Lug nut size?

Talk about your truck here

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

refit1701
1SG
1SG

Lug nut size?

Post by refit1701 »

What size are the lug nuts? I know it must be larger than 1 1/4 inches.

I'd measure but I'm at work and I forgot to last night. I've got to get a socket on the way home.
Nickathome
1SG
1SG

Lug nut size

Post by Nickathome »

1 1/2"....

Buy yourself the military style lug wrench and get a piece of solid bar and you have all you need to remove the lugs. Just remember the threads are righty tighty on the left side, and lefty tighty on the right or something similar, unless your wheel hubs have been switched around, as is such on my truck.
MSeriesRebuild
1SG
1SG

Re: Lug nut size?

Post by MSeriesRebuild »

refit1701 wrote:What size are the lug nuts? I know it must be larger than 1 1/4 inches.

I'd measure but I'm at work and I forgot to last night. I've got to get a socket on the way home.
1 1/2" is correct on socket size, but pay close attention when buying one. The wall thickness of the socket is a big deal with wheel lugs. It's a close quarter fit between lug nuts & the hub drive flange, if the wall thickness is too much, there isn't enough clearance for it to fit. Most good quality sockets of this size range are heavy wall sockets. I've seen a few cheap sockets that were thin enough to do the job, but don't know about their durability. We took a good quality socket & machined the circumference down slightly for a good fit. Maybe this info will save a trip back to the tool store. Good luck.
Charles Talbert
www.mseriesrebuild.com
topellis
CPL
CPL

Post by topellis »

I have the original type lug wrench but to be honest... I don't care for using it much. I also have a 1 1/2 inch open/box end wrench about two feet long and in my opinion it is way easier to position the wrench in the horizontal with the box end on the lug nut and hold on to the troop seat vertical and basically just take a step up on the wrench. I am sure many will tell me why that isn't a good idea but it works well for me. You do have to be careful how you position it and such and I am sure someone could either slip off of it or have it come off the nut so if you try it practice some caution but I have never had a problem and I have done it that way for some time.

FWIW
Mark
Mark Ellis
1953 M37 WOW
1967 M101A1
NRA Life Member
USMC Retired
pfrederi
CPL
CPL

Post by pfrederi »

I have been using a Sears 3/4 inch drive socket for several years. (At first I didn't have a 3/4 drive wrench...I bought a 1/2-3/4 adapter and used my 1/2 drive ratchet with a cheater pipe.
Sears may not be the best tool but if I ever break it its free....
Paul f
Nickathome
1SG
1SG

Lug Wrench

Post by Nickathome »

I must say that the military style lug wrench that I have works fine. Yes, there is some tight spots on a few of the lugs, and I did have to take a file to the inside of the wrench to remove some burrs to get it to fit on the lug nuts better, but it works and works well. That long 3' bar makes removing the lug nuts easy.

I did see a fairly inexpensive 3/4" drive impact gun at Tractor Supply that I may wind up buying just for the sake of convenience while working on the truck in the garage, but the $10 military wrench I have now works.
refit1701
1SG
1SG

Post by refit1701 »

I found the lug wrench hidden in the middle of the "toolbox". The bar is nowhere. I'll have to find a 3/4" drive handle to turn that monster socket.
BigEddieM37
PVT
PVT

Post by BigEddieM37 »

It's been a while but I think the 1-1/2 inch socket I purchased a while ago from McMaster was P/N 5552A96, 3/4" Square Drive Impact Socket 6-Point Deep, 1-1/2" Size, 3-1/2" Overall Length. Seems to work fine.