T245 Engine internal upgrades

Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

bubba_got_you
SGT
SGT

Post by bubba_got_you »

Steel Rain wrote:Bubba, I've seen a couple different ideas on the V8 front, I am not very keen on chopping and reengineering the whole truck really.
well my truck is 95% stock :wink:
May God grant me with the serenity to accept the things I cannot shoot, The ability to shoot the things I can and a place to hide the bodies
Steel Rain
PVT
PVT

Post by Steel Rain »

Sorry Bubba, wasn't trying to offend! Hope I didn't, Was the swap relatively easy? What kind of trans are you running? How much did you have to modify to get the 318 to fit?
bubba_got_you
SGT
SGT

Post by bubba_got_you »

Steel Rain wrote:Sorry Bubba, wasn't trying to offend! Hope I didn't, Was the swap relatively easy? What kind of trans are you running? How much did you have to modify to get the 318 to fit?
Oh no offense taken.
The swap was simple actually I just cant run a fan (I didn’t want to anyways to ad HP) and I have to run a electric fan. If you use the stock tranny and not the np435 like I used and you can use a fan but it was simpler for me to just nix the fan and go with an electric fan. Other than that it was just about making mounts and bolting it in. I would sagest to anyone to just buy a kit from ugly truckling and then its almost a bolt in swap.
May God grant me with the serenity to accept the things I cannot shoot, The ability to shoot the things I can and a place to hide the bodies
nsternha

Post by nsternha »

Is Ray making kits again for the M37? I always thought Rays kit looked well built.
Steel Rain
PVT
PVT

Post by Steel Rain »

Hmmm, pretty simple sounds better than hacked up and chopped! I will get a suitable vehicle and decide once I tear into it what I'll do! I am also looking into this!\

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGIKaNjh ... re=related

Inline six twin turbo from the factory. Looking into dimensions now!
k8icu
1SG
1SG

Post by k8icu »

So you're looking for go fast and not grunt huh? You do know that the stock diffs in the truck are 5.81 ratio. With diffs that low you wont get that much go fast. Plus you have the NP200 transfercase which will be a weak link in the equation so you'll need to figure out that problem. These trucks weren't built for speed they were built for pull. I know you are not knew to modifing trucks but I wanted to point out some issues you'll have to overcome if you want go fast.

Actually the modification to the stock 230 I thought were really cool and duable and would give you some road speed and still keep some grunt to it too.
M37s are HMMWV in my world!
Steel Rain
PVT
PVT

Post by Steel Rain »

I'm not looking to go fast! Power to get the truck moving and being unique are good objectives to me. These engines make good torque with stock turbo's, 300hp and about 265tq from the factory on an engine that will last forever and will start in cold and run when I need it to. Electronic fuel injection and easy to maintain. If I change the drive ratios to get some more road speed, the engine won't be working too hard to get where I'm going! I'm just looking for options and considering what's available. The original engine in the M37 seems a liability, but if I can find a suitable 251 or 265 that's even better. Sometimes thinking way outside of the box develops new ideas and renewed interest in things for me! I know you guys have more experience with these vehicles than I do so don't get offended if I'm looking for ideas in places that are unorthodox! Sometimes that's how new ideas take shape!
Art
MSeriesRebuild
1SG
1SG

Post by MSeriesRebuild »

k8icu wrote:So you're looking for go fast and not grunt huh? You do know that the stock diffs in the truck are 5.81 ratio. With diffs that low you wont get that much go fast. Plus you have the NP200 transfercase which will be a weak link in the equation so you'll need to figure out that problem. These trucks weren't built for speed they were built for pull. I know you are not knew to modifing trucks but I wanted to point out some issues you'll have to overcome if you want go fast.

Actually the modification to the stock 230 I thought were really cool and duable and would give you some road speed and still keep some grunt to it too.
Why in your opinion is the NP200 a weak link?

We have rebuilt and used many in Cummins powered trucks, never the first issue in all types of applications. We have also developed and built an oil cooling system with an auxilary reservoir to double the oil capacity, this system also incorporates a spin-on oil filter. We have never had an issue because of over heating, but because they tend to run on the warm side of the spectrum, we developed this as an experimental project to see just how much we could cool it down. The system has a thermostatically controlled electric pump that circulates the oil from the case through a cooler core with a thermostatically controlled electric fan, then through the filter and into the auxilary oil reservoir. From there it is circulated back into the case. We will soon be to the point of doing a test run, I'm anxious to see how that goes.
Charles Talbert
www.mseriesrebuild.com
Josh
SFC
SFC

Post by Josh »

the NP200 is a tough chunk of iron. Charles and I don't agree on much, but, we do agree on that. The stock axles are the weak points.

I am a fan of 6 slugs in a row as well... have you considered a slant six? Those can belt out some serious power, are very tough, and respond well to being turbocharged.

The issue with most diesels is weight and size...the 5.9 is too long, and too heavy.

the 7.3 would probably fit, but, at 1300 lbs, its a heavy pig as well.

the duramax would probably fit, and is light(er) at 900-ish lbs, but is heavily computerized, and integrated into the rest of the vehicle. It can be done, but if you have to do a GM diesel, a 6.5 would be a much better choice, but lower on power.

The cummins 4bt fits good, as does the 3-53 detroit.
Steel Rain
PVT
PVT

Post by Steel Rain »

hadn't considered a slant six! I'm open to reasonable suggestions! I'll go look at the truck today. If the engine turns, I'll probably hold on to it initially and look thru it once I disassemble the truck. I've done many searches on the internet but haven't found much in terms of size dimensions of engines, the specs are all there but not much listing of length, weight etc!
Art
k8icu
1SG
1SG

Post by k8icu »

I was talking in a go fast application and the heat aspect that would come with a stock NP200 running at 60 MPH.... I was unaware that you had a solution for this and was speaking in a strickly stock set up. When he posted about the Toyota engine I got the impression he was looking to make a go fast "race" type truck and that is why I felt the NP200 would have issues. No I understand that he is looking for both go fast and yet some grunt off road type aspect. In stock truck application the NP200 is a work horse as is it's brother the NP205.

Yes and I agree with Josh the stock axles are a weak link as well.
M37s are HMMWV in my world!
MSeriesRebuild
1SG
1SG

Post by MSeriesRebuild »

We've got them running in applications as fast as 75MPH on highway with the Cummins. Never an issue of any kind, even with the warm operating temp.
Charles Talbert
www.mseriesrebuild.com
Master Yota
MSGT
MSGT

Post by Master Yota »

There is very little "re-engineering" that goes on with an engine swap in these trucks. The frame is more than adaquete, and other than building some engine mounts, and a transmission crossmember, there is very little else that needs alot of thought.

As said before, the stock axles are the weak link. My previous M37 had a 350, and Sm465 4spd. combo, and the stock gearing. It would regularly eat mustangs at a stop light, and I could bury the speedo at will without consequence. It even wheeled offroad well (lockers would have been nice). So long as the engine will fit between the fire wall,and radiator, the sky is the limit. Pick an engine with a rear sump oil pan, as it is needed to clear the front diff.

A Toyota landcruiser 6cyl (F, 2F motor) would probably be a reasonable option. The 4spd is tough, and the married tcase has a rear offset output just like the NP200. The LC is also heavy! So these engines have the grunt and RPM range to work well with whatever gearing you choose. LC's also had 4 and 6cyl diesels as well. They may also be an option. The Jeep 258 is also bullet proof.

Check out my buildup (project: Old Guard) and follow my 53 M37 as it gets a big block wedged between the rails. Good luck with the research.
Ray
1953 CDN. M37
1954 CDN. M152
Josh
SFC
SFC

Post by Josh »

and watch my build, as it gets a twin turbo big block wedged between teh rails... AH HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! :lol:
Steel Rain
PVT
PVT

Post by Steel Rain »

That sounds like a fun project! I went and looked at the truck today down in GA, but after contemplation and discussion with my Dad, I think I'll keep looking at this point for something in a bit better condition. I am in no hurry and can start to amass parts and materials for the suitable truck!