Talk about your truck here

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

Oddjob
SGT
SGT

Treating rust on seams...

Post by Oddjob »

Treating rust on seams...

Any tips... I was looking at this spray that eastwood has... Thats supposed to convert the rust behind it... Don't know what you guys recommend but I don't want to go to paint leave the truck out side for some time or it get a little wet and rust start in again from an area I should have treated better... Being that my paint is in a fragile state right now we are going to start treating the areas that are bad and following up with a rattle can over top to give it more protection before we go to final paint...
refit1701
1SG
1SG

Post by refit1701 »

These rust treatments are ok as a temporary fix but when you go for the final, costly paint job, you need to remove as much rust as possible. Either grinding it away and acid etching the metal or replacing bad sections.

If you just want to get rust to pause until later, hit it with a wire brush and and then spray the rust treatment, followed by a topcoat. Follow the manufacturers recomendations.
-John
Member of Dixie Division MVC

1953 USAF M37 wow, restored
1962 M151 Ford Production, on the rotisserie now
1953 USMC M37 w/w -in storage
1942 M6 Bomb Service Truck (sold to UK collector)
1967 M116A1 Pioneer Trailer
1968 M101A1 Trailer
S-89 Comm box
Sal
SFC
SFC

Post by Sal »

I was wondering if anyone had heard of or used this method of removing rust by Electrolytic ? I haven't tried it but it sounds interesting....
http://www.stovebolt.com/techtips/rust/ ... usting.htm
1954 M37 WO/W
1969 M101A1
1967 M416
powerwagontim
SFC
SFC

Post by powerwagontim »

Hi Sal,
Go to the Power Wagon page www.dodgepowerwagon.com
At the top of the forum page is a list of options. Choose "Phil's PW Archives" Then in the archives is a "Search Archives" option. There has been a lot of discussion of the electrolytic rust removal. Several guys have done it and with good results. One guy did an entire frame. You will find a ton of info about it.
Tim
Sal
SFC
SFC

Post by Sal »

I didn't realize Tim that this was so well know. There's a lot of information on that Dodge power wagon site. I guess using a Stainless Steel Electrode in the basement is a no-no... Looks like it works pretty good. To bad I don't have a swimming pool..LOL Thanks Tim
1954 M37 WO/W
1969 M101A1
1967 M416
N1VSM
SSGT
SSGT

Post by N1VSM »

Sal wrote:I was wondering if anyone had heard of or used this method of removing rust by Electrolytic ? I haven't tried it but it sounds interesting....
http://www.stovebolt.com/techtips/rust/ ... usting.htm
How ironic - I'm doing exactly that with my PTO driveshaft (piece by piece). Works very well as long as you are smart about it. Would definitely do the whole truck in a swimming pool if I could, although I'm sure the lye (that's what I use in the bath) would do nasty things to the liner.
You can trust your mother, but you can't trust your ground.