Oil pump and distributor installation

Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

Xloflyr

Oil pump and distributor installation

Post by Xloflyr »

I have followed the detailed instructions for installation of the oil pump in time with the distributor as described in TM 9-1840A. After installing the oil pump and setting the slot and dist drive gear in the correct position, the dist will only fit 180 degrees from the 7 o’clock install position. No start obviously. The #1 piston is TDC and I pulled the pipe plug in the head on #6 just to confirm TDC. What am I missing? The oil pump and dist can only ‘mate’ in the correct position, right?
I’m getting real good at pulling the dist and oil pump
RMS
MSGT
MSGT

Re: Oil pump and distributor installation

Post by RMS »

I had a issue like that. the dizzy it self was assembled 180 out . I just step the leads around not wanting to disturb the advance weights and springs.
.............................. use it ...............
Ray505
PVT
PVT

Post by Ray505 »

I had the same thing when I reassembled by engine. I installed the oil pump 180 degrees off which placed the slot in the proper position and I then installed the distributor. Not sure if the book or the distributor was wrong but my method worked.
Kaegi
SFC
SFC

Post by Kaegi »

spin oil pump 180. all distributors can be insalled 180 out as the pistons come up on 2 strokes in a 4 stroke engine. comp. and exh.