To modify or not?

Talk about your truck here

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

MSeriesRebuild
1SG
1SG

Re: To modify or not?

Post by MSeriesRebuild »

Components to upgrade the 230 are readily available, high energy ignition, dual carb manifold, carbs, headers, etc are not that costly, and way easier to do than an engine swap. I personally would only add this stuff on a newly rebuilt 230. It would be fine on a known healthy engine, but knowing enough to trust it would be next to impossible.

I wouldn't call it hot rodding at all, in fact that would not be something of interest to me in the slightest way; it is simply some worthwhile upgrades for someone who prefers to keep the 230.

If I were seeking to go to the hot rod catagory, it would be Cummins diesel, that's the only way to fly when looking in that direction.
Charles Talbert
www.mseriesrebuild.com
Master Yota
MSGT
MSGT

Post by Master Yota »

MSeriesRebuild wrote:.

If I were seeking to go to the hot rod catagory, it would be Cummins diesel, that's the only way to fly when looking in that direction.
No, its not.

But I won't start another diatribe here about that issue. As for further upgrades like brakes and power steering, while I do recommend them if your planning an engine swap and are thinking of cruising around at 60mph all the time, its not necessarily the first item at the top of the list. Manual steering works just fine at highway speeds, so power isn't terribly crucial. The stock drums, while not nearly as effective as disc's, worked just fine for several generations of cars and trucks that were capable of 60+ mph. I would make sure they are in good working order however.

Engine swaps in these trucks are not difficult if you've some tools, experience and a little fore-thought in the planning stages. These trucks (M series) can be quite a pleasure to modify.
Ray
1953 CDN. M37
1954 CDN. M152
MSeriesRebuild
1SG
1SG

Post by MSeriesRebuild »

I'm not looking for another diatribe either; however you have my sympathy, as you are just uninformed about good (the best) equipment. My honest opinion though; I really couldn't care less what you do. Put you a mast in the bed and raise sails if you like; Al Gore will likely give you some free promotion.
Charles Talbert
www.mseriesrebuild.com
rwkehler
PVT
PVT

Post by rwkehler »

Like I said I'll run it like it is for now, just trying to a few thoughts on the subject.
I know about drum brakes I have a 70 Chevy 1/2 ton with a rebuilt 355 cid 350 hp drum brakes work fine until they get too hot or too wet .
I'v had to stop from 180 kph (110 mph) in a hurry before , a little scary! :|
I know i have to rebuild all the brake components.
Where I live ( Winnipeg, Mb. Canada) unlike the states we have Goverment safety regulations . so everything has to be working up to prime before i can drive.

listen, you guys have been really helpful I'll most likely be cruzin this forum for more info on a regular basis.
Thanks again.
R
Master Yota
MSGT
MSGT

Post by Master Yota »

MSeriesRebuild wrote:I'm not looking for another diatribe either; however you have my sympathy, as you are just uninformed about good (the best) equipment. My honest opinion though; I really couldn't care less what you do. Put you a mast in the bed and raise sails if you like; Al Gore will likely give you some free promotion.
Stuff it Charles. I'll drive circles around your Cummin's any day I want to. IF the cummins was the best thing going out there, the big three would be marketing them as such. As they are not, the only person thats misinformed is you. I have about as much use for Al Gore as I do for you - as far as I care the two of you can sail off together, content in your lunacy and crackpot theories. I can show you were to stick the mast if you need help figuring it out.
Ray
1953 CDN. M37
1954 CDN. M152
MSeriesRebuild
1SG
1SG

Post by MSeriesRebuild »

The big 3 does not market quality as best they can offer. They market what they can build cheap and sell high. In general at least 2 of the big 3 basically do what they are told from Washington, DC.

Yes I'm very aware you have no use for me, I can challenge you.
Charles Talbert
www.mseriesrebuild.com
rwkehler
PVT
PVT

Post by rwkehler »

Excuse me gentlemen,
This is not! the lets bash others forum . every one has a right to their own opinion
thats what the brave men and women fought for on both your side and mine .
Lets respect that and each other.
Thanks
Richard
MSeriesRebuild
1SG
1SG

Post by MSeriesRebuild »

rwkehler wrote:Excuse me gentlemen,
This is not! the lets bash others forum . every one has a right to their own opinion
thats what the brave men and women fought for on both your side and mine .
Lets respect that and each other.
Thanks
Richard
Richard, I tend to agree. Please check back a few post and see who sparked this one if you care too; however that really doesn't matter. It seems Mr Yota has a real issue with the fact that we have had good luck with diesels. I really can't figure why that matters so much and why he feels it's somehow wrong for me to boast a good product. I don't have a problem with the fact that he likes Chevs, to each his own. You have never heard me say I can run circles around his trucks that I recall; this sounds like a statement from a 10 year old, and actually the statement is a myth because he knows no such thing in reality. Stuff like that matters not to me. What we have done with building trucks is posted on our site for all to see; anyone that wishes not to look doesn't have too.

You don't like reading this junk; I'm right there with you. What I don't understand is why anyone can't add a post to a discussion without someone coming back with a smart *** remark in reply. I simply said that if I were going to look at hot rodding a truck, Cummins would be my engine of choice. I was not suggesting that the whole world would be forced to do the same. My opinion is simply that, I have no problem with what yota or anyone else may want to install.

I do make an attempt not to let things escalate to an undesirable level, I'm sure I do need to try harder in that area. It does however get old when it's always the same ones at the front of the line when it comes to pushing a little too far. I also know I too have been responsible for that in the past, so I'm not the pot trying to call the kettle black here. No I'm not perfect in any area, Richard and all, please accept my apology here. I'll still defend my statements when they can be backed by fact, however I'll try still harder to ignore the things I should.

Maybe I should just ignore this one also, but it has really peaked my curiousity. Yota seams to have a passionate hatred for Cummins diesel yet he has just this morning requested Josh post pictures of his installation on that thread since he has changed from the V8 and decided to do a Cummins install. What's the deal Yota, I guess the Cummins we do here are the only ones that aren't superior to some other engine choices; or could it be that I'm not as free with posting up pictures and passing along info on how we do things that may be playing a part. Couldn't help but wonder.
Charles Talbert
www.mseriesrebuild.com
rwkehler
PVT
PVT

Post by rwkehler »

Well! that being said and well said. I say enough said on that subject.

Now for the next query, 12 volt vs 24 volt? and how hard is it to change?
...and let the carnage ..er i mean discussion begin...
MSeriesRebuild
1SG
1SG

Post by MSeriesRebuild »

That would largely depend on your engine choice. If you decide on a common gasser; it will likely already have 12-volt accessories on it. If that is the case, converting what is left to 12 is rather simple.
Charles Talbert
www.mseriesrebuild.com
rwkehler
PVT
PVT

Post by rwkehler »

Hi Charles,
when the time comes i think I'm going with what is readily available ie the jeep 4.0L hence 12 v.
I know it needs wipers so electric is going to be the replacement.
as well as the fact that 12 volt accessories are much easier to get up here.
so how simple is it? aside from changing regulator and..
R
MSeriesRebuild
1SG
1SG

Post by MSeriesRebuild »

rwkehler wrote:Hi Charles,
when the time comes i think I'm going with what is readily available ie the jeep 4.0L hence 12 v.
R
Assuming your engine will have a starter and alternator, that is covered. I would suggest using an internally regulated alternator so I didn't have to remote mount one, but that is your call. Wipers you have considered; that leaves gauges and sending units that will need to be changed out to 12 volt ones, originals only work with 24-volts. If your lighting is currently good, all you'll need to do there is change the bulbs out to 12-volt compatible ones. That should do it unless you desire to add further accessories of some sort. If the wiring is good, it will work fine on 12-volts, if it is questionable, I would certainly build a new harness for it. All the original switches will work fine with 12-volts also.
Charles Talbert
www.mseriesrebuild.com
M37UK
SSGT
SSGT

Post by M37UK »

MSeriesRebuild wrote:
R
Assuming your engine will have a starter and alternator, that is covered. I would suggest using an internally regulated alternator so I didn't have to remote mount one, but that is your call. Wipers you have considered; that leaves gauges and sending units that will need to be changed out to 12 volt ones, originals only work with 24-volts. If your lighting is currently good, all you'll need to do there is change the bulbs out to 12-volt compatible ones. That should do it unless you desire to add further accessories of some sort. If the wiring is good, it will work fine on 12-volts, if it is questionable, I would certainly build a new harness for it. All the original switches will work fine with 12-volts also.
Ok, a little of topic perhaps but how easy would it be the fit the 4.0l jeep engine into the M37?
These engines are fairly easily obtainable over here in the UK also.

Cheers
Stu

1952 Dodge M37 with 1952 M101 Trailer
MVT UK
SMVG Scotland
SOTVEN
SFC
SFC

Post by SOTVEN »

M37UK wrote:
MSeriesRebuild wrote:
R
Ok, a little of topic perhaps but how easy would it be the fit the 4.0l jeep engine into the M37?
These engines are fairly easily obtainable over here in the UK also.

Cheers
THE STOCK 230 IS 3.8 L, SO THE DIMENTIONS SHOULD NOT BE ALL THAT OFF. HOWEVER MY MAJOR CONCERN PERSONALLY WOULD BE TO WIRE ALL THE CPU AND FUEL INJECTION. PLUS IT WOULD HAVE TO BE 12V FOR SURE NOW, OR AT LEAST DUAL CIRCUIT 24/12 V.
LIFE IS SHORT AND ENDS UNEXPECTEDLY. MAKE EVERY MOMENT WORTH REMEMBERING.
retiredguy
SGT
SGT

Post by retiredguy »

I have to put in my 2 cents here. If and when you build any engine, spend the extra 200.00 or so and get it balanced. Unbalanced stock type engines can and will throw rods at high rpm. If you want to drive faster you have to spin the engine faster...... nuff said.
Don't procrasinate! Do it now!