Talk about your truck here

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

Tim Powell
MSGT
MSGT

Mixed Emotions

Post by Tim Powell »

Hey Crew.
In about 3 weeks I've been invited to display "Lori's M" at our local "Air Show". For those of you I am in close contact you know I've never painted a vehicle before and our truck is a long way from being finished. You can see that in the photo album. Still have parts missing and the wiring still needs changed out. (have a new/used harness still in the box)
Anyway, my question is this. Should I put some sort of a sign or explanation as to this truck being a "work in progress"? I've been asked to bring the truck, trailer & air-cart. There will be a C-130 & a B-17 I'm told. I'm excited to be invited but worried about the unfinished condition of our rig. "A penny for your thoughts"!
Tim & Lori
Tim & Lori Powell
1952 Dodge M-37
1968 M101A1 Cargo Trailer
2011 F350 Ford Flatbed
MC-A1 Air Compressor Unit
Military Tank APU

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil
is that good men do nothing."
refit1701
1SG
1SG

Re: Mixed Emotions

Post by refit1701 »

I think you should go and have a good time. Most of the people you will meet won't realize the truck is not "complete".
-John
Member of Dixie Division MVC

1953 USAF M37 wow, restored
1962 M151 Ford Production, on the rotisserie now
1953 USMC M37 w/w -in storage
1942 M6 Bomb Service Truck (sold to UK collector)
1967 M116A1 Pioneer Trailer
1968 M101A1 Trailer
S-89 Comm box
m-37Bruce
1SG
1SG

Post by m-37Bruce »

John is right, go, have some fun & make a small sign to post in the windscreen, that says what is what. Do it on a computer, print it nice, large enough to read at 5/6 feet, 1954 G-741, aka; Dodge M-37 Parade Ready or Display Ready, simi complete or "In Progress" maybe some before pic's to show your progress & sincerity?
JMHO,
Bruce,

1953 M-37 w/ow

Retired Again

Keep Em Rollin'

VMVA
Monkey Man
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Monkey Man »

Well.....
You can put a sign on it if it makes you feel better but the point is, go, enjoy yourself and enjoy the truck for what it is, if it's clearly unfinished then it's not a worry and you may even get some of the parts you require from the viewing public. Don't bust your butt trying to get it done though, take your time and do the work right, if anyone says it's no good because it's not finished then tell them to go take a hike....

MM :D
Trained Monkey on Guard
dodgem37@netspace.net.au
WarrenD
SSGT
SSGT

Post by WarrenD »

I took mine to several shows last fall just after I got it. It was in various stages of re-paint, but I was out there. It still got it's share of attention. What I'm really looking forward to is going to the same shows again this year now that the project is almost complete.
I've seen some pretty beat up stuff at the shows, I'd say go, have a good time, answer questions don't look back. You'll likely find more people interested in the work you've done so than the work you need to do. Might even get some helpful advice on the upcoming work!
Tim Powell
MSGT
MSGT

Post by Tim Powell »

WOW.
I offered a "penny for your thoughts" and received a million dollars worth of golden advise! We're going, head high, shoulders back and ready to check-out some cool airplanes! Thanks All My Friends!
Tim & Lori
Tim & Lori Powell
1952 Dodge M-37
2011 F350 Ford Flatbed
Military Tank APU

m-37Bruce
1SG
1SG

Post by m-37Bruce »

I almost forgot my first (and only show so far) I pulled into the Powhatan County Fair Grounds August, 2001 and my entire exhaust immediately dropped off. I had only owned the truck 4 or 6 weeks, noisy as all get out. The guy I bought the truck from came over, said he recognized the melodic hummmmmmmm...
Bruce,

1953 M-37 w/ow

Retired Again

Keep Em Rollin'

VMVA
Tim Powell
MSGT
MSGT

Post by Tim Powell »

Now that's a funny story! I guess it adds "human element" to the story! Found memory!
Tim & Lori Powell
1952 Dodge M-37
2011 F350 Ford Flatbed
Military Tank APU

w30bob
1SG
1SG

Post by w30bob »

Tim,

I know that when I go to air shows or military shows I'm happy to see vehicles in ANY condition.....as that sure beats not seeing them at all. The guys are right. Go to the show, sign or not, not just for your sake....but for everyone else's sake who's attending as well. When it comes to shows.....the more vehicles on display....the better! Have a great time!

regards,
bob
T. Highway

Post by T. Highway »

Tim,

I would not hesitate at all taking your truck, you have done more than the armchair critics would of ever done.

If they are bent on finding fault, just point to a spot low on the truck and apply an elbow or knee. :twisted: Just kidding.

Bert
1952 M37 W/W Rebuild @ 59% complete
Engine rebuild @ 95% complete
1985 M1009, 1990 M101A2, 2008 M116A3 Pioneer tool trailer
MVPA # 24265
NRA Life Member
NRA Cert. Personal Protection Pistol Instructor
NRA Cert. RSO
Class III RSO/KCR
Tim Powell
MSGT
MSGT

Post by Tim Powell »

Hey Crew.
I'm printing notes and going to study all the intel this week while I'm on the road. I leave tomorrow at 05:30 for my week on the road. I really like the "low spot on the truck" idea!!
Got the rest of the brackets and misc. parts blasted and painted this morning so when I get home next week I can start bolting things back together. A lot of these parts are from you Guys!! Talk to ya-all next week!
Tim & Lori
Tim & Lori Powell
1952 Dodge M-37
2011 F350 Ford Flatbed
Military Tank APU

skinnedknuckles
CPL
CPL

Post by skinnedknuckles »

Tim ,
Like everyone else said Go and enjoy You'll be surprised at the response that you will get. Just last weekend we had a thresheree just a few miles from my place and I took a couple of trucks. One was missing engine, transmission, transfercase and interior. I just hung sign boards on it and people were still looking at it and asking LOTS of questions :D
Paul in Janesville, Wisconsin
1953 m37 parts truck
1961 m37b1 finally going together and turning green
and a bunch of other green trucks that are taking over my driveway
MVPA and MVPG member
majorhitt
SGT
SGT

Post by majorhitt »

Like was said in the previous post, GO don't worry . Step back and listen to the remarks it'll be fun!!!
52 M-42
SFC
SFC

Post by 52 M-42 »

Like everyone has said just go and enjoy yourself. My wife and I take the truck to car shows mostly to enjoy the little kids. They just light up when there is a vehicle at these shows that they can climb all over. It's a lot of fun. Their parents seem to appreciate it too.

So, relax, go and enjoy yourself. The truck will be appreciated.

52 M-42
Tim Powell
MSGT
MSGT

Post by Tim Powell »

Just got in off the road and ready to start back on the "M". The stencil kit arrived while I was gone!! Hip-Hip-Horray!!
Tim & Lori Powell
1952 Dodge M-37
2011 F350 Ford Flatbed
Military Tank APU