Good trip gone crappy.....

Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

Monkey Man
Site Admin
Site Admin

Good trip gone crappy.....

Post by Monkey Man »

Well, Ann, the Kids and I loaded up, went to steamfest for the weekend and although hot and dusty it was for the best part great, loaded back up again, I was in the Dodge, the rest of the crew in the car and set off back home......Well, I got 75% of the way back and suddenly a loud squeaking apperered so I found a safe verge and pulled over, after 10 minutes of looking it appeared one of the exhaust rubbers had let go and the engine pipe was moving a bit, no biggie so I got back in and took off again, friggin disaster struck, I was half way around an armco shielded shoulder and Bang, next thing I know is I have no drive so I get a quick tow from Harry's Landrover with Richard behind the wheel to get me past the armco but still too close to the road. As I was being towed I saw in the mirror that the right rear wasn't turning, Far out, what could it be????
Next step was to pull the axle, free up the wheel and get further off the verge but pulling the axle only 6" out took a hell of an effort, even after putting the hubs in and rocking back and forth to free everything up and the end of the axle being hot didn't help either so I can only assume it has broken and splayed up towards the hub, the heat was from the failure. I was in the process of taking the tailshaft and left axle out plus removing the right rears drive studs out so we could drive it if the need arose but to play it safe we called a towtruck and got it flatbedded back to my place so 1 1/12 hour drive back to my place turned into 3 hours and a lot of questions I need to answer for my own sake. I have (well only one now) good axles fitted that looked 100% when I put them back in, all backlash in drivetrain was eliminated, I moved the perfect diff from the front to the rear of the truck when I did the last lot of work and I have been nice to the truck, occasional bit of wheelspin on dirt etc. but nothing to write home about so I just don't know, I guess until I get the axle out and look at what let go I just won't know and I have let Daniel Tibus know it has failes and will send him pics too as these things were built to take a pizzling and not even look the other way, I am sure he would be interested......
Anyone got a short rear axle hanging in their junkbox??

MM :roll:
Trained Monkey on Guard
dodgem37@netspace.net.au
Monkey Man
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Good trip gone crappy.....

Post by Monkey Man »

Need another bit of advice sorry, the axle has broken and left a long tail in the differential itself, I am pretty sure it can not be dislodged from the other side and I can see it and have tried to friction drive it out with a screwdriver but to no avail. Seeing as the outer portion of the is stuck too I wonder if I force it out is there the possibility of irreversible damage to the outer axle tube? If I got that out I may be able to snare the axle, if not this has me temporarily stuffed, any ideas welcome guys as if I get that cleaned out I can reassemble the drivetrain and then just look for a replacement axle...

MM :D
Trained Monkey on Guard
dodgem37@netspace.net.au
Jim Branson
PFC
PFC

Post by Jim Branson »

Hey MM, if you have a piece of the axle left in the diff you can take a 5/8's x 6' ground rod and insulate it so that it will center itself in the axle tube and hook your stick welder clamp on the end then turn up the amps. Guide the rod in until it hits the axle and hopefully it will stick enough to pull it out. I know it can work because I've done it. Good luck!

Jim
1951 M37 W/W
1961 M201B1 W/W
MVPA #31454
I was Chrysler when Chrysler wasn't cool!
Monkey Man
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Monkey Man »

Thanks Jim, I will try that but my problem is the outer section is where it broke and the outer axle bit is jammed in the axle tube, so much so that It locked the wheel up and was immobilising the truck think my only option is to wrap a chain around it and a sledgehammer and make an impromptu slide hammer to yank it out, I would play it safe and cut the flange off and go back the other way with it but seeing as the inner axle section is still in the diff I can't remove that either.....
Has anyone else had to do this and what was the eventual result?? Not too much damage I would hope :|

MM :(
Trained Monkey on Guard
dodgem37@netspace.net.au
T. Highway

Post by T. Highway »

MM,

I have had to beat broken half shafts out of a couple of large truck axles and it was never fun.
I can remember one that I had to beat in and out several times to break debris loose that had it bound up tight in the housing.

Remember your safety glasses and protective gear for yourself anyone helping you. I do recall splinters of the metal flying everywhere.

Keep us posted and don't forget the pictures.

Bert
1952 M37 W/W Rebuild @ 59% complete
Engine rebuild @ 95% complete
1985 M1009, 1990 M101A2, 2008 M116A3 Pioneer tool trailer
MVPA # 24265
NRA Life Member
NRA Cert. Personal Protection Pistol Instructor
NRA Cert. RSO
Class III RSO/KCR
w30bob
1SG
1SG

Post by w30bob »

Hi MM,

Did you find a replacement axle? If not there's one on Ebay right now from AB Linn. He seems to have a bunch of these axles, as he lists them frequently. It's a Buy It Now for $49, but I'm sure the shipping will suck big time. Here's the link.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Military-vehicl ... _25wt_1399

regards,
bob
Monkey Man
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Monkey Man »

Thanks Bob and guys, I have contacted AB regarding this, can't go past that price :wink:
Extraction of the rest of the mess this weekend, should be fun..... :?
Trained Monkey on Guard
dodgem37@netspace.net.au
w30bob
1SG
1SG

Post by w30bob »

MM,

I know you'll probably be busy cursing a lot this weekend as you take that axle piece out.....but if possible can you get some pics? I think I understand your problem from the description....but I'd like to be sure....and maybe file those pics away in case that ever happens to me in the future.

thanks,
bob
Monkey Man
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Monkey Man »

No worries Bob, will do, Thanks Charles Talbert for your advice on axle types and qualities....
The truck will be back on the road soon even thought it'll be front wheel drive only for now but that will allow me to do the ANZAC day parade successfully, I can then simply await the new axle and and fit it, sounds easy when you say it like that LOL

Trained Monkey on Guard
dodgem37@netspace.net.au
Monkey Man
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Monkey Man »

I tried the chain and sledgehammer effort last night, didn't move at all but the sledgehammer got to feel like a bungee jumper for a good 10 minutes and I worked up quite a sweat, i'll try a couple of othet things suggested to me by Charles, Bob and a few others on the weekend to attempt extracting the inner section from the diff and then work the outer axle section back the other way if successful, if not I have the stuff to make a jack standoff plate and I'll use that, a 5 ton jack and a length of chain to "press" it out of there, I am still hesitant to bring the outer section out first but I simply may have no choice......

Trained Monkey on Guard
dodgem37@netspace.net.au
Monkey Man
Site Admin
Site Admin

Progress......

Post by Monkey Man »

You guys must be getting sick of hearing about this by now?
OK, outer is out, inner is still in but some progress is better than no progress but I had Great help, My good wench as a winch, well, looking like one, we did actually use mechanical force with a stilson to rotate it back and forth then it jumped out of the tube and onto the ground looking like it's something that could have been worse, the inner looks like it may be the same sort of fight but if I weld a rod to it, use the diff to rotate it and the puller on it too then once the axle clears the diff I can simply knock it back through, or is that wishful thinking????? :?

Wench as winch (translates to Awesome Wife helping)

This bugger won't slip it's chain...

Tensioner using ratchet strap

Finally Out

What a mess, there are words for this but it is a Family Forum.......

Part 2, inner axle removal will commence tomorrow, If this is boring you all please let me know :wink:

Trained Monkey on Guard
dodgem37@netspace.net.au
w30bob
1SG
1SG

Post by w30bob »

MM....not boring at all. More like a sitcom with a cliff-hanger ending each episode. Can't wait to see the next piece removed. :mrgreen:

thanks,
bob
T. Highway

Post by T. Highway »

w30bob wrote:MM....not boring at all. More like a sitcom with a cliff-hanger ending each episode. Can't wait to see the next piece removed. :mrgreen:

thanks,
bob
Nice comment Bob.........I almost spit coffee out my nose when I read that. :lol:

Keep the pictures coming MM. I must say that you do have a very understanding wife.

My wife would of just :roll: and said "I don't think so"

Bert
1952 M37 W/W Rebuild @ 59% complete
Engine rebuild @ 95% complete
1985 M1009, 1990 M101A2, 2008 M116A3 Pioneer tool trailer
MVPA # 24265
NRA Life Member
NRA Cert. Personal Protection Pistol Instructor
NRA Cert. RSO
Class III RSO/KCR
messge80
PVT
PVT

Post by messge80 »

nice job
Monkey Man
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Monkey Man »

Better pics of the broken stub, seems it has splintered, the fragments have rubbed in the tube and it's made an effort to weld itself in place, that would have been a nightmare had it occurred. (anyone else had one go like this?)
Part 2 of the extraction may have to wait a day, I had an inner ear problem last night and the ensuing effects have negated me doing much at all today so you get the cliffhanger AND more time to anticipate it's contunuation.....
Pics to tide you over :wink:

Trained Monkey on Guard
dodgem37@netspace.net.au