely, do not have one nearby to look at, and do not want to mess up this new and somewhat expensive top.
Jeff

The angles are the original design, the should be riveted to the canvas & then simple slip into the slots as the top is installed, keeps the sides tight & in place.

Nickathome wrote:Hmmm, I would have thought the angle pieces would have been sewn into the top as mine were. At any rate there are three to a side and they fit into the three corresponding slots above each door window.

Charles Talbert
www.mseriesrebuild.com
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

The canvas top should have had them rivited in already. There is 2 pieces with 2 tabs on each piece for each side. If they were not installed that is half a$$ed on the top makers product. The pieces are not the easiest to install and they are not installed with pop rivits. They must be installed in order to keep the top stretched tight. There have been some complaints about that venders tops for WWII trucks not even having the straps insalled. If you want the straps put on you have to tell them and pay extra.
My New Life Canvas top fit perfectly and had all the parts and pieces in the correct locations.
m-37Bruce
1SG
1SG

Re: Pic Worth A $$$

Post by m-37Bruce »

m-37Bruce wrote:I'm gonna take some pics now, I have some spare parts that I will use to do this. I have added 5 picy's to my door album, hope these help some?

http://www.g741.org/photogallery/main.p ... temId=2328
http://www.g741.org/photogallery/main.p ... alNumber=2

TTYL,
Bruce,

1953 M-37 w/ow

Retired Again

Keep Em Rollin'

VMVA
MSeriesRebuild
1SG
1SG

Post by MSeriesRebuild »

They should already be installed is a correct statement. I've never bought a top from any vendor where they weren't installed & personally if I were you I would call & find out why they weren't already riveted in place. Most likely I would send the top back & tell them when they got it right to return it. If they couldn't get it right, refund my money.
Charles Talbert
www.mseriesrebuild.com
Jeff in north Texas
PVT
PVT

Thank you Charles. I think I will call them tomorrow and have a heart to heart talk about why these metal strips are not installed already. I would have to cut my own holes in the new top to install them.
Jeff
Nickathome
1SG
1SG

Angle pieces

Post by Nickathome »

I would think Beachwood Canvas would be one that would know to have the angle pieces pre-installed. This is a very strange situation as i too have never heard of anyone not having theirs already installed in the top.