Need Help with Head Gasket Torque Info

Talk about your truck here

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

topellis
CPL
CPL

Need Help with Head Gasket Torque Info

Post by topellis »

I know I have a diagram somewhere that has the head bolts numbered and has the torque sequence listed and two different head bolt torque values on it.... problem is I just can't find it now that I need it. :( Any help? I know you torqued them in a certain sequence once to a value and then again at a higher torque. Seems the court was out on doing a run and re-torque or not.... I didn't and three years later I am doing it again. Not sure that is the reason but it blew between five and six. I had the head decked last time it had blown between one and two.

Thanks,
Mark
Mark Ellis
1953 M37 WOW
1967 M101A1
NRA Life Member
USMC Retired
nivek
CPL
CPL

"This is the 'droid, err pic you want!"

Post by nivek »

This oughta help project along.

kL
'52 M-37 "Old Blue" still in 11enty-bazillion parts
'52 M-37 "Rusty Red" parted
topellis
CPL
CPL

Post by topellis »

Thanks!!
Mark Ellis
1953 M37 WOW
1967 M101A1
NRA Life Member
USMC Retired
topellis
CPL
CPL

Opinions on re-Torque?

Post by topellis »

Well, I got it changed and seems everything is ok. I wondered the opinions about the install though. I guess the book says torque once and your are done but I did that last time and after about three thousand miles... ended up doing it again. This time after running it I retorqued them again. The needle began to move right at 50 ftlbs so it had lost 20 ftlbs of torque after running some.
It sucked taking the oil filter back off but I realized I did it what I thought was right the first time and hate re-doing a job so I torqued it twice...lol.

What say ye?

Mark
Mark Ellis
1953 M37 WOW
1967 M101A1
NRA Life Member
USMC Retired