Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

pwrwagonfire
SSGT
SSGT

Re: Pictures of snow plow mounts please

Post by pwrwagonfire »

Carter wrote:
pwrwagonfire wrote:Carter,

I just came across this old thread. I have all the parts collected, and am HOPING to get my plow set up on the M-37 next year. Yours is EXACTLY the set-up which I've had in my head! :D
It seems to be a good design that has worked well for years.

I assume you're just using a snatch block hooked to the top, or do you have some sort of roller fabricated in?
Yes it uses a snatch block, thought about a roller but the block keeps the wire rope centered and does not allow it to slip to one side under load.

I know its probably a PITA...but could I trouble you for a few basic measurements on that set up?
Tell me what you need and I'll get them for you when the temps warm from the present -0 :shock: supposed to climb to 30/ 35 later in the week.
-T

That second picture is exactly what I was hoping for.
Did you investigate the possibility of putting pins in instead of bolts to hold the plow frame to the shackle mounts? Would the plow pins be too weak?
Thanks again!!

-T
Carter
1SG
1SG

Post by Carter »

I used bolts because I did not have pins on hand at the time I was putting it together but now that you mention it I think I'll get a set.
Carter
Life Member:
Delta, Peach Bottom Fish & Game Assn.
pwrwagonfire
SSGT
SSGT

Post by pwrwagonfire »

Carter wrote:I used bolts because I did not have pins on hand at the time I was putting it together but now that you mention it I think I'll get a set.
That answers my question :lol:
I just wasn't sure if pins we'rent tough enough to handle the stress...but I guess they would have to be!

-T
Carter
1SG
1SG

Post by Carter »

Let me know when you need measurements.
Carter
Life Member:
pwrwagonfire
SSGT
SSGT

Post by pwrwagonfire »

Carter wrote:Let me know when you need measurements.
Definitely will, thanks!

-T
j mccormick
CPL
CPL

Post by j mccormick »

Looking at Carter's setup for a snowplow and had a couple questions. What does the mount do if you have the blade down and back up since its not attached at the bottom? Does it make it pull away from the bottom of the bumper? Also are the truck headlights high enough to shine ahead with the plow up, since I don't see any lights on the mount? I like the ease of removal and not having to make modifications to the frame bolting extra metal onto the truck.
Carter
1SG
1SG

Post by Carter »

j mccormick wrote:Looking at Carter's setup for a snowplow and had a couple questions. What does the mount do if you have the blade down and back up since its not attached at the bottom? Does it make it pull away from the bottom of the bumper? Also are the truck headlights high enough to shine ahead with the plow up, since I don't see any lights on the mount? I like the ease of removal and not having to make modifications to the frame bolting extra metal onto the truck.
The mount does pull away a small amount when backing over an already plowed area and I have not tried backing with the blade down over unplowed ground. The amount it pulls away from the bottom of the bumper is probably no more than a few inches although I have never noticed a problem when it does so.

When traveling with the blade up at night I only raise it about 6 inches off the ground, the height of the lights is enough that it does shine on the roadway ahead, however, it also illuminates the back of the blade and is distracting but not to the point you can't see to drive. Additional lights added to the top portion of the A frame would be a benefit in that they would eliminate the glare of reflected light off of the blade.

Album of plow & mount shots: http://www.g741.org/photogallery/main.p ... emId=14109
Carter
Life Member:
j mccormick
CPL
CPL

Post by j mccormick »

Thanks so much for your reply. I have an old scout that the body is rusting away that has an original IH snow plow that I would like to put on my M37 and your mount looks ideal. I plow out my driveway and up by the door to my shop I usually pull the snow away from the doors backward, hence the question about it pulling away from the bumper. But that would be easy to remedy with a bracket to the crossmember I'm sure. Thanks again for posting the pictures and your speedy reply to an old thread.

Joe
Carter
1SG
1SG

Post by Carter »

You are welcome and just a comment about back dragging snow, I have done it frequently with no problems. I have used this style mount for years, first on my WC52 then I made a similar one for the M37 and have used both for back dragging un-plowed areas but trying to do it on a plowed up pile of snow usually do not meet with much success as the pile is made of compacted material and hard to move in that way.

Carter
Life Member:
T. Highway

Post by T. Highway »

Love that picture every time I see it Carter.

For some reason I got a chill looking at the snow in that picture..............thanks for the reminder of what is to come Carter.

Bert
1952 M37 W/W Rebuild @ 59% complete
Engine rebuild @ 95% complete
1985 M1009, 1990 M101A2, 2008 M116A3 Pioneer tool trailer
MVPA # 24265
NRA Life Member
NRA Cert. Personal Protection Pistol Instructor
NRA Cert. RSO
Class III RSO/KCR
Carter
1SG
1SG

Post by Carter »

Yes Bert, I have posted it several times :oops: and that day the temp. was just above zero and my fingers were as cold as ice, clinched fists did not work. That image is my favorite one of my old WC. :D
Carter
Life Member:
LegionPiper
PFC
PFC

Post by LegionPiper »

I nearly fell off my chair when I saw this Post !
I thought I was the only guy with a Plow on the "Beast"

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B0c91 ... nJOSkhSV0U
The guys that put this together invested a lot of time with the Hydraulics.

The Blade itself weighs in the order to 350 to 400 LBS.

There are 6 Large Springs that hold the top back...
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B0c91 ... WhMWUMxSFU
As you can see the Winch disappeared a long time ago likely to make this happen.
:(
Carter
1SG
1SG

Post by Carter »

Legion, what powers your hyd. cyl. electric or hand pump? You have a nice set up and also a good looking hard top, had the truck long?
Carter
Life Member:
W_A_Watson_II
SFC
SFC

Post by W_A_Watson_II »

Daniel Siford asked that I share the pictures of his M37 Snow Plow Mount. He says the frame is removable and bolts to the frame just behind the winch.

Thanks,
Will
1946 Dodge Power Wagon
1953 Dodge M37 - "Frankenstein"
My 1953 Dodge M37 WEB Site
Carter
1SG
1SG

Post by Carter »

Good looking rig and with hyd. power it would be a lot easier to use than mine.
Carter
Life Member: