Colorado Prohibits Military Vehicles on Hwy

Talk about your truck here

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

DCook
CPL
CPL

Colorado Prohibits Military Vehicles on Hwy

Post by DCook »

Maybe some of you have already been confronted with this, but I found out when titling my recent purchase of an M725 Ambulance through our DMV. Its a result of Senate Bill 19-054, which I still need to research. I asked the DMV how that affects my 1951 M37 which has been registered, licensed, and insured as collector vehicle for a number of years. DMV said I will no longer be able to license it for on hwy use the next time it comes due. I have a VIN inspection appointment for later today, and the result of that may be that I can title it with a "Military Off Hwy Only" title!!! The DMV said in order to drive it in parades I'd have to trailer or tow it to the parade???
MVPA Member #23780
1942 Chev. 1 1/2 Ton Dump Truck
1951 M37 W/W, & Field Radio
1958 Navy CJ3B
1967 M725 Ambulance
1987 M101A2 Trailer
Murf
SSGT
SSGT

Re: Colorado Prohibits Military Vehicles on Hwy

Post by Murf »

A bored legislator is a dangerous thing...
Rdinatal
CPL
CPL

Post by Rdinatal »

What is that bogus "law" supposed to help with?? Some Soccer Mom got stuck behind one and couldn't go 80mph?!?!
1952 M37 - Mods = Locking hubs, battery switch, 2 bank charger, PB, PS, Pertronix SSI, Elect fuel pump w/filter&pressure switch.

Planned: Seatbelts, Bimini top :roll:
ODAddict
PVT
PVT

Post by ODAddict »

Hey Dana,

Without knowing the particulars in Colorado....The M37 is a simple Dodge pickup truck. You ought to be able to register it as such. Similarly with your M725; it's a Kaiser cargo van. No M series designation should be needed (or offered for that matter).

Likely the law is intended to address things like tracked and other specialty vehicles.

Let us know how it goes.
John
M37B1-Oct 19,1958
MVPA 17461
Elwood
MSGT
MSGT

Post by Elwood »

Agreed with ODAddict. Michigan law is different, at least for now, but my M37 is titled as a "Dodge pickup truck". No mention of military design or use.
“When a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, IT IS THEIR RIGHT, IT IS THEIR DUTY, TO THROW OFF SUCH GOVERNMENT...” -Declaration of Independence, 1776
Cal_Gary

Post by Cal_Gary »

I'd also contact the MVPA if you are a member. They carry the fight to crap legislation like this. I'd also send a note to Loren Boebert-she's patriotic and might be able to help.
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
MVPA Correspondent #28500
DCook
CPL
CPL

Post by DCook »

Thanks for your input Guys!
Getting my title has been complicated by an apparent 18 other vehicles, in other states, titled with the same short VIN as mine. My title is a correct Colorado title, done in 2006. The most current title with the same VIN was done in Texas. So mine is being run through the State, and I assume being evaluated as a stolen vehicle. All my original dash plates are clear and undamaged, with the VIN easy to read. Apparently there were VIN numbers on the frame, but my frame is very rusty, and no numbers are visible. It's interesting too, because the body has virtually no rust, but the frame and running gear is. The thought of registering it as a Kaiser cargo van is how the last title was done. it would have gone right through if other vehicles hadn't come up with the same VIN. That has mine being heavily scrutinized. Fortunately my Sheriff's Department VIN inspector, who was out yesterday,
seems very sensitive to my situation, and has gone to the DMV to see what he can do to help me out.
MVPA Member #23780
1958 Navy CJ3B
1967 M725 Ambulance
1987 M101A2 Trailer
John Mc
SSGT
SSGT

Post by John Mc »

I'm curious why they specifically targeted military vehicles. I can see some restrictions around specialized vehicles (heavy enough to require a CDL, or tracked vehicles, or something highly unusual that is nothing like a typical passenger vehicle). However, this is just an antique pickup truck. If they are banning it from the roads for a safety concern, are they also banning Dodge Power Wagons and other pickups from the same era? Are they also going to ban any vehicles which don't meet the modern requirements of anti-lock brakes and airbags?

I'm sure this will rile some up, but much as I would hate to change the paint scheme on my truck, I could even see the logic in requiring that the military markings be removed if the vehicle is used for normal on-road use (to avoid some yahoo trying to falsely claim it is in active military use).

I just don't see the logic in banning it simply because it was made for the military when it is essentially a dodge pickup truck from the same era.
1951 M37 "Brutus" w/Winch and 251 engine
just me
1SG
1SG

Post by just me »

This is old news. The original intent, as I recall, was because MV's don't meet Federal Safety Standards. (Bumpers, lights, seatbelts, etc, etc ) People were (oh my god) driving scary hummers and 5 tons. So they passed a law to ban military vehicles. And completely ignored the fact that MOST of them were built before the FSS even existed! CJ5 is ok. It is civilian. M38A1 isn't. It is a military vehicle. Like an MB or GPW that also is screwed by the same rule. My M-37 is registered as a Dodge 3/4 ton pickup.
It's what happens when the lawmakers smoke too much of the legalized pot.
"It may be ugly, but at least it is slow!"
DCook
CPL
CPL

Post by DCook »

Yesterday my M725 (that now has the name "Medic", since we call my M37 "Soldier") met with a Much More Ominous Hurtle -- The current Law in Colorado says there is two categories of civilian owned military vehicles;
One - is "Surplus Military Vehicle", that requires the vehicle to have had all military appearance in paint and graphics removed. This class of military vehicle can only be titled as "Surplus Military Vehicle for Off road use only". And specifies that Surplus Military Vehicles Are Not Eligible For Registration Through The Division of Motor Vehicles. They cannot be registered, licensed, and driven on the road!
Two - is "Historical Military Vehicle", which retain their Military identity, excluding it from receiving any type of Title, Registration, or License. This means Historic Military Vehicles in the State of Colorado Cannot be Legally owned by Civilians!
It's easy to say "Call it A Jeep Van", which is how it was designated on the prior owners Colorado Title. However this appears now to the DMV as a Fraudulent Claim under both classifications.
Just be aware that Your Patriotism, and Desire to Honor All Who Have Served, has received a frontal attack in several states. This is a Colorado Law, and can be enforced by any authority figure. I asked what will happen to my M37, and was told that when my registration comes due, it will be DENIED!
MVPA Member #23780
1958 Navy CJ3B
1967 M725 Ambulance
1987 M101A2 Trailer
PoW
SFC
SFC

Post by PoW »

Time to form a group, hire an attorney and take them to court, maybe an ex post facto case.

The WW2 Jeep guys will be a good source of 'heft'.

PoW
DCook
CPL
CPL

Post by DCook »

Our MVCC Colorado Club apparently had gained ground on this, but it ground to a halt when COVID flared up. It appears my solution now is to sell it to my Daughter who lives in a state that still Honors those who serve. I'll let her title it there, but I fully intend for these old Steel Soldiers to Stand Tall and Retain their Full Dress Identity!
MVPA Member #23780
1958 Navy CJ3B
1967 M725 Ambulance
1987 M101A2 Trailer
PoW
SFC
SFC

Post by PoW »

I wonder what all the ex-mil heavy trucks contractors use will do about this...

PoW
Cal_Gary

Post by Cal_Gary »

Dana,
There are no such restrictions in Utah-the border is pretty close to you if you need another option. Good luck!
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
MVPA Correspondent #28500
John Mc
SSGT
SSGT

Post by John Mc »

So what does Colorado do about trucks registered in other states which drive on CO roads? Aren't states required to recognize the registration of vehicles from other states?
1951 M37 "Brutus" w/Winch and 251 engine