Canvas cargo cover

Talk about your truck here

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

judge4guns

Canvas cargo cover

Post by judge4guns »

Haven't posted for a while, but got my M37 home by Christmas. 350 Chevy short block runs like a charm. Turbo 400 tranny works great. Power steering, Disc brakes in front, drums on back. Dana 60 front-end Dana 70 in back. Adding a few things here & there, but otherwise it looks & drives great. I need a cargo cover however. Looking to buy a used one if possible. Anyone know of one out there somewhere? If not a cover, then I'm looking for the wooden slats/stakes for the back.
mike_l
SGT
SGT

Re: Canvas cargo cover

Post by mike_l »

I don't have a correct canvas top for sale but I can tell you about one that works in a pinch. The hardware stores carry a 10oz canvas OD tarp, 10x12. It fits the cargo box pretty well. It is too long from front to back, there is plenty of overhang. The sides are just about a perfect length. The detractors are the silver grommets on the sides are not exactly in the right place but do work well enough to hold the tarp down at top speed and the front and back edges don't have the sleeve the draw rope is in on the real ones. Also, they don't have the roll-up buckles on the top. However, for a winter tarp or a quick, close-enough for non-govt work, it works. I have one on my truck, drive it around like that and no one is the wiser. Now, I wouldn't take it to a show or rally without putting the real one back on but this works without worrying about messing up a good one.

I like it so much, I have considered sewing up a tunnel at the front and back ends for a draw rope, sewing roll-up buckles on the top, and painting the eyelets black. I measured it once and there is enough overhang on the front and back that I can sew a 2in wide tunnel on each end and still have about a 6in overhang-just like my "proper" reproduction. Heck, I'd bet a lot of guys wouldn't know the difference until they got up close.

My 10x12 canvas tarp cost $50 on sale and a "proper" reproduction costs about $400.
Mike
Marion, IN
1954 M37 W/OW
1953 M101
Indiana MVPA
messge80
PVT
PVT

Post by messge80 »

Can we see some pictures sounds like it works good.
m37jarhead
SFC
SFC

Post by m37jarhead »

Mike:
Great idea. Re-pro cargo tops are pricey.
What's your source for the canvas and what's the price?
Can you or anyone on this post tell what the "ounce" rating means....
10 oz., 15oz. etc.?
Maybe a local tent and awning company would have what we're looking for.
A pic or pic's of your setup would sure help.
Jerry
Member: Arizona Military Vehicle Collector's Club, Treasurer.
Past Pres
Member: MVPA #26600
Member: NRA
‘43 GPW, '53 M37 W/W, ‘54 M170 Field Ambulance,
59 M43, '76 M151A2, '86 CUCV,
'43 GPW, 416 & 101 trailers.
powerwagontim
SFC
SFC

Post by powerwagontim »

The number refers to ounces per square yard. Bigger number = thicker canvas.
Tim
Happiness is enjoying what you already have!
mike_l
SGT
SGT

Post by mike_l »

Hey guys, sorry about the lag. I figured some photos would be in order. I'll go out and take some photos-looks like a nice sunny day today. Check back this afternoon.

My canvas came from Menards but I think most any of the big hardware stores or tractor stores (Big R, Tractor Supply, etc.) carry the same tarps. I'll look around and see if I can find the maker.
Mike
Marion, IN
1954 M37 W/OW
1953 M101
Indiana MVPA
mike_l
SGT
SGT

Post by mike_l »

OK, I took some photos this morning and posted 5 photos of the tarp. Check out my album HERE.

This is how it sits in the driveway-hunkered down in Winter position. When I take Patches out for a spin, I wrap the tail flaps up under the bow and bungee them to up. You can see how much extra material is present at the ends, nearly 18in. As mentioned, I'd considered hemming a rope into the ends for a more OE look. There would be enough material if I trimmed it to use for roll-up buckle pads and reinforcement/patching materials. The 10' width of the tarp runs front to rear. For us geometrically challenged, that means the 12' length runs from side to side. It isn't square right now but it sits about 3.5in above the fenders on each side when adjusted. You'll also see I have a wood panel in top to help keep the ice from settling between the bows. It looks real good around town but I put my repro cover back on for the MV crowd.
Mike
Marion, IN
1954 M37 W/OW
1953 M101
Indiana MVPA
messge80
PVT
PVT

Post by messge80 »

t
That looks good and works well for the price