Power vs dual curcuit manual brakes

Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

crike2000
PVT
PVT

Power vs dual curcuit manual brakes

Post by crike2000 »

I have converted my M37 over to dana 60's from an 83 dodge. And will convert the rear brakes to disks also.

I'm seeing if any of you guys have experience between changing over the M37 manual master cylinder from to a dual curcuit 1980 c30 truck (on the uglytruckling site) vs installing power brakes. And can give me the pros and cons on living with each.

I know the power brakes will be more involved, but I'm trying to figure out:
Which will function better?

Will there be a longer delay feel with the manual setup?
1952 M37 (under construction) D60's, 4BT, 518 AT, 205
k8icu
1SG
1SG

Post by k8icu »

I am not sure what you mean by longer delay? Manual brakes will just take a little more foot pressure than the power brakes will. Since the system you are trying to set up you could use a hydro master cylinder from a chevy 1 ton (aka cucv) and use a power steering pump to provide the fluid and that would give you power brakes. But with four wheel disks I don't see where you would notice much difference from manual vrs power.
M37s are HMMWV in my world!
N1VSM
SSGT
SSGT

2 chamber M/C

Post by N1VSM »

The 2 major benefits I see are (1) the warm fuzzy feeling you have that if one half (front or rear) of the system springs a leak, you won't lose 100% of your braking system - just enough to buy you some time to grab that e-brake handle. You'll have time to change your shorts later. :wink: (2) you can install a proportioning valve to help balance the braking system depending on the load (or lack thereof) in the back.

If you don't put your truck in the position of either breaking a brake line or do any hauling, AND your brake system is reliable, there is no reason that I can think of to switch.

That said, I changed to the 2 chamber, and am happy I did. The "conversion was simple.
You can trust your mother, but you can't trust your ground.
Juan
SGT
SGT

Post by Juan »

I'm using the hydraboost setup from a CUCV and I'm very pleased with the results.
Juan Castro
Buenos Aires
Argentina
crike2000
PVT
PVT

Post by crike2000 »

Juan
How did you hook up the hydroboost unit?

Did you use the original pedal from the M37?

Or did you use the whole pedal asembly from the CUCV?

I have a hydro boost setup from the P30 chassis that my 4BT was in.
gwalker
CPL
CPL

Post by gwalker »

Disc brakes require much more foot pressure to apply than do drum brakes, drum brakes are self energizing and disc arent. All cars equipped w disc brakes are power assist( with the exception of the tiniest of cars). This is required to insure any driver can apply enough braking force in any situation, if you are adding disc to your truck power assist will help alot. There is a dual circuit master cyl already made for the m37 since that chassis was still in production when dual circuit masters became mandatory(In the civ. power wagon model).
68 M-715 MVPA# 2710
N1VSM
SSGT
SSGT

my experience ...

Post by N1VSM »

gwalker wrote:Disc brakes require much more foot pressure to apply than do drum brakes, drum brakes are self energizing and disc arent. All cars equipped w disc brakes are power assist( with the exception of the tiniest of cars). This is required to insure any driver can apply enough braking force in any situation, if you are adding disc to your truck power assist will help alot. There is a dual circuit master cyl already made for the m37 since that chassis was still in production when dual circuit masters became mandatory(In the civ. power wagon model).
I found that the disc brakes took much LESS pressure than the drums did. I have 4 wheel disc & no power assist.

As for the M37 2 chamber M/C, this is the first I've heard of it. Does anyone know a stock number for that?
You can trust your mother, but you can't trust your ground.
Lifer
1SG
1SG

Re: my experience ...

Post by Lifer »

N1VSM wrote:
gwalker wrote:Disc brakes require much more foot pressure to apply than do drum brakes, drum brakes are self energizing and disc arent. All cars equipped w disc brakes are power assist( with the exception of the tiniest of cars). This is required to insure any driver can apply enough braking force in any situation, if you are adding disc to your truck power assist will help alot. There is a dual circuit master cyl already made for the m37 since that chassis was still in production when dual circuit masters became mandatory(In the civ. power wagon model).
I found that the disc brakes took much LESS pressure than the drums did. I have 4 wheel disc & no power assist.

As for the M37 2 chamber M/C, this is the first I've heard of it. Does anyone know a stock number for that?
Agreed! My only experience to date with 4-wheel disk brakes was a 1980 Citroen GSA that I drove from 1983 to 1987 while stationed in England. It didn't have power assist, either, but I didn't feel any difference between the Citroen's brakes and the non-power brakes on the USAF-owned Ford pickups that I drove at work.
"PER ARDUA AD ITER"
MSeriesRebuild
1SG
1SG

Re: my experience ...

Post by MSeriesRebuild »

N1VSM wrote:

Charles Talbert
www.mseriesrebuild.com
MSeriesRebuild
1SG
1SG

Post by MSeriesRebuild »

Less pressure-more pressure, etc. Not a great deal of difference in required pedal pressure between the 2 types on a non-boosted system. A great deal less pedal pressure is needed on either system if a booster is used. The disc system will always be the best in all aspects. The drum system works great too if boosted, the problem is no new drums are available to replace thin or egg shaped ones. Drums are always the big issue when trying to stay original.
Charles Talbert
www.mseriesrebuild.com
Juan
SGT
SGT

Post by Juan »

crike2000 wrote:Juan
How did you hook up the hydroboost unit?
Did you use the original pedal from the M37?
Or did you use the whole pedal asembly from the CUCV?
I have a hydro boost setup from the P30 chassis that my 4BT was in.
I'm using the original pedal from the M37, I put the hydraboost unit in the place of the original master cylinder, it's a lot longer, I had to relocate the brake lines and cut a whole on the floor under the driver's seat to check/fill the brake fluid reservoir.
You have to be very gentle with the pedal cause it has a lot of leverage arm and you have a lot of boost.
Juan Castro
Buenos Aires
Argentina
crike2000
PVT
PVT

Post by crike2000 »

Juan
I think you hit the nail on the head with why the none power assist works so well in the m37. The leverage of the M37 brake pedal is a lot more then most power assisted cars. I'm going to try the none power assist first. If that dosen't work to my wife's liking then I will add the hydro boost.

As for orginal condition of my M37 I have already gone to the dark side, but I am trying not to mess up the look and feel of what the M37 is.
crike2000
PVT
PVT

Post by crike2000 »

Charles what brand part number is that?
MSeriesRebuild
1SG
1SG

Post by MSeriesRebuild »

crike2000 wrote:Charles what brand part number is that?
What brand part # is what?
Charles Talbert
www.mseriesrebuild.com
k8icu
1SG
1SG

Post by k8icu »

The one you posted.

Is that a NAPA part number, Autozone, or what? Who's partnumber for the dual circut M37 MC is that?
M37s are HMMWV in my world!