How many ex-firetrucks?

Talk about your truck here

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

Nickathome
1SG
1SG

How many ex-firetrucks?

Post by Nickathome »

The man asking about a former M37 firetruck prompted this thread. How many of you own an M37 that spent time as a fire fighting vehicle? If so, do you know where it came from?

My truck was a former fire truck(after it retired from ther military of course). I could make out "Cumberland Road Fire dept" on the doors. I traced this back to Fayettville North Carolina I think it is. I never inquired further but do know at least where my truck has spent part of its life.
Paul (in NH)
PFC
PFC

How many firetrucks

Post by Paul (in NH) »

Of the 5 M37's I have had, 2 served with FD's. One was in Chester NH and one in Lebanon ME. 2 others I have my eye on are also ex-FD trucks. I also have ex-FD M35A2, as well as 4 real fire trucks. :D
Carter
1SG
1SG

Post by Carter »

Of the trucks (7) I have owned, all except two were former fire dept ones but not used as over the road fire fighting rigs but rather as sources of spares:
http://news.webshots.com/album/561182676MgZCnc
The one I am now bringing back to life was used by a Baltimore County Md. VFD unit until sold to Ralph and one runner I was given which was formerly owned by United Communities VFD, Kent Island Md. that I gave to Hack's Point Md. VFD who needed a brush truck.
http://news.webshots.com/album/247708900dMjWJR
Carter
Life Member:
Delta, Peach Bottom Fish & Game Assn.
uglyranger
PFC
PFC

Post by uglyranger »

When I was stripping my M151 MUTT, I discovered the back half had been painted red, and the front half was green. As you probably already know, M151s had to be demilled by the government cutting them in half.
Ugly Ranger
Rangers Lead The Way
HingsingM37
1SG
1SG

Post by HingsingM37 »

Mine was a fire truck that served at the Cape May County Airport/NAS Wildwood Air Museum in NJ until I bought it in October of 2005.

PS: Given the frayed state of the wiring harness when I got, I am amazed it did not become a "firey truck" at some point. My splash shields had holes burned through them from shorts :roll:
David
HingsingM37
1958 M37B1
1968 M101A1 Trailer
MVPA# 33078

"Do Not Take Counsel of Your Fears"
General George S. Patton Jr.

"Those who pound their guns into plows, will plow for those who do not".
Rick C
SSGT
SSGT

Post by Rick C »

I have one that was with the Providence, RI Fire dept. and one I parted out that was from the West Warwick, RI POlice dept. My M43 is from a FD in vermont......
Nickathome
1SG
1SG

Cape May

Post by Nickathome »

HingsingM37 wrote:Mine was a fire truck that served at the Cape May County Airport/NAS Wildwood Air Museum in NJ until I bought it in October of 2005.

PS: Given the frayed state of the wiring harness when I got, I am amazed it did not become a "firey truck" at some point. My splash shields had holes burned through them from shorts :roll:
David;

Was the truck you bought red, with a hard top I think, possibly white in color? If so, I have seen this truck.

The family and I were on a camping trip to Cape May when my oldest was about 5 or 6, which put the time frame around July ish 2003 or 2004. I took them to the airport to the museum and remember looking at an M37 that was there. I inquired as to what was going to be done with it, and the gentleman I talked to said they were thinking of selling it. I wished I had some spare coin then, I would have offered to buy it.
HingsingM37
1SG
1SG

Post by HingsingM37 »

Nick,
That's my baby :) If you look in my pic album here or the registry you will see a couple shots of what it looked like when I got it. Pretty much how you described. Uncanny that you encountered my truck in the past. Small world :wink:
David
HingsingM37
1958 M37B1
1968 M101A1 Trailer
MVPA# 33078

xm708
SSGT
SSGT

M43 CT Fire truck

Post by xm708 »

I have an M43 that was a fire rescue dive truck in Crystal lake Connecticut. I also have a monkton vermont fire truck or something in that area. Tim in Monkton had a Saint Albans Vermont fire truck. Quite a few saw fire service. My dumper only saw service in the army then the state of vermont bought her and worked at the poop plant at The university of vermont.

ed
Nickathome
1SG
1SG

Post by Nickathome »

HingsingM37 wrote:Nick,
That's my baby :) If you look in my pic album here or the registry you will see a couple shots of what it looked like when I got it. Pretty much how you described. Uncanny that you encountered my truck in the past. Small world :wink:
David;

What page in the registry are you on?
HingsingM37
1SG
1SG

Post by HingsingM37 »

Page 30 :)
David
HingsingM37
1958 M37B1
1968 M101A1 Trailer
MVPA# 33078

m-37Bruce
1SG
1SG

Brush Fire Truck

Post by m-37Bruce »

Powhatan County VFD, Powhatan, VA, I keep meaning to post a scan of my rig as a red wagon w/gold lettering, she looked pretty good back then. :?
Bruce,

1953 M-37 w/ow

Retired Again

Keep Em Rollin'

VMVA
Nickathome
1SG
1SG

Post by Nickathome »

HingsingM37 wrote:Page 30 :)
David;

Just looked at the picture of your truck. I am surprised I remembered the color scheme the way I did. I wasn't sure if that one was the one with the white roof, or another one my father told me about that was on route 9 further north near Cape May Courthouse. Now that I recall, I think that one was all red and had a canvas top. It is a small world indeed.
maxim

Post by maxim »

Both of mine were Fire Deparment. 1951, 1954.
powerwagontim
SFC
SFC

Re: M43 CT Fire truck

Post by powerwagontim »

xm708 wrote: "I also have a monkton vermont fire truck or something in that area. Tim in Monkton had a Saint Albans Vermont fire truck."
ed
My St. Albans VT fire truck was purchased by me from the Huntington VT Fire Dept.
Monkton did have an M37, so you probably have it!
Tim