Cost of power steering conversion?

Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

Deucalion
PVT
PVT

Cost of power steering conversion?

Post by Deucalion »

New to the site since I will be acquiring an M37 that used to be one of the brush trucks in my town and I was wondering what the total cost has been to do the power steering upgrade for some of you folks?
Tom @ Snake River
SSGT
SSGT

Re: Cost of power steering conversion?

Post by Tom @ Snake River »

Check my website at www.snakeriver4x4.com and study the power steering tab.
I believe it runs around $600.00 or so depending on what options you want. That would be with you buying the ps pump and v-belt on your end.
You might save some money my finding a ps box on your end.
Or Charles at M-Series Rebuild might have a differant idea on a bracket.
www.snakeriver4x4.com
M-37's - WC-51 - M-29C - WC-25 cc - CCKW
M-274 - M-101 - G-527 Water Buffalo
G-7117 Chevy
SOTVEN
SFC
SFC

Post by SOTVEN »

WELCOME ONBOARD :) !!! IS IT "DEUCALION" FROM THE ANCIENT GREEK NAME? GOOD LUCK WITH THE TRUCK YOU ARE GETTING, AND IN MY OPINION, THE POWER STEERING IS THE MOST NECESSARY UPGRADE IN THESE VEHICLES, TO MAKE THEM "USER FRIENDLY." I LIVE IN SHREWSBURY, OUTSIDE WORCESTER. ARE YOU ANYWHERE NEAR?
LIFE IS SHORT AND ENDS UNEXPECTEDLY. MAKE EVERY MOMENT WORTH REMEMBERING.
Deucalion
PVT
PVT

Post by Deucalion »

It is the same Deucalion son of Prometheus and also comes from Dean Koontz's Frankenstein novels. I named my dog Deucalion hence the screenname. I actually live in Western Mass around the Deerfield/Northampton area. I'm hoping to fix up/upgrade the truck to bring with me when I get around to moving to the USVI to do massage work. I've wanted an M37 since my father sold his almost 15 years ago and I was lucky enough to find this one forgotten by my town, the body is clean with little to no rust from what I can tell, very exciting find!
SOTVEN
SFC
SFC

Post by SOTVEN »

M37 ARE WAY COOL!!! AND IF CERTAIN UPGRADES AND DECENT MAINTENANCE ARE APPLIED, I FOUND IN MY OPINION ARE NICE TRUCKS TO DRIVE AROUND. KEEP US POSTED WITH YOUR UPCOMING PURCHASE :D
Deucalion
PVT
PVT

Post by Deucalion »

Here's a picture of the beast as it sits now. That armor on the front actually goes back along the fenders and running boards :mrgreen:
Attachments
M37.jpg
M37.jpg (60.17 KiB) Viewed 2419 times
Josh
SFC
SFC

Post by Josh »

welcome to the board. I did my PS system for about $300, but, I made several parts myself, and rebuilt all the components myself with parts store rebuild kits. Take your time, and pay attention to what you're doing and you can rebuild the box and pump quite easily. Any heaxy truck shop in your area should be able to custom make high pressure lines for you for around $50.
SOTVEN
SFC
SFC

Post by SOTVEN »

VERY COOL LOOKING TRUCK DEUCALION!!! I CAN ALREADY PICTURE A "MAD MAX" THEME VEHICLE WITH THAT FRONT ARMOR, A COOL LOKING ROLL BAR AND SOME NICE TIRES. I WISH YOU WILL GET THIS TRUCK. DO YOU KNOW IF IT IS IN RUNNING ORDER? :D
Deucalion
PVT
PVT

Post by Deucalion »

Should run fine once the batteries get put back in and some fresh fuel gets flowing through. Found some tires and rims that were 44x16 that would fit and make it a true beast! First order of business is strip the paint and any rust off it and get a new paint job.
SOTVEN
SFC
SFC

Post by SOTVEN »

Deucalion wrote:Should run fine once the batteries get put back in and some fresh fuel gets flowing through. Found some tires and rims that were 44x16 that would fit and make it a true beast! First order of business is strip the paint and any rust off it and get a new paint job.
YEP, I THINK YOU ARE HEADING THE RIGHT DIRECTION :D
M37UK
SSGT
SSGT

Post by M37UK »

SOTVEN wrote:VERY COOL LOOKING TRUCK DEUCALION!!! I CAN ALREADY PICTURE A "MAD MAX" THEME VEHICLE WITH THAT FRONT ARMOR, A COOL LOKING ROLL BAR AND SOME NICE TIRES. I WISH YOU WILL GET THIS TRUCK. DO YOU KNOW IF IT IS IN RUNNING ORDER? :D
:D LOL :D MAD MAX is exactly what came to my mind first too !!

Welcome to the Forum of Fun Deucalion !
Stu

1952 Dodge M37 with 1952 M101 Trailer
MVT UK
SMVG Scotland
powerwagon
Location: Maryland via Arkansas, yeah I commute back and forth.

Post by powerwagon »

I am new on here but I am a little confused about power steering on a M-37? I grew up driving a lot of old military surplus equipment and it had no power steering or power brakes and for me if I owned a M-37 it would have armstrong steering. I mean what is the purpose of having it any other way? If you are using it as it was intended to be used in various environments and terrains they will work well but you do have to saw on that wheel.

If I want a modern piece of equipment I'll get me a humvee and enjoy more modern applications of powersteering, brakes and an automatic transmission and run flat tires. Each to there own and I meant no disrespect on the subject just seemed odd that is all.
"You know you're in trouble when the first person to get to you after a wreck is carrying a beer"
- NASCAR driver, Jimmy Horton Talladega 1993.
Master Yota
MSGT
MSGT

Post by Master Yota »

powerwagon wrote:I am new on here but I am a little confused about power steering on a M-37? I grew up driving a lot of old military surplus equipment and it had no power steering or power brakes and for me if I owned a M-37 it would have armstrong steering. I mean what is the purpose of having it any other way? If you are using it as it was intended to be used in various environments and terrains they will work well but you do have to saw on that wheel.

If I want a modern piece of equipment I'll get me a humvee and enjoy more modern applications of powersteering, brakes and an automatic transmission and run flat tires. Each to there own and I meant no disrespect on the subject just seemed odd that is all.
Ever been in ruts with manual steering that you wanted to get out of? Passengers get tired awful quick of the drivers feet being braced on the passenger door while they heave-to on the wheel trying to saw the tires back and forth... Manual steering is fine on cars with little tires that can be sawed back and forth. Big heavy trucks, with big rubber need power steering, especially if they are going to be used in challenging terrain. Manual steering is marginally acceptable for street or parade useage, provide you don't need to parallel park the truck several times per day. Just my opinion...

Don't get me started on the dismal, pathetic, and un-inspiring perfomance of the humvee... :P
Ray
1953 CDN. M37
1954 CDN. M152
Josh
SFC
SFC

Post by Josh »

ever get your thumb caught in the wheel's spoke whenyou hit a bump or rut off road and the wheel suddenly makes a couple of revolutions?

It sucks.

Almost sprained my thumb that way. Vowed it would have powered steering after that experience.

And yes, the Humvee leaves a lot to be desired, we can all agree on that!
powerwagon
Location: Maryland via Arkansas, yeah I commute back and forth.

Post by powerwagon »

I started driving the M-37 when I was 11 years old and I am now 44. So I would agree that powersteering would ease certain aspects of the ride and driving experience. But being a nostalgic type with regards to the M-37 platform. I still find it odd how men before us drove those rascals without the modern advancement of power steering. And about getting my knuckles caught in the wheel coming out of a turn, yep had it happen a few times on this 1952 Euclid bottom dump.

I used the superior performance of the Humvee as point of more modern equipment and in no way wanted to imply that we can even go parallel with workmanship of the two vehicles. Humvee was a clear lack of judgment from a acquisition point to field a vehicle to replace the jeep. Although in my opinion bells and whistles came before practicality of long term operational use. Cradle to grave concept lack of horsepower and versatility and the Army and Marines wanted a low budget M-37 replacement that was a total dud. As if my opinion matters since I was a sailor and blew stuff up for a living..... :roll:

But I am intrigued by the modern things like heat and power steering and even different motor options/trnasmission and transfer cases that are available these days. I believe that M-37's weren't made to be crawlers but heavy duty 4X4's with decent handling over various terrains.

:mrgreen:
Attachments
BR 1994-1.jpg
BR 1994-1.jpg (47.71 KiB) Viewed 2257 times
Uke-2.jpg
Uke-2.jpg (139.21 KiB) Viewed 2257 times
"You know you're in trouble when the first person to get to you after a wreck is carrying a beer"
- NASCAR driver, Jimmy Horton Talladega 1993.