New windshield fit problem

Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

m15256
CPL
CPL

New windshield fit problem

Post by m15256 »

I purchased replacement inner windshields from a reputable dealer that probably we all are familiar with. I imagine that all the replacement "inner" windshields are probably manufactured by only one supplier. They are intended for a metal Winter top that came out of Colorado. As far as I can tell that is really very straight and has no rust issues. After painting the first one Strata Blue since it is an Air Force truck I tried to install it last weekend. None of the hinge screws are broken off. All screw holes have good original threads. The frame came with the rubber seal installed on the outside which is flexible and not folded over in some odd way. When I went to close it I found that the two pins that the hinged support arms mount to both bind up against the support arms. Took the arms off and folded them in. Next I found that even though I pushed from the outside with a fair amount of force the turning latch to dog the windshield closed still ends up about 3/8" away (in front) of the tab it's supposed to grab.

I don't have any old windshields to compare against. So three questions about original inner frames.

#1 What is the distance between the two pins on the sides of the frame that the support arms mount to?
#2 What is the measurement between the inside face of the frame bottom and the front of the turning latch that dogs the frame closed?
#3 Has anyone had similar fit problems?

Thanks very much, Rick
RICK
M 152 CDN
M 56 (V41)
refit1701
1SG
1SG

Re: New windshield fit problem

Post by refit1701 »

I think when we installed mine we spent a lot of time on the alignment. We eventually decided that the washers on the locking arms were too thick. Those rubber flaps are awfully stiff and I remember having to push the insert towards the cab will my buddy latched it. We left it like this for a while so the rubber could take a "set" and fit the frame better.

Now the problem is the seal on the base of the frame doesn't touch the cab cowl everywhere and water runs on my feet.
-John
Member of Dixie Division MVC

1953 USAF M37 wow, restored
1962 M151 Ford Production, on the rotisserie now
1953 USMC M37 w/w -in storage
1942 M6 Bomb Service Truck (sold to UK collector)
1967 M116A1 Pioneer Trailer
1968 M101A1 Trailer
S-89 Comm box
just me
1SG
1SG

Re: New windshield fit problem

Post by just me »

There is supposed to be a bind in the arms as it comes closed. It acts as a spring to help hold it closed.
"It may be ugly, but at least it is slow!"