Some Pictures of My Truck with the M-42 Canvas Installed

Talk about your truck here

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

52 M-42
SFC
SFC

Some Pictures of My Truck with the M-42 Canvas Installed

Post by 52 M-42 »

Last weekend I took my truck to a local show. I had decided to install the M-42 Command Truck Kit canvas because apparently I'd forgotten how involved the project could be.

A member over on Steel Soldiers had asked to see pictures of my truck with the M-42 canvas last December. I took some pictures and posted them over there as he had requested. T.Highway saw them and said he thought people over here might like to see them too. So, below are the pictures. There are no interior ones yet because all I put in the truck was the table and the seat cushions and backrest pads. Maybe by next summer I'll have the radios installed, the MRE Heater (RAK-15) and the cooler (blood cooler), the interior lights (map and overhead and utility light on the table). The boarding ladder should be done this fall.

So for those interested, here are the pictures:

Here It is at the show:

m-37Bruce
1SG
1SG

Re: Some Pictures of My Truck with the M-42 Canvas Installed

Post by m-37Bruce »

Looking great, I really "LIKE" them Combat Rims, I'm working on a set myself.
Last edited by m-37Bruce on Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bruce,

1953 M-37 w/ow

Retired Again

Keep Em Rollin'

VMVA
Murf
SSGT
SSGT

Post by Murf »

Verrry sharp ! Nicely done :!:
Cal_Gary

Post by Cal_Gary »

What an awesome truck!
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
MVPA Correspondent #28500
T. Highway

Post by T. Highway »

Storm,

Thanks for posting the pictures here also, I didn't want the guys here to miss out on these great photos. :wink:

Who did you buy the command canvas from?

Bert
1952 M37 W/W Rebuild @ 59% complete
Engine rebuild @ 95% complete
1985 M1009, 1990 M101A2, 2008 M116A3 Pioneer tool trailer
MVPA # 24265
NRA Life Member
NRA Cert. Personal Protection Pistol Instructor
NRA Cert. RSO
Class III RSO/KCR
Carter
1SG
1SG

Post by Carter »

Outstanding, what a fantastic looking truck. Do you have radios?
Carter
Life Member:
Delta, Peach Bottom Fish & Game Assn.
52 M-42
SFC
SFC

Post by 52 M-42 »

Thanks to all for the generous compliments on the truck. It's not done, of course (are they ever done?), but it keeps getting closer.

I like the combat rims because the standard spring type rims scare me to death. I have a set of the spring type for the truck and trailer, for a purist who may get the truck someday, but I won't use them. I do have a set of combat rims with the correct NDT tires for the truck and trailer, but they just wear out too fast on paved roads so they live in the storage unit.

The M-42 Command Truck Kit has been gathered over the years (I've had this truck for 35 years - it's the only pickup truck I've ever owned). The side curtains came from a gentleman in Tacoma named Cliff Tebeaux (sp ?) in the early 1980's. The front canvas and the table came from MWM recently. I think the front canvas was John's last one. The Map Light & Reel (not shown, but a brand new set) came from eBay. The wiring harness for the map light and reel will come from Vintage Wiring of Maine when I get around to measuring and spec'ing it. The seat and backrest pads came with an Arctic Enclosure Kit I ordered years ago for the truck bed from Surplus City in California.

The combat crockpot, cooler and boarding ladder are all current surplus items.

As for the radios, I ordered a ton of stuff from Fair Radio back in the early 1980's. I have complete GRC-3, -5 & -7 radio systems with mounts, antennas, mics, headphones, covers, manuals, etc. I also picked up an extra VRC-7 and an A/N GRR-5 with all the covers, plugs, antennas, mounts, manuals, etc.

To hook all this stuff up in the bed of the truck I have to install the power distribution system that was in the Command Truck (well, the modified modern version because the old junction boxes are not available anymore - as least as far as I've searched for them). Hopefully, that is a project I'll complete this winter (I said that last winter too; but this time I have the parts).

The final project will be to overhaul and restore all the radios and mounts. Finding someone on this side of the dirt who knows about these old tube radios will be a quest.

Thanks again for all the compliments on the truck! :D

52 M-42
m-37Bruce
1SG
1SG

Post by m-37Bruce »

I thought I was taking my time, very sweet looking truck, I've been at it since 99' and the big electric days. Again Excellent work.
Bruce,

1953 M-37 w/ow

Retired Again

Keep Em Rollin'

VMVA
Elwood
MSGT
MSGT

Post by Elwood »

Well done!

Is that a tow strap or something else hanging through the pintle on the back?
“When a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, IT IS THEIR RIGHT, IT IS THEIR DUTY, TO THROW OFF SUCH GOVERNMENT...” -Declaration of Independence, 1776
52 M-42
SFC
SFC

Post by 52 M-42 »

Those are tow "slings" more accurately. They came from CUCV's originally. They are good for 44,000 lbs. and are great for quickly attaching other, longer straps. They also make a great step to get into the back without lowering the tailgate. I have one front and rear between the shackles.

I think I got them from G.L. Laub Military Surplus online.
Kaegi
SFC
SFC

Post by Kaegi »

looks great. I always upgrade PWs and M37s to combat rims as well. much better design. the original prototype M37s I believe had combat rims also. I think the dropped them to save money. we were in big debt after WW2. more than we are today!
Elwood
MSGT
MSGT

Post by Elwood »

Kaegi wrote:looks great. I always upgrade PWs and M37s to combat rims as well. much better design. the original prototype M37s I believe had combat rims also. I think the dropped them to save money. we were in big debt after WW2. more than we are today!
While the debt-to-GDP ratio immediately after WWII was higher than today (120% versus just over 100% now, with current known and acknowledged federal debt at close to $18 trillion), the comparison is not entirely accurate. In the post-WWII period we did not have the trillions (over a hundred trillion dollars [i.e. over five times our current debt] by some estimates) of unfunded future entitlements that we do now. There's also the question as to productivity, in other words our ability to grow our way out of the debt pile, and the trends over the last years has not been encouraging.

Do the combat rims have the same bead width?
“When a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, IT IS THEIR RIGHT, IT IS THEIR DUTY, TO THROW OFF SUCH GOVERNMENT...” -Declaration of Independence, 1776
52 M-42
SFC
SFC

Post by 52 M-42 »

As far as I know, the WWII combat rims were designed for the 9.00X16 NDT tire. I have never had a problem with any of mine and I have been using them for 25 to 30 years' with lots of different tires.

How long they'll last I don't know. Mine are all dated '42 and '43. They are about 72 years old now. I guess I'll wait to see if they out last me. I'm only 63 so they have a head start. :D

52 M-42
Kaegi
SFC
SFC

Post by Kaegi »

Elwood wrote:
Kaegi wrote:looks great. I always upgrade PWs and M37s to combat rims as well. much better design. the original prototype M37s I believe had combat rims also. I think the dropped them to save money. we were in big debt after WW2. more than we are today!
While the debt-to-GDP ratio immediately after WWII was higher than today (120% versus just over 100% now, with current known and acknowledged federal debt at close to $18 trillion), the comparison is not entirely accurate. In the post-WWII period we did not have the trillions (over a hundred trillion dollars [i.e. over five times our current debt] by some estimates) of unfunded future entitlements that we do now. There's also the question as to productivity, in other words our ability to grow our way out of the debt pile, and the trends over the last years has not been encouraging.

Do the combat rims have the same bead width?
yes the rims are the same width. as split rims go the PW/M37 rim is a good set up but the combat is obviously fool proof.

that is true about not being able to growing our way out for sure. I think we need to bring back huge import taxes like we had back in those days. that is what everyone who imports here does with a couple exceptions. If I export to China its at least 20% tax to the importer when it hits the dock. If I go to china and export here the same good or product zero import tax on our end. just not sustainable.
F18hornetm
SGT
SGT

Post by F18hornetm »

Great looking truck. love the detail of the bolts on the front winch etc. From your pictures I've figured out what mines missing on the rear. I take its that's the exhaust extension on the right rear?Thanks