Another Tire Question?

Talk about your truck here

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

Montanaorbust
PFC
PFC

Another Tire Question?

Post by Montanaorbust »

I found 4, like new Super Swampers (Boggers) 38.5x11.00-16lt. These tires look great, especially for 600.00!! I know that these tires are very aggressive, and I might be at risk of snapping an axle or something, but these tires will fit on my stock rim, right? I have been looking for a solution for getting a taller more aggressive tire. Before, I was trying to make the wheels and tires off an m35 work for my m37, but the dollars where adding up quickly at the machine shop. Then i looked into those adapter plate gama goat things, Hell that was expensive to get into also. These Boggers are still a fairly narrow tire, which i definitely favor. So the backspacing shouldn't be a problem? The price is right.. Anyone see any problems with running the ss boggers? Better yet, anyone running these tires currently? Plus these tires are a couple of miles from the house.. I think i will buy them even if i dont run them..
MSeriesRebuild
1SG
1SG

Post by MSeriesRebuild »

You'll have to be your own judge.

My opinion is this on Super Swampers, they are far and away the worst tires I ever run, I wouldn't give $5 for a train load of them.
Charles Talbert
www.mseriesrebuild.com
achiem37
PFC
PFC

Bogger tires

Post by achiem37 »

I run these tires now on my CDN M37 and love the look ,,,, but the ride and noise leave a lot to be desired. I have about 5000 miles on them and the treads are over half worn and in a funny pattern as well. I have rotated them and swapped them side to side but they are SOFT compund tires and the weight of the truck is hard on them. The truck does crusie around 55 mph no problem with the 251 CDN engine however. They are amazing offroad and in the mud. They are not so great in the sand but I don't have much of that stuff here anyways. The snow and ice forget it.. leave the truck in the garage as I do. For $ 600 I personnally would not buy these again myself. When driving slow ( 5 mph or so) they make the truck bounce when every tread block hits the road. They are always flat spotted even in cool weather. They are very hard to balance and mine always seem to need weights adjusted every year. One tire has around 8 ounces of lead on it!. They fit no problem on the stock rim but an 8" rim is ideal. They do not bulge in the tread centre like you would think and the sidewalls do not stick out further than my NDT's did. They are not as tough as the NDT's in the sidewall area but are light years ahead in traction. The one bonus is everyone loves the agressive look from them and the taller size. If they were radials and a harder tread I would buy them again. I think for $600 you could find something pretty close that will outlast these. Expect about 10,000 miles out of them if you drive carefully ... I can send you pics of the tires on my truck and how they wear if you want some.. Terry
W_A_Watson_II
SFC
SFC

Post by W_A_Watson_II »

My IROK Super Swampers have been just fine. I've heard issues with the older tires. The rocks will do a little chewing on them, but then again I do tend to try things that I perhaps should not. Mine are on custom wheels as they are 17's. Mine are a pleasant ride and low noise as well, but they are not the Boggers either. Mine are radials and balancing hasn't been needed.
Thanks,
Will
1946 Dodge Power Wagon
1953 Dodge M37 - "Frankenstein"
My 1953 Dodge M37 WEB Site
T. Highway

Post by T. Highway »

I had a set of these on a lifted Chevy 3/4 ton a few years back and I wouldn't ever buy them again. The tire noise was insane and they wore out in about 9 months of daily use.
1952 M37 W/W Rebuild @ 59% complete
Engine rebuild @ 95% complete
1985 M1009, 1990 M101A2, 2008 M116A3 Pioneer tool trailer
MVPA # 24265
NRA Life Member
NRA Cert. Personal Protection Pistol Instructor
NRA Cert. RSO
Class III RSO/KCR
Montanaorbust
PFC
PFC

Post by Montanaorbust »

Ok..Ok I get it.. Just a thought... It seemed like a good deal. Im sure the tires price for much more than 600.00. Does anyone run The Michelin 1100r16 those 38.7 tires.. From what i have heard everyone is real happy with them, but very hard to find.. i just gotta find me some new shoes. these maypop 9x16 ndt's are getting rough.. do you still need to use a tube when not running ndt's?
Cal_Gary

Post by Cal_Gary »

A lot of guys run the 1100x16 Michelins, although I am not one of them. I like the look of the NDT (debated in numerous posts here).
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
MVPA Correspondent #28500
T. Highway

Post by T. Highway »

Montanaorbust, I wasn't busting your chops, I just didn't want someone else to learn the hard way like I did.

I run the Michelin 1100-16s on my M and yes you need to use tubes and flaps. 8)
1952 M37 W/W Rebuild @ 59% complete
Engine rebuild @ 95% complete
1985 M1009, 1990 M101A2, 2008 M116A3 Pioneer tool trailer
MVPA # 24265
NRA Life Member
NRA Cert. Personal Protection Pistol Instructor
NRA Cert. RSO
Class III RSO/KCR
Montanaorbust
PFC
PFC

Post by Montanaorbust »

Im so excited i could scream.. Just bought 4 New Michelin 1100-16s from a man in cali.. Found them on craislist a few hours ago.. He has plenty left, all brand new, never used. Four for a thousand.. Plus 200.00 shiping. I couldnt resist. I think i will be very happy. this guy is great!! Very helpful, His name is Jeff, Here is the link if anyone is interested.. He didnt know where to get tubes and flaps for that tire... Any of you men know where i could find some? Thanks everyone for there input.. http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/pts/1607712793.html
MSeriesRebuild
1SG
1SG

Post by MSeriesRebuild »

Montanaorbust wrote:Im so excited i could scream.. Just bought 4 New Michelin 1100-16s from a man in cali.. Found them on craislist a few hours ago.. He has plenty left, all brand new, never used. Four for a thousand.. Plus 200.00 shiping. I couldnt resist. I think i will be very happy. this guy is great!! Very helpful, His name is Jeff, Here is the link if anyone is interested.. He didnt know where to get tubes and flaps for that tire... Any of you men know where i could find some? Thanks everyone for there input.. http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/pts/1607712793.html
You will be much happier with those tires.
Charles Talbert
www.mseriesrebuild.com
W_A_Watson_II
SFC
SFC

Post by W_A_Watson_II »

Let us know how you don on getting tubes and flaps. I'm still waiting on the flaps to arrive at the distributor.
Thanks,
Will
1946 Dodge Power Wagon
1953 Dodge M37 - "Frankenstein"
My 1953 Dodge M37 WEB Site
Montanaorbust
PFC
PFC

Post by Montanaorbust »

Would 900x16 tubes be pushing it for the Michelin 1100x16s?
Montanaorbust
PFC
PFC

Post by Montanaorbust »

Just odered tubes and flaps.. They have hundreds in stock.. Dealt with a really great guy, Rusty 1.800.325.2860 ext.102 or tireinnertubesforsale.com
Tubes..$30.38
Flaps..$18.95
Oh, Plus free shipping!!!! He said they will be here early next week..
Men thanks, once agian. i have learnt so much about tires over the last couple of days and meat some great folks along the way.. Thats what it all about.
Montanaorbust
PFC
PFC

Post by Montanaorbust »

One more note, Sorry. I was talking about the tubes and flaps for the michelin 1100x16. Im sure he has about anything you want, if he has that many of these hard to find ones. Ok i rest my Case.
Carter
1SG
1SG

Post by Carter »

Any of you men know where i could find some?
Auto & Truck HQ in Havre de Grace Md, Glenn McIntosh @ 410 939-4462

$26 tube and $12 flap
Carter
Life Member:
Delta, Peach Bottom Fish & Game Assn.