new 24v electric pump makes dash hand primer dump fuel

Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

markkish79
PVT
PVT

new 24v electric pump makes dash hand primer dump fuel

Post by markkish79 »

I installed a 24v inline fuel pump on my vehicle and had a couple issues I hope someone can enlighten me on. First off the truck runs much higher in rpms now with the 9 psi pump on it and I don't think its normal. I haven't installed the fuel regulator yet at the carb. So I'm not sure if that will taper the rpms back down or not. Some guys say you need a regulator with those electric pumps, and some say you don't.

The other issue is much more dangerous and scare. I bypassed the old fuel pump and ran a line straight to the carb. Well while she was running I noticed fuel dumping out of the dash fuel primer for cold weather start. Can I just replace the o rings inside the primer and club it up? Why is it leaking so bad now and not with the old pump? And last why is there a vent line going to the hand primer pump next to the fuel line? Is there brake fluid coming out of the MC up that line, or is there fuel going down that line into the MC? If I brake that line do I need to bleed the brakes? I know there is a lot of questions here, but I just have no idea about this hand primer and need to pick some experienced brains. Thanks guys for any Intel you throw back at me.

Mark.
markkish79
PVT
PVT

Re: new 24v electric pump makes dash hand primer dump fuel

Post by markkish79 »

BTW, this is a Canadian 1955 M43. The vent line comes out of a T in the main line coming out of the back of the master cylinder, not the port in the top cover side. Why is this like this, and wouldn't fuel be forced into the MC, or brake fluid into the Mani Ford, or fuel line? Does it even have to be vented if not used for fording? I would post pics but not sure how on here. I hit IMG and get no options but the text [Img] pops up.
just me
1SG
1SG

Post by just me »

That T is in the fuel line from the tank. It had better NOT be in the brakes! You MUST run a regulator with a 9lb pump. You only need 2lbs. 9lbs can push right past the float needle. You are dumping fuel from the primer because you are pressurizing the suction side and it isn't designed to have higher than atmospheric pressure at the inlet.
"It may be ugly, but at least it is slow!"
NAM VET
1SG
1SG

Post by NAM VET »

I have no suggestion for your fuel problem, although most likely your fuel pressure is way too high. As for posting a picture, first you have to put it on some web photo hosting site, some use flicker, I have no problems with photobucket. When you find the picture on your web hosting site you want to add to a thread, click on the picture, and some box will come up alongside the picture, on photobucket, it is the bottom line of the box. On my MAC, I highlight the link in the box, click command C, then when I want to put the picture in a thread, hit URL above, and then click on my laptop Command V. When you then click preview on the bottom below your text box, it shows your intended thread and your picture.

Once you get the hang of it, only takes a moment. Even for me who is not GEEK by any means.

NV
w30bob
1SG
1SG

Post by w30bob »

Mark,

I think Just has answered your questions regarding fuel pressure and the need for a regulator, and NAM VET covered pictures. You'd be smart not to run the truck until you have the regulator installed. Here's a few more tidbits. The fuel system and the brake system are two separate systems and there are no common parts between them.

You do need to vent the Master Cylinder, but you don't need to vent it to survive a river crossing if you never intend to do that. Most MCs have a vented cap.......so you could do that. But most MCs aren't mounted close to the ground, so if you just vent the big bolt in the top cover make sure you don't drive in water or go in mud. And make sure the person you sell the truck to knows that too. Your best bet is just to make the original master cylinder vent functional and leave well enough alone. If you don't want to do that then install a remote reservoir for the master cylinder mounted higher up and vent the reservoir to ambient.

There is also no vent line going to the fuel pump. The second line you mention on the pump provides vacuum (suction) to the windshield wipers. The fuel pump has 2 diaphragms........one sucks fuel for the carb and the other provides vacuum for the wipers to work. The only vent in the fuel system is a hard line from the tank to the carb elbow and also the gas cap itself (depending if you cap is vented or not). I have to ask............if your stock fuel pump is in working order...........why did you put in a 24V electric pump?

regards,
bob