Discuss all non M37 related issues here

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

nivek
CPL
CPL

"Sliderule Universe"

Post by nivek »

http://www.sphere.bc.ca/test/sruniverse.html

I remember Dad's sliderule at home and on the job. Web page dedicated to the old tool's use.

Lots of fun as well as practical information on learning how to make one work.

kevinL
'52 M-37 "Old Blue" still in 11enty-bazillion parts
'52 M-37 "Rusty Red" parted
Lifer
1SG
1SG

Post by Lifer »

Interesting web site. I see that the 6" student slide rules like the one I had in junior high are still available. Unfortunately, today's science teachers provide the kids with calculators. They're okay, I guess, but the ol' slip-stick didn't need batteries! ;)
"PER ARDUA AD ITER"
Lifer
1SG
1SG

Post by Lifer »

I just had another thought. I remember going through junior and senior high school with a plastic pocket protector in my shirt pocket. It always had a fountain pen (ball-points were banned), a mechanical pencil, a #2 pencil, a #3 pencil, a six-inch ruler, and my slip-stick in it. Yes...my eyeglasses were often held together with white adhesive tiape. I must have been a sight to behold! Pure geek! :oops:
"PER ARDUA AD ITER"
greencom
SGT
SGT

Geeks

Post by greencom »

Nothin wrong with geeks Lifer, wouldn't have M37's or anything else for that matter without them.
Greencom
kc8sfq
PVT
PVT

slipsticks

Post by kc8sfq »

Kelley Johnson and his crew at the skunkworks designed the SR-71 with slipsticks when our trucks were still the state of the art in ground tactical transport. I still have my 12 inch pickett. Still wish I could figure it out.
No society in history has ever taxed it's way to prosperity.
Reddman
PVT
PVT

Sliderules and Variations

Post by Reddman »

I also am of the "sliderule" generation 8) . Yes, still have it and a special variation I used sr year of HS and into college ... a circular sliderule. Fit into a vinyl cover with "Physics is Phun" on the front, also fit into a shirt pocket unlike our full-size originals, and was a great help in the pre-calculator era. Still remember putting "powder" on the slide to make it move smooth and easy. Both original and circular are still with the original cases ... we must preserve our past or it will be forgotten (like our M37's) :wink: , My son and now grandson find them "interesting" and my son (25) even took the time to learn how to use one as a sr in HS. Now a grad student @ MS State University in Archaeology/Anthropology, he dug it out over the holidays to see if he remembered how to use it. Good memories of that era, thanks for encouraging them to the surface of my mind. :!:
Reddman
1954 M37
Military Police Reproduction
Circa 1970 Vietnam Era
On-Base Enforcement
"Cage-Kicker"
jbxx
SGT
SGT

Post by jbxx »

I still have mine, a 12" ivory faced beauty.
When I was at University we had the generation 1
calculators $350 for something I can get for $5 now.
I also have a circular one but it also has to intersecting slides
it's called a smith chart, still haven't figured out all the nuances
on that one.
J.B.
N1VSM
SSGT
SSGT

Calculators

Post by N1VSM »

Lifer wrote:Interesting web site. I see that the 6" student slide rules like the one I had in junior high are still available. Unfortunately, today's science teachers provide the kids with calculators. They're okay, I guess, but the ol' slip-stick didn't need batteries! ;)
One of the first things I told my students is that they had enrolled in the "Betty Ford Calculator Clinic" When learning calculus based physics in high school, you quickly learn that your calculator - no matter how fancy it may be - is useless (except for a doorstop, or perhaps beating yourself senseless). :wink:
You can trust your mother, but you can't trust your ground.
Lifer
1SG
1SG

Post by Lifer »

N1VSM...I now have a scientific calculator that my college algebra professor recommended we use in her class. It should be up to the task. Now, if I could just figure out how to use it......! All I've figured out so far is how to add, subtract, multiply, divide, do percentages, and squares/square roots. The SIN, COS, TAN, EE, LOG, and LN buttons are still Greek to me! :(
"PER ARDUA AD ITER"
N1VSM
SSGT
SSGT

Not if ...

Post by N1VSM »

But - can you calculator do integrals over 4 dimentions or do partial derrivatives? Mine either. Makes me think of this:

BTW, I believe Reddman misspelled Physics. "Fiz6" is now the accepted spelling, in accordance with the law passed in the scientific community to further conservation of the alphabet. :roll:
You can trust your mother, but you can't trust your ground.
SOTVEN
SFC
SFC

Post by SOTVEN »

Lifer wrote:N1VSM...I now have a scientific calculator that my college algebra professor recommended we use in her class. It should be up to the task. Now, if I could just figure out how to use it......! All I've figured out so far is how to add, subtract, multiply, divide, do percentages, and squares/square roots. The SIN, COS, TAN, EE, LOG, and LN buttons are still Greek to me! :(
My scientific calculator I had through college, had all those buttons too. I am Greek, and trust me they were still Greek to me too lol. :lol:
LIFE IS SHORT AND ENDS UNEXPECTEDLY. MAKE EVERY MOMENT WORTH REMEMBERING.
Josh
SFC
SFC

Post by Josh »

I must not be a 100% true engineer... I can use one to basic stuff, but most of what I can do on one I can also do in my head, so that probably doesnt count really...
DaveO
PFC
PFC

Post by DaveO »

Ha! I was a C-130 navigator up until recently. I still used the ol' E6B whiz wheel for something other than a spatula to get my mini-pizza out of the oven. Most of the kids who worked for me thought I was some kind of wierd old man (I'm 40, but as those of you that have service time know, that's over the hill and into the pasture beyond). They thought I was really nuts when I'd haul the periscopic sextant out.

I begin teaching at the Nav school this spring. I'll be pushing to reinstate the E6B into the cirriculum as I believe using it forces you to understand the problem you are trying to solve.

I have my dad's and grandad's slipsticks. One of these days I'll figure out how to use them.

Cheers!
Dave Ostlund
1941 WC9
1952 M37 W/W
1953 M38A1
M116
RTFB
Lifer
1SG
1SG

Post by Lifer »

Understanding the problem has always been the key to solving it. I'm all for using any tool that will bring enlightenment into the picture. By all means...reintroduce the "whiz wheel."
"PER ARDUA AD ITER"
DaveO
PFC
PFC

Post by DaveO »

You know I will, Lifer. I've got 16 months left until retirement, and nothing to lose by being a pain in the butt until I get my way!
Dave Ostlund
1941 WC9
1952 M37 W/W
1953 M38A1
M116
RTFB