HELP ! Lights not working.

Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

Sal
SFC
SFC

Re: HELP ! Lights not working.

Post by Sal »

I checked the connectors in my engine compartment and found a few insulators cracked but none of them missing. I haven't checked the ones under the dash board or at the rear yet. I bought this harness from Joe in 7/08 and installed it about a year later. My truck is garage kept and does not go out in the rain or snow and is never used for 4 wheeling and lives in NYC. With this being said under these conditions and finding cracked insulators I would say that all the insulators on my harness will have to be replaced. Now my question is. Is the new owner of VWM going to send replacements for all the defective insulators or are we going to have to pay for the replacements ? Because I can see this becoming something really big with all the harnesses that were made not only for our trucks but for all the ones that were made with these insulators .

Sal
:mrgreen:
1954 M37 WO/W
1969 M101A1
1967 M416
w30bob
1SG
1SG

Post by w30bob »

Hi Sal,

I got a feeling you're just one of many who are going to find their harness grommets cracked. So it looks like there's a major issue on our hands in regards to the life of the harnesses made by Vintage Wiring. But to be fair I think we need to consider a few things and I'm just going to throw them out there without taking sides. Remember, I don't own a VWM harness, so I'm just an impartial observer.

Most automotive things you buy come with a warranty of 30 days, some longer, but most don't have warranties longer than a year. I would expect a wiring harness to last for a very long time, but I doubt anyone asked VWM how long they actually warranty their harness for when they bought it. If you bought a wiring harness from the local auto parts store or online from Summit or Jegs and then called them 5 years later complaining about the harness quality............I think they'd tell you to go fly a kite. That doesn't excuse poor quality construction, and the MV world is a fairly small, tight knit community. That's a double edged sword. It's great for finding what you need, but potentially bad if what you find doesn't meet your expectations. Word of mouth can kill. My point here is we need to understand the whole story before everyone convicts VWM and hangs them from the nearest tree.

The only warranty info I can find on the VWM website is a statement that says "All of our products carry a complete guarantee of satisfaction". That statement is pretty wide open to interpretation, so everyone will read into it what they want to. Realistically, I don't think it means they'll warranty the harness forever........that would drive them out of business eventually.
Remember also that the new owner of VWM only recently acquired the company. I don't know the whole owner history, but that's what I understand from poking around the web. I assume the new owner is a MV guy himself and is running the company to make a few bucks and also to help out fellow MV owners. Other than these guys I don't know of anyone else reproducing MV harnesses out there. I doubt he bought the business to get rich..........but I could be wrong. This problem of cracked grommets really started under the old owner, but when you buy a business from someone you also buy all the liabilities that come with it. So pointing fingers won't help much in this case.

I know those of you finding your harness grommets cracked are pissed.........I'd be too. But I suggest we let this play out a bit and see what VWM's response is to you guys, their customers, as more and more of you contact them and let them know you have an issue with their harness. To be fair.........if you don't contact them and let them know there is an issue........you can't blame them for not offering a solution that you like.....especially if they don't understand the scope of the problem. This is going to be a big deal and it's just getting started. Now that the MVPA is aware of the issue, and more and more of you guys are contacting VWM to let them know there's a problem......we'll get to see what kind of company VWM really is. I don't think sending replacement grommets is going to be the answer, as many folks who forked over the big bucks for a new harness did so because they don't want to get involved taking harnesses apart or building one from scratch. Many just don't have the skill or desire to replace the grommets...........so they'll have to come up with something better. It'll be interesting to see what they do.

What we need to be doing is spreading the word to other MV owners. Many don't even get on the internet, so when you're at a meet or hanging with your MV buddies please let them know and ask them to check their harnesses.

I'm curious to hear what you guys think.

regards
bob
Sal
SFC
SFC

Post by Sal »

Bob I wrote to VWM before I added my posted to this tread and just received a E-mail back from Mike . read his replay to me below.

Sal
I am investigating this issue since I was made aware yesterday. I will send you at no charge replacement grommets for your harness purchased in 08. I suspect the timeline for my investigation will be 30/60 days but that is a guess.
Best
Mike

VINTAGE WIRING OF MAINE

207-465-3431 (P)
888-895-8786 (F)
http://www.vintagewiring.com

Looks like Mike at VWM is doing the right thing...Good people !!!

Sal
:mrgreen:
1954 M37 WO/W
1969 M101A1
1967 M416
w30bob
1SG
1SG

Post by w30bob »

Glad to hear it! I figured once they started hearing about it from more than a handful of folks they'd act.

regards,
bob
m37jarhead
SFC
SFC

Post by m37jarhead »

As posted before, Mike emailed me that he is sending replacement grommets.
He also called me when I was out and left a voice mail stating the above.
He said he was unaware of the problem and will research a solution.

So, go easy on Mike. Give him some time to do his due diligence on the
failing grommets. A problem he inherited.

VWM is a much needed mil vehicle supplier. Let's all show him that we
support him in finding a fix to the grommet problem.

If you call or email him..... BE NICE.

Jerry
Member: Arizona Military Vehicle Collector's Club, Treasurer.
Past Pres
Member: MVPA #26600
Member: NRA
‘43 GPW, '53 M37 W/W, ‘54 M170 Field Ambulance,
59 M43, '76 M151A2, '86 CUCV,
'43 GPW, 416 & 101 trailers.
w30bob
1SG
1SG

Post by w30bob »

Hi Jerry,

Yeah, that's what I was trying to say in my post above.......BE NICE.

thanks,
bob
milstencil
CPL
CPL

Post by milstencil »

Guys,
Just heard from the MVPA. They are monitoring the problem.
It was recommended that pictures be sent to Mike.
He would like to see what is happening.
AND, let's all remember that he inherited the problem and is trying to
resolve something that was not his doing
Rick
Resident of the Communist state of Massachusetts, home of failed
health care and failed gun control! See what the Democrats can do
when they control both houses.
http://www.militarystencils.com
m37jarhead
SFC
SFC

Post by m37jarhead »

I rec'd a package of new grommets from Mike over the weekend.
They "look" like the others. At this point Mike has no other choice
until he finds a solution for the failing grommets.

Changing out the grommets is not brain surgery, just time consuming.
I, for one, don't mind having to maybe do the change out twice.
If it temporarily fixes the problem and keeps my M from burning
to the ground.... I'm a happy camper.

Mike does not have a magic wand to cure the problem. The best thing
we can do is be patient and work with him until a permanent solution
is found. Remembering Mike inherited this basket of snakes.

Jerry
Member: Arizona Military Vehicle Collector's Club, Treasurer.
Past Pres
Member: MVPA #26600
Member: NRA
‘43 GPW, '53 M37 W/W, ‘54 M170 Field Ambulance,
59 M43, '76 M151A2, '86 CUCV,
'43 GPW, 416 & 101 trailers.
just me
1SG
1SG

Post by just me »

Talked with Mike at length today. He is sending me new grommets. I will be sending my bad ones to him for examination along with pictures. These parts are (or were) US mfgr'd by the same supplier Joe had been using for years. So, that is the next link down the chain. He will investigate and let us all know.
"It may be ugly, but at least it is slow!"
just me
1SG
1SG

Post by just me »

I received a bag of grommets today, but am disappointed that they are only half as many as needed to repair the harness. Will be calling in the morning. I will definitely be over wrapping these with heat shrink to make them last.
w30bob
1SG
1SG

Post by w30bob »

I was just going to post asking how this problem resolution was working out........so thanks for posting. VWM wasn't at the MTA meet in NJ a few weekends ago, I looked all over for them. Aberdeen is the second weekend in May, and they always show at that one.....do I'll chat with them then. Does anyone know if VWM has a source for new Douglas shells? I heard other fellow MVers were sending them the old shells and MVW was getting them re-plated. That won't work indefinitely, so I'm curious if someone is producing them again.

thanks,
bob
just me
1SG
1SG

Post by just me »

I have a can of shells if you need some.
w30bob
1SG
1SG

Post by w30bob »

Hi Just,

Thanks, but I've picked up some old NOS harnesses from the military meets.........so I've got shells.......I was just curious to know if someone is making them again. I'll ask VWM when I talk to them next week.

regards,
bob
just me
1SG
1SG

Post by just me »

Update:
Finally getting around to doing the change out of the grommets. Have done from the back of the truck to the back of the firewall so far. All of the light guage wire grommets were cracked and or split on the VWofM harness. None of the grommets on the NOS light repair kits in the back or the NOS ign switch show any deterioration. Any added on connectors bought from Saturn, DeBella, VPW or MWM show no deterioration. All the 10 guage wire grommets show no deterioration. The Packard connectors for the turn signals show no deterioration. Will do the engine bay and front lighting tonight or tomorrow. I did not receive enough new grommets to replace ALL the failing ones and will be overwraping those in .001" clear heat shrink to prevent shorts until I get new grommets.
I am working with a supplier to the hobby on manufacturing new grommets in the correct material. He will announce when they are available. I will be first in line for about 150 of them.
w30bob
1SG
1SG

Post by w30bob »

Just...........that's great news. I stopped by the VWM booth at Aberdeen more than a few times on the Friday I was there and it was always empty. I also ran into an MV buddy of mine who deals in electrical stuff and I asked him if he had any used grommets, as he usually has tons of connectors and components. He said it was funny that a few guys were by earlier and bought all the grommets he had. I asked if he knew why and he didn't. So I explained the situation to him........and he said this isn't the first time MV vendors have had trouble with new batches of rubber parts. So I guess the problem isn't rare. I still wonder what VWM is going to do long term to rectify this issue.

regards,
bob