Engine color

Talk about your truck here

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

Kaegi
SFC
SFC

Engine color

Post by Kaegi »

I am going to rebuild 1953 T245 and want to know the correct factory engine color. I have been rebuilding these flatheads for years but never T245. All T214s and T137s or straight 8s and such. I might sell it when done if anyone is interested. it will be hot tanked, bored, balanced, shave head, my own special cam grind, ported, and will come with a written warranty.
Lifer
1SG
1SG

Re: Engine color

Post by Lifer »

This question has been asked and answered many times.

The engines were painted Chrysler silver at the factory.

After that, they got repainted per whatever military regulations required at the time they went to depot for maintenance. In the case of the Army, this was usually OD. The Air Force specified gray in the 1958 edition of their T.O. The Navy and Marine Corps probably had similar directives, so a little research may be required to find the correct color for the period your vehicle represents.
"PER ARDUA AD ITER"
Kaegi
SFC
SFC

Re: Engine color

Post by Kaegi »

this is my first time back to this forum in a couple years. I had problems registering for some reason adn got it handled now. I have seen lots of OD engines in M37s but cantrecall any silver. I prefer silver or the WW2 smoke gray color. I think I will leave it up to whoever buys it if I sell. thanks for the input.