Vapor Lock

Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

kelley
PFC
PFC

Vapor Lock

Post by kelley »

Gentlemen, My m37 runs and drives great, But in the hot weather when i shut it down it needs to cool for 15-20 minutes before it will re start. I removed the filler panels below the hood and insulated the fuel line from the pump to the carburator. This has helped a lot, Any advise would be very helpful. I don't want to have any problems at the memorial day parade.
ZGjethro
SFC
SFC

Re: Vapor Lock

Post by ZGjethro »

You could add an electric fuel pump back near the tank so you would be pushing fuel instead of drawing it. I think you can have both pumps in the same system and only use the electrical one for when you might need it, like when it is hot.
kelley
PFC
PFC

Post by kelley »

Thank's ZG, I'm sure electric is the way to go.
rtkjmk
PFC
PFC

Post by rtkjmk »

:D I installed a electric fuel pump on the frame just over the rear axle in front of the fuel tank . I use a" momentary on" switch on the dash with a idiot light , this so I don't leave the pump on when I don't need it . It's also great for starting the a M37 that has been sitting for a while , keeps from having to crank the engine to fill the carb . It takes care of the" Vapor Lock Blues " when you are on Parade Duty . Another little tip is if you are using the stock ignition make sure your vent lines are hooked up, they help cool the coil , which if it over heats , will give you the dreaded " over heated coils blues " It's no fun having a Flame Out during a parade , been there done that , I was lucky I was going down hill ! drifted over to the curb , get the hook ! bob k
kelley
PFC
PFC

Post by kelley »

Bob, Coil vent lines are all set. The electric pump will be functional before 7/4/12. I'm happy to report no problems yesterday.
Thank's for responding.
Jon kelley
pwrwagonfire
SSGT
SSGT

Post by pwrwagonfire »

ZGjethro wrote:You could add an electric fuel pump back near the tank so you would be pushing fuel instead of drawing it. I think you can have both pumps in the same system and only use the electrical one for when you might need it, like when it is hot.
This is exactly what we did on our 1957, and 1964 WM300 Power Wagons at work. The electric pump we used was a flow-through one, so it didn't NEED to be turned on for the fuel to pass through it.

It helps out A LOT on hot days, when the truck is working hard (especially on ours, as they are still used as firetrucks).

I think it is almost essential to have one on a 230ci IMHO, between our two, it seems that engine is much more susceptible to heat related "illnesses"
kelley
PFC
PFC

Post by kelley »

Pwrwagonfire, Right after memorial day i purchased an inline fuel pump on E bay ( USA made ). It is currently sitting in it's box, under the drivers seat with several other parts i'm trying to find the time to install. Ever since i pulled the filler panels off it has'nt been an issue. Granted this strictly a recreational vehicle for me and if the vaporlock comes back i'll take a snooze and wait for it.
By the way where in central Mass. are you, I'm in Fitchburg.
Jon
pwrwagonfire
SSGT
SSGT

Post by pwrwagonfire »

kelley wrote:Pwrwagonfire, Right after memorial day i purchased an inline fuel pump on E bay ( USA made ). It is currently sitting in it's box, under the drivers seat with several other parts i'm trying to find the time to install. Ever since i pulled the filler panels off it has'nt been an issue. Granted this strictly a recreational vehicle for me and if the vaporlock comes back i'll take a snooze and wait for it.
By the way where in central Mass. are you, I'm in Fitchburg.
Jon

Hey glad you found a solution!

That's wild you're in Fitchburg, I'm actually right over the line in Leominster, near the high school!