M37 Brakes

Talk about your truck here

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

N1VSM
SSGT
SSGT

Re: M37 Brakes

Post by N1VSM »

If you are replacing the M/C, you might want to consider switching to a dual-chamber M/C. There was a good article on this mod. in MVM many moons ago. You can also search this forum for more info, or just ask.
You can trust your mother, but you can't trust your ground.
MSeriesRebuild
1SG
1SG

Post by MSeriesRebuild »

cuz wrote:Your $75 is one HUVA deal since I found all other listings asking $95 to $200 for the F544, But I only found a couple that actually said made by Wagner! The suggested retail was over $300.

Wagner F544 Brake Master Cylinder
Model: F544
Manufacturer: Wagner
Price: Retail Price: $303.99
Our Price: $199.99
http://www.autoplusparts.com/index.php? ... gp0dv6rom5
MASTER CYLINDER, DODGE M37 F544, 1269447
Item# F544
$95.00
Product Description
Master cylinder for M37 3/4 ton trucks.
http://store.midwestjeepwillys.com/1269447.html
The photo of this one looks like a repop.
Since we are not really a parts vendor, we don't mark up our prices like most military vendors do. We stock stuff for our own use on our rebuilds and service work. Our customers buy at the same prices I offer on here just to give anyone a break that wants to take advantage of it. Another well kept secret is this, most military parts and components come from the same wholesaler, some of these guys make a nice chunk of change on items don't they?
Charles Talbert
www.mseriesrebuild.com
Bushi
PVT
PVT

Post by Bushi »

N1VSM wrote:If you are replacing the M/C, you might want to consider switching to a dual-chamber M/C. There was a good article on this mod. in MVM many moons ago. You can also search this forum for more info, or just ask.

You may be thinking of Ugly Trucking's write up.

http://www.uglytruckling.com/M37%20Truc ... manual.htm
MSeriesRebuild
1SG
1SG

Post by MSeriesRebuild »

Bushi wrote:
N1VSM wrote:If you are replacing the M/C, you might want to consider switching to a dual-chamber M/C. There was a good article on this mod. in MVM many moons ago. You can also search this forum for more info, or just ask.

This is a good system, but don't go by ugly trucklings instructions to install it. If you do, your holes through the frame rail for line passage will be at the wrong place.
Charles Talbert
www.mseriesrebuild.com
slk
PFC
PFC

Post by slk »

Ok thanks to mseriesrebuild I have been working on adjusting my brakes the right way which I was not doing. I was doing the Minor way and not giving consideration to the lower adjustments as described in the Major way. I have the front 2 wheels done and will do the rears tomorrow and report what progress I have.

This is not an easy thing to do. It is not complicated, but very time consuming going back and forth from top to bottom, and front to back. I am thinking this would not be a bad job if it were all new. With wear on the shoes you just have to adjust them as close as you can watching through the inspection hole.

Steve
Bushi
PVT
PVT

Post by Bushi »

MSeriesRebuild wrote:
Bushi wrote:

This is a good system, but don't go by ugly trucklings instructions to install it. If you do, your holes through the frame rail for line passage will be at the wrong place.
Where would be the right place? I'm going to upgrade mine soon and would like to do it right.
cuz
1SG
1SG

Post by cuz »

Since we are not really a parts vendor, we don't mark up our prices like most military vendors do. We stock stuff for our own use on our rebuilds and service work. Our customers buy at the same prices I offer on here just to give anyone a break that wants to take advantage of it. Another well kept secret is this, most military parts and components come from the same wholesaler, some of these guys make a nice chunk of change on items don't they?
Then your cylinders are the same "made in USA by Wagner-Lockheed" cylinders as the suggested $303.99 List Wagners?
Wes K
wsknettl@centurytel.net

54 M37, 66 M101, 45MB, 51 M38, 60 CJ5, 46 T3-C
MVPA 22099

Disclaimer: Any data posted is for general info only and may not be M37 specific or meet with the approval of some esteemed gurus.
vtdeucedriver
SFC
SFC

Post by vtdeucedriver »

cuz wrote:
Then your cylinders are the same "made in USA by Wagner-Lockheed" cylinders as the suggested $303.99 List Wagners?
Who still sells wagners????? I am still sitting on some NOS ones and plenty that can be rebuilt! I will not put that offshore stuff on it. I put one on my M151 and its given me problems ever since!!!
Green Mountain Military Vehicle Club Army Transportation Association Vietnam

http://linehaulrvn.tripod.com
1951 M37
1954 M37
1953 M62
1967 M54A1C
1968 M54A2C
1968 M52A2
1966 M151A1
cuz
1SG
1SG

Post by cuz »

The link I posted above sells Wagners for $199.00.
Wagner F544 Brake Master Cylinder
Model: F544
Manufacturer: Wagner
Price: Retail Price: $303.99
Our Price: $199.99
http://www.autoplusparts.com/index.php? ... gp0dv6rom5
Wes K
wsknettl@centurytel.net

MVPA 22099

Disclaimer: Any data posted is for general info only and may not be M37 specific or meet with the approval of some esteemed gurus.
N1VSM
SSGT
SSGT

Post by N1VSM »

Bushi wrote:Where would be the right place? I'm going to upgrade mine soon and would like to do it right.
I think Charles means that the hole spacing is off. Use your new M/C to determine where the holes should go. Ask questions as you go - there are many of us who have made this mod.
You can trust your mother, but you can't trust your ground.
JGPierce
PVT
PVT

Post by JGPierce »

The MVM article about the dual MC upgrade was by Michael Sullivan in the April 2006 issue.
A Bendix #1584 dual MC from a 1980 Chevy C30 one-ton truck was used. This is the same as NAPA #39017 or CarQuest #20-1584.
Put putty on the frame to mark the locations of the brake lines.

Are people still using this model of a dual MC? Any issues?

HTH.

John
Sal
SFC
SFC

Post by Sal »

Has anyone had any problems with New Star Master cylinders or wheel cylinders ? :?: Are they any good? :?:
:mrgreen:
1954 M37 WO/W
1969 M101A1
1967 M416
cuz
1SG
1SG

Post by cuz »

I emailed New Star and their cylinders are from Taiwan.
Wes K
wsknettl@centurytel.net

MVPA 22099

Sal
SFC
SFC

Post by Sal »

OK Wes. But have you heard anything about them being good or bad ?
1954 M37 WO/W
1969 M101A1
1967 M416
Tanner
SGT
SGT

Post by Tanner »

Country of manufacture has zip to do with the QUALITY of what they manufacture...

I sell wire & cable for electrical & signal use to military/telecom/industrial drive & automation/gaming/etc., industries... and it's all produced from raw copper & very high-quality shielding/jacketing at our manufacturing facilities in India, China & Hong Kong. Quality comes from the manufacturing processes/testing/quality control that the manufacturer puts into place. We have all the required UL/CE/EU/TUV/ISO/etc., standards & produce wire & cable on higher quality / newer equipment than many of the 'few remaining' US manufacturers that still mfg in the States or in Mexico...

'T'