Radiator problem

Talk about your truck here

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

bulldog_mack13

Radiator problem

Post by bulldog_mack13 »

I was driving yesterday up in the mountains and the truck started to shoot out coolant. Well that settled down and we cut a new over flow cord out of the top.
But After driving it again cooland or something started blowing out of the hood . I dont think its coming out of the radiator cap , but when I drain the antifreese out of the radiator its always dark brown. And thats the color that was coming out of the side of the hood. I dont have alot of money and dont have any idea what to do about how to fix it. HELP!
Lifer
1SG
1SG

Post by Lifer »

Have you checked the condition of your radiator hoses lately? One may have sprung a leak. Could be a blown thermostat housing gasket, too. Those are relatively cheap and easy to fix. Could be a hole in the radiator, too. That would be more expensive to fix.
"PER ARDUA AD ITER"
Carter
1SG
1SG

Post by Carter »

Check the engine block freeze plugs for signs of rust thru, brown coolant is a sign of rusting iron or steel somewhere in the system. Also check out the water pump for signs of leakage behind the fan hub and pulley and below the shaft bearing.
Carter
Life Member:
Delta, Peach Bottom Fish & Game Assn.
SOTVEN
SFC
SFC

Post by SOTVEN »

Let the truck on your driveway, fill it up with antifreeze, and put an old blanket in front of the radiator, so there is no adequate ventillation. Have the engine running with the hood open ( just be sure no blanket or fingers touch the fan blade). Look carefully as the engine warms up, where the leak is. Once you pin point the spot, turn off the engine and remove the blanket. We will take it from there about what you should do. Good luck. :)
LIFE IS SHORT AND ENDS UNEXPECTEDLY. MAKE EVERY MOMENT WORTH REMEMBERING.