Ok this is going to sound stupid but I want to know

Talk about your truck here

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

bubba_got_you
SGT
SGT

Ok this is going to sound stupid but I want to know

Post by bubba_got_you »

Ok this is going to sound stupid but I want to know what fluids work best in the m37 (oil, trans fluid, gear oil, and break fluid, exc)
Thanks
:wink:
May God grant me with the serenity to accept the things I cannot shoot, The ability to shoot the things I can and a place to hide the bodies
Lifer
1SG
1SG

Post by Lifer »

The only stupid question is the one that isn't asked. You're going to get more answers than you expected, though, I think. It's pretty much a matter of personal preference, actually. Most folks use one brand or another of 10W40 oil, either"real" or synthetic, in their engines. "Old wisdom" was to use 90 weight gear oil in the trans, t-case, and diffs, but there's "newer wisdom" on that. When making your decision, be sure to take your overall climate into consideration. What works well in a warm climate may not work so well in colder areas amd vice versa.

Now, then...let the answers flow! :)
"PER ARDUA AD ITER"
Nickathome
1SG
1SG

Post by Nickathome »

Lifer wrote:"Old wisdom" was to use 90 weight gear oil in the trans, t-case, and diffs, but there's "newer wisdom" on that. When making your decision, be sure to take your overall climate into consideration. What works well in a warm climate may not work so well in colder areas amd vice versa.

Now, then...let the answers flow! :)
Yeah how come the "Old Wisdom" worked just fine for years and years? Suddenly now that there are new products to be sold, and that "old Wisdom" is nul and void..
Lifer
1SG
1SG

Post by Lifer »

I'll probably stick to the "old wisdom," myself, for two reasons.

(1) I'm a dyed-in-the-wool Luddite.

(2) "Low tech" is still available everywhere around here, whereas "new tech" is not. (Where I live has been referred to by at least one lost tourist as a "technologically deprived" area.)
"PER ARDUA AD ITER"
KenInGA
CPL
CPL

Post by KenInGA »

I run Rotella T 15W-40 in my engine, and I'm gonna put 80W-90 Gear Oil in the trans. (got the bucket sitting in the truck.... but not quite in the trans yet) I reckon the same for the Diffs and Transfer Case, too...
'62 M37B1- It runs AND stops!
jbxx
SGT
SGT

earl

Post by jbxx »

I use 15-40 Rotella in the engine and 90W for the gears.
A lot of people are using 50W for gears and are reporting in with
lower temps which could equate as lower friction and less wear.
Just make sure that whatever you do use in the gears does not
harm the bronzes or brass components. Someone is sure to chime in with
the designations for this. I have heard of dot 3,4,&5 being used for brakes.
J.B. 53 m37 Firetruck
N1VSM
SSGT
SSGT

Lifer - you sould come & visit me!

Post by N1VSM »

Lifer wrote:(Where I live has been referred to by at least one lost tourist as a "technologically deprived" area.)
<rant>The Berks are more technologically bassackwards than anything. NO ONE seems got get the idea that repeaters should be on the TOPS of hills. There are so many techno-black holes around here, it is like RF swiss cheese!
</rant>
You can trust your mother, but you can't trust your ground.
k8icu
1SG
1SG

Post by k8icu »

RF free zones...that was my last house...lol!

The Army said put 30W in the engine and 90W in the other stuff so that's what I think you should run. If it works why mess with it.... :)
M37s are HMMWV in my world!
kc8sfq
PVT
PVT

Re: Lifer - you sould come & visit me!

Post by kc8sfq »

NO ONE seems got get the idea that repeaters should be on the TOPS of hills. There are so many techno-black holes around here, it is like RF swiss cheese!

We have an area around here, near the river. We call it "the valley of the shadow of no RF", and there ain't no hills for repeaters. We have to faneggle spots on TV towers. Hills are easier to find.
No society in history has ever taxed it's way to prosperity.
peter e mark
SSGT
SSGT

Post by peter e mark »

I'm with Lifer on this one. If 30 ( or 10/30 ) weight/ 90 weight worked in the past then 30 weight / 90 weight will work now ! Who the hell are wee to re engineer these machines ! Right KNATTRASS ?
1952 M37 W/W
Veteran of 82 ABN. Division Motor Pool 1969