Change of plans, AGAIN!

Talk about your truck here

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

Josh
SFC
SFC

Re: Change of plans, AGAIN!

Post by Josh »

Joe, I considered that ,but, then I would have to go find a new backing plate, flywheel, starter, etc. The stuff is all specific. contrary to popular belief, there are several different starters, flywheels, and adapter plates for the B series cummins, and they dont mix and match, it is all very specific combinations.
Juan
SGT
SGT

Post by Juan »

That's exactly what I was going to tell you to use.
The ZF5s is the same trasnmission I have in my bench right now to mount behind the 6.2 in my truck (plus a freshly rebuild 6.5TD that's next to the bench in a stand). I'm saving now for the married t/case. (not sure if Stack 3 speed o Adv. adapters 4 speed)
It's a great transmission and a lot more user friendly than the 3053A I currently have, I can't wait to get rid of the 3053A and the divorced t/case.

Now, what a change of route man.
But the 4BT is like 100hp and your earlier plans targeted at 800hp, Are you sure? It's a whole different animal you are building now
Juan Castro
Buenos Aires
Argentina
Josh
SFC
SFC

Post by Josh »

Juan,

It basically comes down to efficiency and reliability. I knew it would get a diesel some day, but, I also didnt plan on gas spiking ot 4+ dollars a gallon for a few more years. I figure I could run the gasser for a few years, beat it till it ate something important, then swap in a cummins, but, gas got very expensive (or, will so soon) and, I got a smokin deal on the Cummins. I only paid 1200 bucks for the complete enigne with accessories, starter, bellhousing, and clutch.

reliability is also a big thing, as, I want to take this beast on some realitively long cruises, and, having to pull the V8 to fix it all the time, especially on the side of the road would be uncceptable.
Juan
SGT
SGT

Post by Juan »

I know what you mean, down here we've been paying $1 per quart for years now, it hurts a lot. HaHa
Diesel is somewhat cheaper at $0.80 per quart though.

Good catch on that engine, It surely beats the twin turbo (twin supercharged or not) V8 in reliability and economy.

Smart choice the ZF against the NV4500, I've installed a couple of those NVs in a pair of trucks and that freaking 5th gear nut and it's damper is a nightmare, plus the fact that the special oil it needs costs $21 per quart and is not available everywhere.
Juan Castro
Buenos Aires
Argentina
Josh
SFC
SFC

Post by Josh »

Well, the swap is underway. I started tearing the v8 out, will have it completely out in the next day or two. Got the new diesel drivetrain bolted together, everything fits together as it should. I put a more aggressive fueling pin in the diesel, as well as a 3200 rpm governor spring. I also ditched the stock 4 bt exhaust manifold in favor on a 6bt manifold chopped down and welded up. The 6 cylinder manifold fits much better in that it mounts the turbo up higher and centers it front to back on the engine to give me room to run a downpipe out the back of the turbine without having to hack up the firewall. Initial measurements show that the diesel is going to fit very nicely in the truck.
Master Yota
MSGT
MSGT

Post by Master Yota »

What? No pictures?

Gotta' change your signature pic too... :P
Ray
1953 CDN. M37
1954 CDN. M152
Tanner
SGT
SGT

Post by Tanner »

http://www.garbee.net/~cabell/photos1.htm

4BT swap into M37, stock exhaust manifold, no firewall hacking... ZF 5-speed trans...

'Tanner'
Josh
SFC
SFC

Post by Josh »

got the new drivetrain all cleaned up, pulled the V8 out along with its drivetrain, and am getting set to start sticking the cummins in. here is a short video of it idling, I needed to make a few adjustments to the pump, so it is idling a bit slow in the video:

Drilled the adapter between the trans and transfer case with a new position to angle the transfer case downward, hopefully it will be enough tilt, can't go any further:

got the 6 cylinder manifold on, chopped doww to 4 cylinders, with the HX35 snail, stage 2 fuel pin, and stiffer governor spring. Paint needs to be touched up, chipped it in several spots getting it running:

Drilled the adapter on the back for a speed sensor. going to use a dakota digital DSL-1 tach signal generator. I know the sensor is in crooked, did it on purpose so that it was pointed radially at the ring gear center. There are 156 teeth on the Ford cummins flywheel, just an FYI

And, the old drivetrain out:

T. Highway

Post by T. Highway »

Josh, That 4BT engine sounds good and is idling about right.
1952 M37 W/W Rebuild @ 59% complete
Engine rebuild @ 95% complete
1985 M1009, 1990 M101A2, 2008 M116A3 Pioneer tool trailer
MVPA # 24265
NRA Life Member
NRA Cert. Personal Protection Pistol Instructor
NRA Cert. RSO
Class III RSO/KCR
Josh
SFC
SFC

Post by Josh »

Well, sent my liscense plate application in for a hobbyist plate, since my truck is heavily modified, that I would think is the class it would fall under. We'll see if they accept it or not. :roll:
Josh
SFC
SFC

Post by Josh »

Diesel is in, sort of. It’s sitting in the truck, not bolted down yet. Fits excellent. The only fitment issue I had was trying to lower it into the truck with such a long drive train behind it, and such a deep oil pan. It holds 10 quarts, so the pan on it is very deep, and was hard to slip past the cross member in the front. I’ll confess, I scratched the paint on it making it fit… :mrgreen: The amazing part is the ENTIRE engine is behind the front axle centerline, meaning that technically, it is mid-engined, like all the great sportscars ever built!

I had to pull the transfer case off. The angle I drilled the plate for was not steep enough, which I had anticipated, but, what I had not planned on was where it would hit the floor. It hit right at the steat box wall, so, I had no choice but to yank it off and redrill the adapter plate with a steeper angle. The good news is that the new angle holds the bottom of the case flat, so I now think that I had the case angled at the original intended angle. It was almost horizontal before.

If you tried, you could fit a 6 cylinder in with no real issues I think. I’m glad I used the 4 cylinder though, a 6 would be even heavier and ruin my sports car like engine position. It also leaves me about 6” of room between the radiator and front drive, so I can scoot the radiator back some and make room for an air to air intercooler.

Engine mounts will be easy, it almost lines up with the V8 mounts I had before. I need to space them up and back about 2:, so I will get a couple of blocks of steel, burn them to the diesel mounts, and set the rubber pads right where the V8 mounts were. Not sure on the transmission mount, we’ll see once I get the transfer case in there. I have a sneaking suspicion that the current mount and the new front driveshaft will want to have the same hunk of space... :roll:

And, just a reminder of how big a girl she is. That’s a 7’2” door that she is NOT going to fit out of with the top on…

Josh
SFC
SFC

Post by Josh »

Enigne is sitting on mounts in the frame. Fits perfect, couldnt ask for it to fit any better. Working on the transmission mount now. I boxed the backside of the mount, but left the front side open, and welded a strut rod in at the top to keep the mounts nice and open to make it easy to get the bolts out of them in the even it needs service.

Josh
SFC
SFC

Post by Josh »

the beast LIVES!!!!

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Idle is set high to make it easier to start the first time. Apparently, I didnt need it!

Transmission mount: the engine does lean slightly to the passenger's side. Did it on purpose so that it matches the profile fo the floor better on the transfer case and lets me mount it higher in the frame to give me more ground clearance:

ground cleanrance:

Intercooler setup. My daily drive is a 2005 Audi TT Quattro 225HP model. It provided the inspiration to do dual side mount intercoolers. The intercoolers are from Ford Thunderbird Turbocoupes. I put 1100 CFM fans on each one pulling the air out of the coolers.

And, the new floorpan mocked up. Still have a ton of work to do but, it runs, and, once I bleed the clutch and get the rear driveshaft in, it will move!

and, last, but not least... how to remove a bolt when you cant reach both sides, lol

Josh
SFC
SFC

Post by Josh »

Drove it last night for the first time in over 8 years. Was fantastic! :D Was only up and down my alleyway, as the driver's door doesnt shut yet (no latch in it) I didnt have a transmission cover, no liscense plate, windshield, or throttle (pulled the injection pump lever with a piece of string) but it was still fantastic! The beast is going to have plenty of power. I goosed it in 3rd gear and it laid me back in the seat. :D
k8icu
1SG
1SG

Post by k8icu »

Congrats! What no video? :lol:
M37s are HMMWV in my world!