LED fog and backup lights

Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

ZGjethro
SFC
SFC

LED fog and backup lights

Post by ZGjethro »

I have been looking around and have found a few high lumen LED 24v lights online. I am interested in LEDs due to the low current draw. I would like to add a circuit to run fog lights up front and backup lights on the rear. Has anyone here done something similar? are there any lights that should/could be used to keep the originality of the truck? If the LEDs last as long as they say, they might be wired through an ignition switch relay so they run when the truck is running, all the time.
SOTVEN
SFC
SFC

Re: LED fog and backup lights

Post by SOTVEN »

I HAVE INSTALLED ROLL BAR LIGHTS AS WELL AS REVERSE BEAMS ON SEPERATE CIRCUITS WITH INLINE FUSES AS YOU CAN SEE AT MY ALBUM, BUT THEY ARE NOT LED. AS A MATTER OF FACT, WITH THE LITTLE EXPERIENCE I HAVE HAD WITH LED FLASHLIGHTS, VERSUS THE SAME FLASHLIGHT WITH HALOGEN FILLAMENT, I COULD NOT CARE LESS ABOUT LED. HOWEVER, THEY SAY THAT THE DRAW CURRENT IS DISMAL COMPARED TO THE REGULAR FILAMENTS. IF THIS IS TRUE, THEN I SEE NO REASON WHY IT COULD NOT BE FEASIBLE TO WIRE THEM THROUGH THE IGNITION SWITCH, THOUGH MY PERSONAL PREFERANCE WOULD BE A SEPERATE SWITCH. GOOD LUCK :D
LIFE IS SHORT AND ENDS UNEXPECTEDLY. MAKE EVERY MOMENT WORTH REMEMBERING.
ZGjethro
SFC
SFC

Post by ZGjethro »

I was going to run the LED front lights through a relay controlled by the ignition switch. Separate circuit from the ignition. I could go halogen, but since the generator is putting out only 25 amps I wanted a low draw. Halogen would be cheaper. I have one of the newer LED helmet mounted lights for night time dirt biking. It makes the dual halogen lights on my KTM seem dingy and yellow. The new LED lights are not like the early LED flash lights.
M37UK
SSGT
SSGT

Post by M37UK »

All my turn signal lamps are LED and they have worked without fault since I installed them a few years ago. The only thing to watch is that some flasher units dont like them as they
dont draw enough current but my setup is fine.

Hope this helps :)
Stu

1952 Dodge M37 with 1952 M101 Trailer
MVT UK
SMVG Scotland
ZGjethro
SFC
SFC

Post by ZGjethro »

I have Hummvee signals up front and have rewired the rear tail lights to bottom turn signal. I put the all-red Gama goat lenses on the rear. My truck is not OD or in original condition, so I am willing to add un original items. I was hoping for an older looking round set of lights
SOTVEN
SFC
SFC

Post by SOTVEN »

ZGjethro wrote:I have Hummvee signals up front and have rewired the rear tail lights to bottom turn signal. I put the all-red Gama goat lenses on the rear. My truck is not OD or in original condition, so I am willing to add un original items. I was hoping for an older looking round set of lights
I PUT SIDE DIRECTIONALS ON MY MIRRORS (NESESSARY WITH THE MOPED RIDERS IN GREECE BEFORE I WOULD RUN THEM ALL OVER) AND I GOT THOSE FROM A TRUCK PARTS STORE. (SEMI TRAILER TRUCK THAT IS) CHECK OUT SUCH STORES ON LINE. PERHAPS YOU MAY FIND THERE EXACLY WHAT YOU ARE LOOKING FOR, SINCE SEMI TRUCKS ARE THE "KINGS" OFAUXILIARY LIGHTS, AND MOST OF THEM ARE ALREADY 24V. GOOD LUCK :D
ZGjethro
SFC
SFC

Post by ZGjethro »

Thanks for the idea Sotven. I knew a lot of marine usages were 24v, but I did not know semi's were.
Brett
SSGT
SSGT

Post by Brett »

I think you may be off on the 24V semi's Sotven, at least in our neck of the world. I have heard that Prevost Busses are 24V, but I haven't confirmed that.

Brett
SOTVEN
SFC
SFC

Post by SOTVEN »

Brett wrote:I think you may be off on the 24V semi's Sotven, at least in our neck of the world. I have heard that Prevost Busses are 24V, but I haven't confirmed that.

Brett
INTERESTING, I DID NOT KNOW THAT HERE SEMI'S ARE NOT 24V. BACK IN EUROPE MOST OF THEM ARE. ANYHOW, I THINK THAT A LITTLE WEB SEARCH MIGHT NOT HURT. WHO KNOWS HE MIGHT FIND A LIGHT TO SUIT HIS NEED. :D
hbb
SSGT
SSGT

Post by hbb »

Most of over the road trucks are 24v systems and most of the full service truck stops carry lights of all shapes and configurations.

hb
The wiseman who listens to his students stays a wise MAN!
anthony manzella
SSGT
SSGT

Post by anthony manzella »

The Term FOG LIGHTS ! Have Been Miss Used, Fog Lights Are Amber/Orange-yellow. Not White as the White will bounce off the Fog makeing it extremly worse to drive in fog , The White Lights are for road use for a Better Field of Vission at Night From Left to Right If Properly Adjusted And used With Comon Sence For The On Comming Traffic. 8) .
Hit Duh Ground Runnin
ZGjethro
SFC
SFC

Post by ZGjethro »

You are right about the color. Essentially what I am looking for is a wide flood light as opposed to a pencil beam driving light. I want more light right around the vehicle, so I can see deer and objects at the side of the road better. Fog is not an issue where I live.
cuz
1SG
1SG

Post by cuz »

You can get those from a salvage yard. The Chevy pickups use them in the lower bumper area on each side and they light up the roadsides up close very well.
Wes K
wsknettl@centurytel.net

54 M37, 66 M101, 45MB, 51 M38, 60 CJ5, 46 T3-C
MVPA 22099

Disclaimer: Any data posted is for general info only and may not be M37 specific or meet with the approval of some esteemed gurus.
ZGjethro
SFC
SFC

Post by ZGjethro »

I found these on Ebay. They look pretty nice, and I can run them all the time. http://www.ebay.com.au:80/itm/ws/eBayIS ... TQ:AU:1123. The company, LEDadvantage, seems pretty good from what I have been able to see. I might get a pair and I will let you guys know how the lights are. Beware, there are some cheap chinese knockoffs which are listed for 3000-5000 hours instead of 50,000 hours.
Longhunter7
PFC
PFC

Post by Longhunter7 »

Gentlemen,

http://www.northerntool.com has 24 volt lights and they are good quality. They have stores in 14 states. Easy solution! :mrgreen:
Longhunter7

Northern Illinois

63' Dodge M37-B1

Molon Lave

NRA Certified Weaponologist