Talk about your truck here

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

Josh
SFC
SFC

5 ton 6X6?

Post by Josh »

Anyone here in WI own a 5 ton 6X6?

I know that WI does CDL exemptions for certain things, If I registered it as a historic vehicle, for personal use, do I still need a CDL?

I was thinking of getting a 6X6 when the M is done... The deuces are nice, and if there is no way around the CDL thing I'll get one of them, but, I like the 5 Ton M51's better... :D
Nickathome
1SG
1SG

CDL

Post by Nickathome »

Not sure of your state's laws, but you may be able to get away with an exemption based on the tagging reqts. The again, above a certain size and or weight limit, it may require a CDL no matter what. You will have to check into that.

I do know here in PA, and I think some other nearby states, that a duece falls under the required size/weight for a class B CDL so none is required to operate one.

It actually wouldn't hurt you to get a CDL. I have a class B CDL that I obtained during a period when I was laid off. I took a three day course, took a state required test, and voila, I now have a license that will enable me to drive up to a 26K lbs vehicle equipped with airbrakes, etc. So, if I ever delve into the big trucks(which I doubt I ever will) I am covered. I actually got the license for a job that I interviewed for (but never got hired), but hey what the hell, can't hurt.
Rusty S.
PFC
PFC

Post by Rusty S. »

I belive exemptions are for certain vehicles rather than the registration type. As far as I am aware of, fire engines are the only exempted airbrake equipped vehicles that do not require a CDL to drive. This is how many antique fire truck owners can legally drive them since it is a loophole in many state laws.

A few 5-ton owners I know drive with out a CDL figuring the historic plates will shield them from the law. The problem is if they are ever in an accident, even if it isnt their fault, the fact that they are driving a over weight/ airbrake equipped vehicle on a standard license will no doubt cause them problems in the aftermath.

Getting a CDL would be a smart thing to do, especially in today`s letigious world. One draw back is that you will have to take a physical to get one and for some, that may be a problem if they are not in good health...
Rusty S.
Lifer
1SG
1SG

Post by Lifer »

As already suggested, check with your local DMV office. Some states, IL among them, allow you to obtain a non-commercial Class B license. This will allow you to operate any straight truck (no semi rigs), motor home, or bus for your own non-commercial purposes. If you use it to advertise your business, that is commercial use and the CDL would be required.
"PER ARDUA AD ITER"
Josh
SFC
SFC

Post by Josh »

I know that here in WI, a deuce is under the 26K limit, and, since its brakes are air over hydraulic, instead of straight air, its technically a hydraulic system, so, no CDL for an M35...( military did that on purpose for jsut that reason... makes them 50 state legal, well, almost... Commiefornia went and made a CDL manditory for any air equipped trucks, regardless to kill that loophole on purpose) however, a 5 tonner is over the 26K, and is straight air, so, unless I can get a non commercial, Im SOL... I need to talk to the DMV I guess.
vtdeucedriver
SFC
SFC

Post by vtdeucedriver »

Josh wrote:I know that here in WI, a deuce is under the 26K limit, and, since its brakes are air over hydraulic, instead of straight air, its technically a hydraulic system, so, no CDL for an M35...( military did that on purpose for jsut that reason... makes them 50 state legal, well, almost... Commiefornia went and made a CDL manditory for any air equipped trucks, regardless to kill that loophole on purpose) however, a 5 tonner is over the 26K, and is straight air, so, unless I can get a non commercial, Im SOL... I need to talk to the DMV I guess.

The deuce squeaks under at 23K gross wt, yes the 5 ton is over 26K but the brakes are not AIR!!!! Same as deuce, Still got dot 5 to the wheels, just air assisted like the deuce.
Lifer
1SG
1SG

Post by Lifer »

Lifer wrote:As already suggested, check with your local DMV office. Some states, IL among them, allow you to obtain a non-commercial Class B license. This will allow you to operate any straight truck (no semi rigs), motor home, or bus for your own non-commercial purposes. If you use it to advertise your business, that is commercial use and the CDL would be required.
I can't say this often enough. Check with your local DMV office. I took my nephew over to Toccoa the other day to get his Class A CDL changed over from IL to GA and picked up a copy of the driver's rule book while I was waiting for him. To my surprise, GA offers Class C, Class B, and (yes) Class A licenses in both commercial and non-commercial versions.
"PER ARDUA AD ITER"
CGarbee
SGT
SGT

Post by CGarbee »

vtdeucedriver wrote: The deuce squeaks under at 23K gross wt, yes the 5 ton is over 26K but the brakes are not AIR!!!! Same as deuce, Still got dot 5 to the wheels, just air assisted like the deuce.

Type of brake system depends on the type of five ton... M809 series trucks are air over hydrualic, but the M900 series trucks are straight air.
'53 USMC M37 w/Cummins 4BT
'64 XM708,
'51 M38
'73 M817, '71 XM813, '70 M816, '84 M931
http://www.garbee.net/~cabell
http://www.eastcoastconvoy.com
http://www.gravesmountaintrailrides.com