Need help installing new rubber headlight bushings

Talk about your truck here

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

Tankjeepman
PVT
PVT

Need help installing new rubber headlight bushings

Post by Tankjeepman »

I am getting down to the final things in restoring my 1962 B1. I have new rubber bushings that go into the headlight bracket. I have used grease, vice grips and a vice with a lot of effort without success. Does anyone have a technique for getting these bushing into the headlight bracket?
62 M37B1 being restored.
73 M151A2 Restored and being driven.
61 M151 Possible future project.
46 CJ2A Possible future project.
Cal_Gary

Re: Need help installing new rubber headlight bushings

Post by Cal_Gary »

Search the word "boiling" on the home page. Guys used boiling water to soften up draft pads. That might work for your grommets too.
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
MVPA Correspondent #28500
just me
1SG
1SG

Post by just me »

I remove the metal bushing, squirt a little tire mounting rubber lube on them and install them with a plier. Reinsert the metal bushing.
"It may be ugly, but at least it is slow!"
Rdinatal
CPL
CPL

Post by Rdinatal »

@Tankjeepman

Did you do this?
just me wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2024 1:50 am remove the metal bushing
1952 M37 - Mods = Locking hubs, battery switch, 2 bank charger, PB, PS, Pertronix SSI, Elect fuel pump w/filter&pressure switch.

Planned: Seatbelts, Bimini top :roll:
Tankjeepman
PVT
PVT

Post by Tankjeepman »

There is no metal bushing. There is a bolt that goes through the rubber part that mounts the headlight to the bracket. Yes, I am trying to push the rubber bushing through the bracket without the bolt in place. I can try boiling them, but they are new supple rubber. Thanks for the help.
62 M37B1 being restored.
just me
1SG
1SG

Post by just me »

The rubber isolation mounts I used had a bush that I removed. I didn't replace it as the shoulder bolt served its purpose of not crushing the mount. They were something I got from McMaster or Motion that were the same dimensions as the original rubber.
"It may be ugly, but at least it is slow!"
Tankjeepman
PVT
PVT

Post by Tankjeepman »

OK, I got my rubber bushings from Vintage Power Wagon. They had no metal bushing inside the hole. I am going to try and use a press with some sleeves and get them in. Thanks for the reply.
62 M37B1 being restored.
Tankjeepman
PVT
PVT

Post by Tankjeepman »

So the secret to install them is it is really a two-man job. I took them to a friend who makes a living as an expert mechanic. He put a small hose clamp about 1/2" from the end of the bushing. As I pressed the bushing into the hole, he used a flat tip screwdriver to get the edges into the hole. You have to apply a lot of pressure to get it started in the hole. I then took a metal sleeve over the bushing and used a socket inside the sleeve to drive the bushing in the rest of the way.
62 M37B1 being restored.
Blue Chips
PVT
PVT

Post by Blue Chips »

I just started restoring the headlights on my 1954 M37. I blasted, etch primed, and painted the brackets that mount the headlights on the fenders, as well as the zinc/pot metal brackets that go under the headlight bodies.

I just received a set of replacement rubber headlight mounting bushings/grommets today from MIdwest Military and installed them in the headlight brackets. I would NOT say that they were fun to install, although once started in the holes, they slid in fairly easily until the bracket snapped into the groove in the bushing. I managed to insert them with no tools other than my fingers and a little grease, but my fingers are a bit sore. I'm sure it helped that the rubber was reasonably pliable. I also left the whitish waxy storage coating on them when I installed them, as I figured it added a bit of lubrication for installation. I'll clean it off later.

If the rubber of your bushings/grommets has hardened up over the years, they would be much more difficult to install.

headlight-brackets-and-grommets-smaller-image.jpg
headlight-brackets-and-grommets-smaller-image.jpg (223.42 KiB) Viewed 519 times
PoW
SFC
SFC

Post by PoW »

DOT-3 and rubber are good friends, helping get things in tight places.

PoW