Transmission...What to do?

Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

WV3777
PVT
PVT

Transmission...What to do?

Post by WV3777 »

I am in the process of expanding the M37 list of things to do. My M37B1 project started out just rebuilding the bed and fresh paint. Well.....that was before I decided to go full frame off Restoration/Mod.

The question I have is, what transmission would be good to use. Truck has the 360LA Engine installed with Ray's kit. I plan on using a stock rebuilt transfer case. I don't want to move the cross member to put the NV4500 in so I am considering the NP 435. Second question, can I use my winch with the NP 435. And finally, which NP435 do I need to use as there are several different ones.

Any advice appreciated.

Aaron
JimC
SSGT
SSGT

Re: Transmission...What to do?

Post by JimC »

I'd use the original M37 transmission by switching to the long civilian pilot shaft.
W_A_Watson_II
SFC
SFC

Post by W_A_Watson_II »

Not sure if the NP435 for the Dodges come in a drives side PTO Window, and mine are hydraulic clutch/bell housing units.
Thanks,
Will
1946 Dodge Power Wagon
1953 Dodge M37 - "Frankenstein"
My 1953 Dodge M37 WEB Site
WV3777
PVT
PVT

Post by WV3777 »

Thanks guys.. At least I know I am on a path. Maybe I'll find the right one. If I could only find an early NP435 with the dual PTO windows.... Any leads?

The stock 420 wears me out in 1st and 2nd. Third is a partial syncro shift and fouth is about a 3/4 syncro shift... Lots of steep hills in West Virginia and I think I would be happier in the long run with the NP 435, and with the cab and bed off and in the body shop, now is the best time for the change.

Thanks,

Aaron
Kaegi
SFC
SFC

Post by Kaegi »

they did make dual port NP435s I am pretty sure. I would contact Dave at uglytruckling .com He may have one or at least can tell you whats available.. make sure to get the 435 with the granny first gear. they do make close ratio 435s which are excellent if you tow a lot but not so good off road. if the 420 isn't shifting easily in to 3rd and 4th the synchro is probably worn out.
Chelsea 352 is the PTO you need. they are still available and not impossible to find used. it will need the correct gear installed for whatever tranny you decide to go with. I know a place in Indianna that does that for a good price. Might even have a 352. Let me know if you want the contact info I will look for it.
WV3777
PVT
PVT

Post by WV3777 »

Thanks for the info. If you could post the contact information, I would appreciates it. I do see a couple Chelsea 352s on ebay right now. I wonder if they still produce the dual PTO Transmission Cases? If so, I could just transfer the rest of the NP 435 I have in it during the rebuild.

Aaron
Kaegi
SFC
SFC

Post by Kaegi »

www.uglytruckling.com will have contact info. He might have a 352 as well